Photography/Cameras Camera and photography advice

need some advice n buying a camera DSLR

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I didn't read as clear as I could have - however the problem with using the screen is autofocus isn't usually translated as quickly as it is in a viewfinder (I'm speaking SLR, not compact, so the screen stuff will be live view related..) and it kills batteries quicker than using a view finder..

I need to do some more research on the micro 4/3rds system, getting rid of shutters and such is a hit or miss idea - considering you'd have an exposed sensor when you pop a lens off.. right? So if you do get a piece of something on your sensor - say a drop of water or something like some dust - you can get a burn mark on your sensor that shows up in all your pictures, or destroys the sensor all together.. compared to using the ground glass and a closed shutter for protection over the sensor..

Also, the debate on full frame vs whatever.. I don't understand how a 4/3 sensor can be considered "full frame" when "full frame" is in reference to a 35mm film plane physical size.. and the physical size of a 4/3rd sensor is not that of a film slide..

And another 4/3rd question I have, as you seem to be more experienced in this area than I, is can you make it larger to be the same as a 35mm film slide, or does the aspect ratio of the sensor itself stop being a 4/3rd (as it's a 4:3 aspect ratio currently..) with film being a 3:2.. So.. you.. couldn't have a film slide size 4/3 sensor.. only larger/smaller..

Either way, yes the 4/3 is a way better sensor compared to compact cameras - but still isn't as good as an APS-C size or a full frame sensor in terms of physical size.. It's cheaper to make I guess but the advances that Olympus and such utilize (superb contrast based AF for movie mode (er.. panasonic slr)) are just as good, if not better on a larger sensor.. Olympus comes out with fantastic features that put the heat on other manufacturers when it comes to new buyers looking for a great system, and olympus gear is generally fantastic.. but throwing the little tips and tricks that Oly uses into a Nikon body makes the Nikon kick the out of the Olympus left right and center because the Oly 4/3 sensor itself can't generally keep up..

I think we're starting to clutter the thread up a little haha it's fantastic finding someone else that has some knowledge about photography related stuff as well, always makes for interesting conversation and lots of learning opportunities..

btw, whats in your bag?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL - A Canon Powershot A620. To be honest, with the full manual controls and really only viewing pictures on the computer screen, the return on investment for a DSLR just doesn't work out for me ... although I like taking low light photos and drool over a D3 everytime I read a review ...

Something like the new Olympus E-P1 - essentially a compact with a SLR sensor and interchangeable lenses would be perfect for me ... Sure it's no D3/700 or 5DMII, but then I'm not putting advertisements ont he side of a building either

Last edited by tc; 09-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should consider a D40/D60 kit as well then man, honestly it isn't about a return investment.. I have more invested in my camera gear than I had in my 90 teg, 92 gsr, 93 pickup and my 98 forester.. That's including buying each vehicle lol.. and I barely ever get paid or sell prints.. I got into photography because I love taking pictures - not because I wanted to get rich..

I'd love a D700 as well, but I just couldn't justify the expense over the cost of my D300.. Just wasn't worth it considering I don't have any FX zoom lenses, and I don't quite enjoy shooting prime..
Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do a lot of travel photography, and would rather not give the appearance of thousands of dollars of camera equipment around my neck - another reason the micro 4/3 is so attractive to me - looks like a P&S to any casual passerby.