Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

buick 225 v-6 in my 84 ex-cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ITS ALIVE!!!!!! didn't get any new pics but got to hear her roar last night!!! all i got to do now is get exhaust done have my custom P/S line made and wire my electric fan and i will out for a test ride!!! i am so stoked!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM

some teaser pics:
motor pics:

got bored with some spray on bed liner:

patrick added some paint to the hood......

and the sticker:

alli got to do is finish building the exhaust and mont up and plump the P/S pump and wire the fan and we should be good for sunday!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM

little teaser:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=54561935

she is alive, but still bleeding... turns out i got a crack in my old radiator from ?? so i need to get a bigger and better one. seeing if i can find a 3.0 radiator out of a second gen for cheap or i will have to wait until payday for the fancy one.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that on odd-fire 225 out of a old jeep?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by toy89yota
is that on odd-fire 225 out of a old jeep?
yep origionally out of a 68 cj-5a and i got it out of a 43 GPW that was stolen and burnt but the motor only had 4k on it and some good aftermarket parts and head work done to it so it is a ripping engine and torquey as all get out.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Here's a link to someone who is doing it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714752

If you search, he also did another one with all factory parts.

Last edited by phildelfino; 03-23-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM

Hey ryantowry 81..
I've been thinking about doing a swap from a 327 to a 225 buick too. i have one stored and planning to rebuild.
My sbc is just too much power for wheelin' out here in lava land and also driving it to and from work.
I had my fun with the 327 but its just not practical for me anymore. it really belongs in a camaro.

And plus, it just totally attracts the wrong kind of attention in traffic. like those stupid hondas. they're always trying to race me.

I pick torque more than HP now. and those 225 buicks has lots of torque. i got one in my 69 jeepster.

You've done a great job on the truck!

Mike

85 Toyota p/u 4X4 & matching trailer
SBC 327 (and its too damn powerful)

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

69 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 4X4
(27k original miles, my daily driver)
Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Here's a link to someone who is doing it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714752

If you search, he also did another one with all factory parts.
yeah kiwi has some great !! his stuff is way oer my head, but still different than the odd fire casue his stuff is the new even fired EFI stuff which is same basic design but different mounts and everything else.

I wish i had a EFI supercharged motor!!!

Originally Posted by KONASTAR
Hey ryantowry 81..
I've been thinking about doing a swap from a 327 to a 225 buick too. i have one stored and planning to rebuild.
My sbc is just too much power for wheelin' out here in lava land and also driving it to and from work.
I had my fun with the 327 but its just not practical for me anymore. it really belongs in a camaro.

And plus, it just totally attracts the wrong kind of attention in traffic. like those stupid hondas. they're always trying to race me.

I pick torque more than HP now. and those 225 buicks has lots of torque. i got one in my 69 jeepster.

You've done a great job on the truck!

Mike

85 Toyota p/u 4X4 & matching trailer
SBC 327 (and its too damn powerful)

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

69 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 4X4
(27k original miles, my daily driver)

i will trade you i want the 327 to go with the one tons the crew cab i want to build and the 44" tractor tires for the next installment!!!! lol i guess that will have to wait unti after i get done paying for the engagement ring i am gambling on right now!!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
yeah kiwi has some great !! his stuff is way oer my head, but still different than the odd fire casue his stuff is the new even fired EFI stuff which is same basic design but different mounts and everything else.

I wish i had a EFI supercharged motor!!!

i will trade you i want the 327 to go with the one tons the crew cab i want to build and the 44" tractor tires for the next installment!!!! lol i guess that will have to wait unti after i get done paying for the engagement ring i am gambling on right now!!
lol... you got your hands full bud!

Mike
Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 AM

lol... you got your hands full bud!

