Photography/Cameras Camera and photography advice

Photographers of Yotatech

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great to finally see this thread come to life... been half a year since she was created now receiving the first sets of pics.

I just took a week long trip to Lake Powell in the desert of southern Utah. Some great pics coming soon
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Good lookin pics btw guys.

EvilMunkey, thinking a Rebel will be my next purchase... i'm getting bored with the SP-50UZ
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
All taken with a FujiFilm FinePix S1000fd. Wish I could afford a Rebel XSi.

Last edited by toylocost; 09-08-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM

FujiFilm FTW!! Heheh honestly they look great man especially the tractor shot
Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks man
Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by algranger
Good lookin pics btw guys.

EvilMunkey, thinking a Rebel will be my next purchase... i'm getting bored with the SP-50UZ
As the new guy, I hate to start any arguments. . .but I'd just suggest you play with a D90 (or D300, if your budget allows)! Personally I like the ergonomics of the Nikon semi-pro line better than the feel of most Canon DSLR's. If you end up going Nikon, just don't buy a D60 and you'll be good
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wylekyote
As the new guy, I hate to start any arguments. . .but I'd just suggest you play with a D90 (or D300, if your budget allows)! Personally I like the ergonomics of the Nikon semi-pro line better than the feel of most Canon DSLR's. If you end up going Nikon, just don't buy a D60 and you'll be good
No, arguments are very welcome, i'm sure anyone reading this thread (including me) would love to soak up bits of information relating to another one of their hobbies

I will definitely test around with a few Nikon's

You hear that everyone? "constructive" arguments are welcome so lets hear what you have to say
Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

I went w/ the Canon just due to my comfort level w/ their SLR's since I have owned film based Canons also. But I can say the D90 or D300 are nice cameras but a camera only makes up part of the equation. You have to have the eye to be able to see what your composing pre-shot.

And I take no offense to those that prefer Nikons over Canons that's just your choice
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wylekyote
Speaking of D60's.. with lines like that I'll have to go borrow one and shoot one side by side with my current body to prove how wrong that statement is..

I'd recommend Nikon over Canon at this stage of the game.. 3 years ago I'd be saying they're similar with Canon taking the edge.. but lots have changed and Nikon is so far ahead of Canon for the time being..

The image quality of D60's is extremely similar to that of the D90/D300, the biggest difference is the physical size of the body.. And the D60 still has fantastic ergonomics..
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by exist
I'd recommend Nikon over Canon at this stage of the game.. 3 years ago I'd be saying they're similar with Canon taking the edge.. but lots have changed and Nikon is so far ahead of Canon for the time being..
I agree if we're talking DSLR's, however, the absolute opposite is true regarding compacts.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by exist
Speaking of D60's.. with lines like that I'll have to go borrow one and shoot one side by side with my current body to prove how wrong that statement is..

The image quality of D60's is extremely similar to that of the D90/D300, the biggest difference is the physical size of the body.. And the D60 still has fantastic ergonomics..
Although I agree with your statements regarding Nikon vs Canon now and Nikon vs Canon 3 years ago, I have to disagree with you about the D60.

The biggest difference between the "consumer" level D60 and its semi-pro and pro-level counterparts is the fact that the D60 lacks a built-in AF motor, leaving users with the option of buying more expensive Nikon AF-S lenses (or the 3rd-party lenses that have focusing motors built into the lenses themselves, which are also more expensive than their non-motorized counterparts) or manually focusing with more affordable lenses. The size of the camera is obviously it's largest physical/cosmetic difference, but image quality is heavily reliant on good glass and good glass in the Nikon AF-S lineup isn't cheap. That's not to say that they're necessarily as much or more expensive than Canon lenses though. L-glass is some great stuff in a lot of cases, but its always pricey.

If you're ok with limiting your lens options based on availability of AF-S lenses as well as the prohibitive costs of those lenses, then the D60 really isn't a bad camera. It's sensor is still a CCD sensor, whereas the D90/D300 and up are now upgraded to CMOS sensors (which are less prone to noise and, at least in my opinion, are the main reason Nikon is now ahead of Canon in the dslr game).

Just my $.02, but if you're going to be dropping that kind of money on a camera, spend a little extra for a huge upgrade. I bought the D40x about 3 years ago and within a month I was kicking myself for not stepping up and getting the D80 that would actually autofocus with the lenses I was getting. . .I continued to kick myself all the way up until this June, when I bought my D90 I started out shooting film in fully manual cameras (aperture, shutter, focus, and film-winding ) and while I love the 'pure' feeling of shooting a roll of T-max through my Nikkormat and manually focusing every shot, a DSLR has all these features because they truly do make life a lot easier. If you're a bad photographer all the features in the world aren't going to make your pictures into works of art, but that's not to say that those features haven't saved a good photographer from getting some less than ideal images. . .
Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by tc
i agree if we're talking dslr's, however, the absolute opposite is true regarding compacts.

G10 >
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi
Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 28 mm
Exposure: -0.17
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
took this one last year at the top of cowles mountain. well, these.

shot on a cruddy old canon, but i think they turned out pretty good.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm loving the camera arguments. I'm new to photography so real life opinions and arguments are helping me out a lot.

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
took this one last year at the top of cowles mountain. well, these.

shot on a cruddy old canon, but i think they turned out pretty good.
Damn inversion. Great vantage point though
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm loving the camera arguments. I'm new to photography so real life opinions and arguments are helping me out a lot.
Yea Me to , Ive been following this thread since the start and am also liking what I see, learning a bit also.

I got a EOS Rebel xsi for fathers day and have only used it a couple times on auto , I need to find some time to just go out and really try it out.

I know nothing about thes cameras , have only ever used the regular ones .

oh the camera came with 2 lenses the EFS55-250 and the EFS18-55.

Thanks to all you that are posting the settings you are using!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Damn inversion. Great vantage point though
I've had a passion for photography since about 16, and switched majors from engineering to photography for a year...at which point I went back to petroleum engineering haha. But all biases aside, Nikon DSLRs above the D60 model are dominating right now, but Canon isn't out of the game. They'll eventually meet/beat the performance of the D90+ lineup, it's just a matter of whether Nikon has already taken another step forward as well.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Here are just a few of the 812 pics i took on the southern Utah vacation

This one looks like two kissing

My parents

Those three formations were probably about 200' tall

Coyote tracks (i think)

Ohhhhhh yeaaaaahh
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 PM

all mine is at azkid.deviantart.com
i have way too many to post here so i posted the link too.
i shoot too much macro, but i like it
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by RMA
Yea Me to , Ive been following this thread since the start and am also liking what I see, learning a bit also.

I got a EOS Rebel xsi for fathers day and have only used it a couple times on auto , I need to find some time to just go out and really try it out.

I know nothing about thes cameras , have only ever used the regular ones .

oh the camera came with 2 lenses the EFS55-250 and the EFS18-55.

Thanks to all you that are posting the settings you are using!!!

You will notice a huge difference in the Manual mode on the XSi since that is all I use myself, but I also only shoot in RAW format

Quick Reply: Photographers of Yotatech