Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

buick 225 v-6 in my 84 ex-cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buick 225 v-6 in my 84 ex-cab

well i have been planning to save up and do a 4.3 swap in the future but i was just told by a friend whose GPW was stolen and burned that if i help him salvage all the suspension parts he wants i can have the buick 225 v-6 it has in it that was rebuilt last winter and has maybe 4000 miles on it with a 4 barrel truck avenger and headers. the front of the truck wasn't burned just the back, it did getr hot enough to warp the distributor cap but not bad.

what i was wondering has anyopne used this motor in a toy? did you like it? and is it the same block as the oddfire? i dont know much about buicks so i am not sure. I was told the motormounts and bell housing are the standard chevy small block, is that really tru?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 PM

the problem with that is the cost of the motor and the cost of parts. 3.4's from the local junk yard go for 1200 for one that needs to be rebuilt and 2 grand for one with 80K on it! and i havent even looked at the lexus.

I have one 4.3 TBI in my DD and it is a fullsize long bed truck and will still pull hills so i wanted power like that and the cheap chevy parts and a used 4.3 is like 300 bucks, so financially it makes more sense.

Also almost all factory toyota and most after market parts are special order and i dont want to wait a week every time i break something.

Also i know chevy motors because i have owened alot and worked on alot of 350's so i feel more comfortable with them than a 3.4 or lexus motor.

I just need more HP to turn my 39.5x15 TSL's that are on it now!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I actually believe there are a couple guys on here with buick motors, give me a sec lemee hunt them down
Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buick v6 is actually a pretty popular swap but most people go with the 3.8 (231), good luck if you do the swap it should be pretty fricken sweet if you ask me. keep us updated.

The "Dauntless" 225 V6 engine was introduced in 1966 in the CJ and C101 models. The V6 configuration of the engine makes it very compact which is a big plus in tight Jeep engine compartments. Kaiser purchased the tooling to build the 225 from Buick and later, AMC sold the tooling back to Buick.

A desendent of this engine, the 231 (3.8L) V6, is used in GM cars to this day. The modernized and common 231 is a good canidate for replacing a blown 225. There are differences in the balancing of the engine though, so it can be tricky. The 225 is externally balanced and the 231 is internally balanced. This means you cannot just throw your 225 fly wheel on a 231, the 231 must be balanced.

The flywheel itself used with the 225 is not typical. The flywheels used in the Jeep vehicles are very thick and heavy to increase torque. The flywheels used in Buick cars are much lighter.

Since the 225 is a Buick engine, it uses the standard Buick bell housing. The standard Buick bell housing will bolt to a SM420, so this is probably the best transmission swap option for Jeeps equipped with this engine. The T-14 and T-86 3 speed transmissions used behind this engine are not known for their strength.

The Buick 225 uses a cast iron block and cylinder heads with mechanical lifters and 3 main bearings.

Dauntless Buick 225 V6
Bore x Stroke 3.75" x 3.40"
Displacement 225 (3.68L)
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Horsepower (net) 160@4200
Torque (net) 235@2400
Main Bearings 3
Valve Configuration OHV
Fuel 2bbl
Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Uno
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cycled-150806/

And..
I cant seem to find the member, Hes got a blue first get with a buick motor in it
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by toy89yota
Buick v6 is actually a pretty popular swap but most people go with the 3.8 (231), good luck if you do the swap it should be pretty fricken sweet if you ask me. keep us updated.
thanks for the info. man if it is making 160 HP and 235ftlbs with a 2bbl stock the one i am getting has ported and polished heads, RV cam and four barrel holley and headers!!! that should put me in the 250HP range i think!!! and i dont know what torque will be but should be near 275 if not higher!!! that should move my 39's easily. too bad they dont make an adapter for the t-19 tranny to the toyota transfercase, i think the t19 would be a little tougher that thn g52 i have now. or i might tryn and find a w56 or r150 to help handle the power if i grenade mine.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 AM

well i finally started the swap and got the old motor out, along with all the smog crap!! i got the new buick cleaned up and ordered a HEI distributor.

I ogt the bell housing from AA and installed that.

My only problem now is finding exhaust manifolds, and i need to either have my intake repaired or find a new 4brl intake!!!