Mike
tell me about it i got projects and ideas coming out of my ears!!!

i also got a 68 camino with a 383 stroker and a 700r4 under construction and buying a house soon, and still trying to find time to get a bear and a moose this season, soo i got my hands FULL!! luckily with the 22 hours of daylight in the summer here you can get alot done and i can sleep when i am dead!! lol
Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
tell me about it i got projects and ideas coming out of my ears!!!

i also got a 68 camino with a 383 stroker and a 700r4 under construction and buying a house soon, and still trying to find time to get a bear and a moose this season, soo i got my hands FULL!! luckily with the 22 hours of daylight in the summer here you can get alot done and i can sleep when i am dead!! lol
Sweet!

oh' yeah.. when you buy that house, make sure it has big garage for all your toys!

very important! lol...

Mike
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Sweet!

oh' yeah.. when you buy that house, make sure it has big garage for all your toys!

very important! lol...

Mike
tell me about it i already own 3 vehicles and am looking into a cheap boat with an outboard jet for hunting and fishing season and then the fiance's tahoe, and i know she is going to want a spot in the garage with the -25 mornings we get here in the winter. i am trying to talk her into a huge ahop with a loft to live in but i havent convinced her yet...lol

back on topic though, i just got paid so i am going to find me a radiator from a 3.0 v-6 and throw that in there cause i think a 3 core rad of that size has cooled the 3.4 so it should cool my 3.7 and hopefully i can have this thing wheeling by this weekend!!! i will have to get pics if i can find one!!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM

well a little update:

I got a aluminum radiator for the buickfrom a friend in trade for some work so i should be able to get that in and tune her up a little and build my snorkle and go wheel her on sunday!!

I do need new sylenoids for my warn m8000 but can t find any warn sylinoids here in town, but a friend told me there is a ford starter sylinoid that is identical, anyone else heard of this?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 AM

I replaced a couple solenoids on my warn 8274 with non warn pieces awhile back & they worked.

Mike
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM

I replaced a couple solenoids on my warn 8274 with non warn pieces awhile back & they worked.

Mike
yeah i went and talked to the local six states and they had some solenoids from snow plows that are the exact same as the warn ones with a 85% duty cycle instead of the 35 or 45% the warn ones are and they were only 9.98 a piece!! way better than the 40 bucks a peice for the warn ones!!!

so now i got all the parts to go do some seriousl snow wheeling this sunday so i just got to get off my arse and get them installed!!

pics and video will follow!! going out with some jeeps so i know i will get some good winching in...lol
Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM

so i got the new aluminum radiator installed and fixed a couple oil leaks i had, still have one more but i have to drain down the oil and reseal my remote oil filter adapter.

went out to go wheel on a bright sunny day and was cruising down the road enjoying the new power and cooling system was working flawlessly, and then the temp just started to rise and rise and quick and then i realized i had no P/S so i pulled over and ended up shredding a belt for my waterpump and knocking off the one for the P/S i made it 500yards from the trail head one of these days i will actually get to wheel this thing!!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM

hey man im wantin to do this swap and ive got a 92 3.0 auto 4x4 with a 4in lift ....what all am goin to need for this swap and will i have to have the double transfer case?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM

you will have to pull the 3.0 and auto and put in a 5speed or the buick auto then adapt back to the toyota t case or use the chevy one. as far as i know there is no way to hook the buic to a toyota auto....
Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

aight man thank ya

well i dont think i need to switch it to a 5spd b/c thats too complicated from what i heard is this true?

& if i use the chevy t-case would i be able to use the toyota drive shaft or would i have to change the whole drive train? what about the front drive shaft would i be able to use it?

im sorry for all the questions this is my first swap...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by senior2010
aight man thank ya

well i dont think i need to switch it to a 5spd b/c thats too complicated from what i heard is this true?

& if i use the chevy t-case would i be able to use the toyota drive shaft or would i have to change the whole drive train? what about the front drive shaft would i be able to use it?

im sorry for all the questions this is my first swap...
without using the toyota 5 speed with the AA bellhousing you are talking custom transmission mounts, drive shafts, linkage, speedo cable length and other little issues.

If this is your first swap and you are set on the buick, i would get a w series tranny and t case and the advanced adapters bell housing. converting to 5 speed from auto is not that hard and i feel alot less custom fab work than a chevy auto. just my 2 cents though

Quick Reply: buick 225 v-6 in my 84 ex-cab