Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

4.3 swap started

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.3 swap started

Hey guys, it's me again. I have been talking about doing a 4.3 swap with all my buds here and somehow managed to get 2 free engines in the same week. 1 4.3 chevy is complete, minus the injectors and is a vortec version. It' has a spun bearing, but I dont know how bad it is yet. The second engine is a bare block and the owner told me that it would need to be bored over, no biggie, it's TBI as well.

Im thinking of rebuilding the first engine with a crank kit and some good flat top and forged chevry 350 pistons and some clevite bearings and then getting a painless wiring kit and redoing my old round fuse block with a newer and updated fuse block as well. Then tying it all into a ECU and wiring harness.

I may also go with a set of headers since I will have to have the exhaust done, nothing fancy tho, Im a fan of Magnaflow myself. Flowmasters are good, but they are too loud all the time, and Magnaflows have a nice quiet idle but when you get on the pedal they exhaust really screams.

Now that I hava nice job again. Im also debating on going pure engine or buliding it for a possible supercharger down the road. I had a paxton novi 2000 on my mustang and loved it so much.

I'm having a bit of trouble debating on which transmission to go with for this swap. I have been leaning towards teh 700r4 for the overdrive and automatic but I curently have the original 4 speed in there.. Do you guys think I should go with the w56 or the auto 700r4? There nothing major needed for either. and the cost will be about the same. A new driveshaft if I install the 700r4, or a 400+ dollar adapter if I use the toyota.

I had planned on using the toyota xfer case, they are some of the best and are very sturdy.

I have been readin and lookin for info on these swaps for a while now and would really love to hear someone chime in that has done this swap to a first gen if possible.

Here are my goals for this year:
4.3L Vortec Chevy Swap
Magnaflow Exhaust
Decent headers
5.29's
35-39" tires
TRANNY ???
4x4 shift kit if auto used
Rear locker with 5.29's or 4.88's
Warn winch the one with the buil in air
Wabfab's front and rear bumpers and sliders (2 hour drive)
Some black beadlock style wheels
New bed (fiberglass)
New hood and fenders
New paint

maybe finally redo the interior.. who knows
Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Other tranny choices are the r-series toyota 5spds or an ax15. If you were going with a 350 ide say go with an auto but I think you might be happier with a manual.

Should be fun

Oh and instead of that $$$ warn winch on the list you should just get some onboard air and who knows maybe an airlocked front

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 05-21-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 AM

I think i have narrowed them all down the the 700r4 with the yota dual tcase. I want to keep it a daily driver and I do get on the highway every once in a while, so im thinking 35's with 4.88's or 5.29s with a 4x4 kit in the 700r4 and a t350 gov cluster. Hard part is finding one around here for a reasonable prices, I called a junkyard yesterday and they wanted 1250.00 for one that they did not even think worked. I can rebuild the tranny myself, i just had doing trannies and carbs. The 4.3 I have is TBI so that's good.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:48 AM

I performed the 4.3 swap last summer using a 91 tbi engine and a 700r4 on a 1985 xtracab. I would go with the 700r4 over w56, also I'm running 34" tires with 4:10's and there is no lack of low end power. I also installed a trans go stage2 shift kit. Check out some of my pics I have posted. I would also recommend not buying a swap kit, they're over priced and I was disappointed by how cheaply built some of the items were, all you really need to buy is the trans/transfer adapter and motor mounts. I like the stuff I got from advanced adapter.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 AM

Did you have to get all new driveshafts to complete this swap?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 AM

I did get new drivelines front and rear for 3 reasons,1: I had to use a 4" susp. lift to clear the front shaft on the trans. pan and custom y pipe 2: with the lift I was almost out of slip yoke travel on front, and 3: the carrier bearing on the rear and slip yoke on front were garbage. As far as location I put the trans-case back in stock location on crosssmember. The worst part was by doing this I couldn't clear a 4 1/4" electric puller fan between the Be Cool Alum. swap radiator and the waterpump. I used a flex fan unshrouded and put a 12" pusher in front on a toggle just in case, however I just found a thin line elec. that's 3 1/2" thick w/2500cfm that will fit using elec. t-stat. Another thing I found using this location is that I had to use a 2" body lift to clear the air cleaner housing and distributor. These swaps aren't hard but there is a lot thinking and planning to be done that takes time. Hope this helps, any more ques. feel free to ask!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:31 PM

I will be following this build. I've got a 4.3L vortec TBI out of a 92 or 94 in the garage for a rainy day.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiayota
I will be following this build.
me too...am debating about this swap too...especially since I just went 35's...
Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
me too...am debating about this swap too...especially since I just went 35's...
I think its funny how many people on this forum are now thinking and leaning towards the chevy 4.3

cant wait to see some pics of that motor install
Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the fact that you want more power and the toyota motor is just does not have enough for you.

but dont you think it would be easier to just buy a chevy with a 4.3L and then make that a trai rig or a DD/trail rig?

IMO I can see an expensive and time consuming project

first you upgrade the motor to a chevy 4.3 or 5.7
then the upgrade the tranny to the 700r4
then you get an atlas so you can do front digs and do some real rock crawling
then you get a 14 bolt cause you blew up the toyota rear end
then you get a HP super 60 cause your wanting to run those 44's

then your just a chevy with a toyota body and thats just weird

LOL i think i might build a chevy now

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Subscribed to this thread.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 AM

I'm picking up the 2nd 4.3 this Sunday and I'll get some pics up of both motors. I'm having trouble finding a 700r4 here locally and may end up going with the 460lE. Since my 80 is not computer wired like the EFI 22r, I can just grab the wiring harness and all from the donor vehicle i get the tranny from and wire up the electric shift for the 4l60.