I got some picks but need to get them off the camera still.

looks like next weekend i will probably swing her in and then start wiring and plumbing!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Good luck on the conversion. I agree with you the GM motors are way cheaper to repair. I have an '85 even fire Buick 231.
Look on EBay for an intake manifold, I’ve seen them for $30. Make sure you get the dual plane as the single will cost you low end torque. I think with the headers , manifold and cam you should get at least 200hp. You may want to get the TH350 trans it will hold up to anything the V6 puts out and is pretty cheap. Take note that the Buick bell housing is different than the Chevy, and the adapter is over $200. Can't wait for the pictures.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM

I had a buick 225 odd fire in my yota before i swaped the 4.3 in. The motor was nice because it was a deeper v and not as wide as the 4.3. The power was ok it had a hot cam and a 4 barrel on it with the hei conversion. It lacked a little bottom end but mid to high range was good. You have to beware of over reving these buicks though. They have really boney rods and it dosent take much to chicken wing one. But over all the swap was nice and i would do it again if i wasent going to run over 36 inch tires. I was lucky enough to have a dual bolt pattern turbo 350 so my conversion from buick to chevy was super easy.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM

thanks guys for the info. i was going to get a 4.3 until this 225 fell inmy lap for free!!! with only 4 thousand miles on it!!!! It does have an RV cam Weiland Dual plane intake and holley 4BBl so it should run real strong!!!

And if i grenade this one, i have both buick and chevy bolt patterns on the AA adapter so i can do the 4.3 swap still later down the road!!.

Here is a couple pics for you!:

here is her right after we yanked the motor and were cleaning out all the emissions crap i dont need anymore!!

new bell housing installed

the new motor minus a couple parts. Also i have the HEI distributor for it so the old one is gone now!! nice having a 1 wire alt dist and 2 wires on the starter to run the whole motor!!

here is the motor going in. finally measured it all up and built the motor mounts and she fits better than the old 22r IMO!! and all but the water pump is behind the front axle (axle moved forward 3.5") so the weight distribution should be great!!!

here is the final stance when i got her all in. not really any lower than it was before maybe 1/2".

Havent run her yet still waiting on exhaust but we are doing the stampede trail in the end of january to get to the bus from into the wild so i am excited to get her out and snow wheel!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Yeah man they fit nice in there because they are a deeper v engine i wanna say 60 or 65 degree the 4.3 is a 90 degree and is a bit wider. The engine compartment cleans up good with out all the excess garbage in it though
Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Just found this thread. Here's a link that may or may not help since you're so far along.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...090&highlight=

Love your pics.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM

yeah i have read that one, he even used the stock radiator!!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM

I telling the older motor like the one you have will not stay cool with a stock rad. I have tryed it it dosent matter how cool it is out side
Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Any updates...
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Any updates...
well ig ot the motor all bolted in plumbed the heater lines, fuel lines and plumbed my oil filter relocation.

Put a elddebrock carb on there i got for free and got the HEI installed with new plugs and wires!! it is starting to look like a motor!!

All i need to do now is exhaust and P/S lines. Turns out that my friend has a newer chevy P/S pump that he said were metric fittings and he thought might allow my toyota lines to thread right up to it so i might try that before having custom lines made.

Also going to get the local shop to make me some headers, cause they think they can do it cheaper and quicker than ordering the AA ones. and then i dont have to pay shipping and wait the 3-4 weeks like everything else coming to alaska!!

I will try and get pics tonight when i get back out there!

It is soooo close i can taste it!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 PM

lets see some pics
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mouse4x4
lets see some pics
sorry havent taken any new pics lately, i have been helping a friend get his truck running so he can wheel one last time before he gets deployed.

Should be out there working on it tonight so i will try and take somoe new ones!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Is that adapter you used old stock from AA or something special order? It's not on their site that I could find. I'm looking at different options for when my 22R pops, if I'm able to, I'd like to go with something bigger but I have a perfectly good W56 in my truck already and half the stuff to do dual toy cases so I'd like to keep that stuff.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 01-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
Is that adapter you used old stock from AA or something special order? It's not on their site that I could find. I'm looking at different options for when my 22R pops, if I'm able to, I'd like to go with something bigger but I have a perfectly good W56 in my truck already and half the stuff to do dual toy cases so I'd like to keep that stuff.
there chevy adapter is actually a chevy/buick adapter. if you read the instrucction manuall from the GM one it will tell you about both. it also will do GM and buick v-8 and the motor mounts are the same respectively too so if you want to go bigger later it is still usable.

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
sorry havent taken any new pics lately, i have been helping a friend get his truck running so he can wheel one last time before he gets deployed.

Should be out there working on it tonight so i will try and take somoe new ones!
Did not get out there last night cause i passed out after getting home from working a 12 and had no ambition but i will definately take more pics and keep you guys updated!! i hope to hear her fire as soon as this weekend!!

Quick Reply: buick 225 v-6 in my 84 ex-cab