I get the fact that you want more power and the Toyota motor is just does not have enough for you.

but dont you think it would be easier to just buy a Chevy with a 4.3L and then make that a trai rig or a DD/trail rig?

IMO I can see an expensive and time consuming project

first you upgrade the motor to a Chevy 4.3 or 5.7
then the upgrade the tranny to the 700r4
then you get an atlas so you can do front digs and do some real rock crawling
then you get a 14 bolt cause you blew up the toyota rear end
then you get a HP super 60 cause your wanting to run those 44's

then your just a chevy with a toyota body and thats just weird

LOL i think i might build a chevy now
No. This is my daily driver. But i want the 4.3 because i just got two of them for free and I love the 4.3 and fuel injection. I'm still not 100% sold on the tranny and still may end up going with the W56. Depends on pricing and availability. I know for a fact the i will be running at least 35's , i would love to get 37-38's etc..

This is not going to be a quick project. I wen and bought a 84 Celica just to drive while this thing is down, so i could get back and forth to work. I can drive one of the dune buggies but i don't like to drive them in the rain :p

My end goal is not trail with this vehicle. It's a military themed "survivor" or "tough truck". Daily driven but able to go where you standard 4x4's will not and handle a tad bit more abuse when out on the trail. Think of a "search and rescue" vehicle. A little bit of everything all into one. I'm in the south we dont have a lot of rocks here. Here in the dirty south we have swamps, woods and trails and lots of Georgia red clay.

Last edited by scooper; 05-28-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelling.. derrr
Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM

we are going to be doing this swap as well. going on friday to get a full 91 s-10 for $300. to put it in this. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...ee-toy-147609/
Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM

I would go w/ the 700r4 over the 4l60E ( "E" stands for eletronic ) because the 700r4 can be converted to a completely mechanical trans ie. turbo 350w/ overdrive where the 4l60e relies on the ecu for shift points and vehicle speed. It shares this info. with the engine ecu, not a tranny ecu for this info, besides the 4l60 has a different mounting surface where the engine oil pan bolts on the vortec are acessed through the bellhousing of the transmission. As for the w56 buy a Downey catolog and read the section on tranny selection. I'm not saying buy anything from them but, they offer some good advice. When you get the engine in place there's very little room between the frame and headers/exhaust manifolds where the clutch slave and hose would be. Save yourself time and money and go with a 700r4 and get the kit from painless that lets you convert it to mechanical,and as for converting your toyota to a chevy, Toyota's drive train ie. axles, transfercase, frame, and driveshafts were over engineered for a 100H.P. 4 cyl. . Besides the 4.3 TBI in a Z engine code is only rated @ 165 H.P., but it's the torque that you feel when you get on it. My first vehicle was an '86 Toyota 4x4 w/22r, I drove that thing 5 years with no problems except a severe lack power, merging on the freeway @ 40mph, getting my doors blown off by a volkswagon. I wouldn't trade my converted toy for anything and I have yet to get beat @ a stop light off the line. Like I tell my friends, I'd race anything for 50' and win!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM

What are you doing with your 22r/20r hybrid?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 AM

I plan on using the hybrid until I have ALL the parts needed. So far, i now have 2 1/2 4.3's laying around, I have a good deal on a 700r4 at a local junkyard that just came in and Im going to try to get the cash up and after this I will need a few more parts. It's not a quick project. After the swap, no telling i'll probably sell the engine and tranny or do some trading or w/e
Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Chevy v6 and 700r4 transmission

I bought a 1991 toyota two years ago. Then bought a 22re engine to replace the worn out engine. 10,000 miles after new or rebuilt engine installed transmission went out. I just took this back to the mechanic after 5000 miles to fix tranny again. So far Toyota is running me broke..

Can I put in a Chevy v6 with a 700r4 tranny. This is a 91 toyota auto 4x4 ex cab.

Will any of my original parts in the engine compartment work.
power steering, brakes, a/c, etc

will i be able to use same transfer case? (cable driven speed sensor) same drive line?

is there anyway to hook up auto shift link and 4x4.

If there is any thing I missed as far as hooking things up please let me know. I HATE surprisses.

I dont need much help breaking things but I need a lot of help fixing them.lol
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Where to mount the 4.3l computer in my 4runner

OK we are finally getting my 4.3l swap into my 90 runner completed. Where did you guys mont your GM computer? It doesnt want to go anywhere to easy except maybe in front of the shifter. What did you all do with the placement of your gm computer???
Old 10-24-2009, 01:54 PM

I mounted mine in same location as toyota factory ecu. Only difference was I made some different brackets to hold the ecu. I also had to cut a new hole in the firewall closer to the heater core to get the GM factory harness to reach the ecu. I've got some pics of it on my user page.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 PM

I am also doing a 4.3 swap. I am still working out the trans decision too. My choices are either a good ole 350 turbo with a 203/205 doubler or the cast 5-speed toy trans with a 4:1 gear.

My 4.3 is a vortec and I am running my ecm right on the dash because this thing is strictly off-road. I had a 22r with a cam and a few other goodies but she got tired. I am really leaning to the yota trans.

I agree with some on here though if your running on the street I would roll with the 700r4.

Quick Reply: 4.3 swap started