Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

OM617 swap into 1988 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OM617 swap into 1988 4runner

Hi everyone,
I've been searching for the most fuel efficient off-road SUV available for a long time. I finally decided that the OM617 and the 4runner are the best option because of the availability of parts. So after a year of thinking it over, the swap is now underway.

I'm not a mechanic. I just want the right vehicle for my needs. So please don't flame me for using incorrect terminology. Perhaps more importantly, don't flame me for hiring a machine shop to do the swap for me. I'm going to start posting some pictures, but since the machine shop is about a 7 hour drive roundtrip, I don't have the chance to take pictures of each step of the process. So I'll do my best. First of all, here is the 4runner. I bought it for $2750, and thought I got a good deal until 5 days later when I found out the head gasket was blown. So that's when I knew I had to decide whether to put more money into the unpopular 3.0 V6 or find something else.

I added up the cost of getting all the individual parts for the OM617 (engine, turbo, oil cooler, glow plugs, radiator, power steering pump, etc), and then I found a nice little donor car for $1500. I bought the car so I can sell it for parts when I'm finished and reclaim some of my money. So I'll include a picture of the donor car too.
Attached Thumbnails OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-4runner.jpg   OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-m1.jpg  

Last edited by Circle; 12-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Here are some pics of the engine as it's being rebuilt by the machine shop. It's getting new piston rings, bearings, gaskets, valve seals, timing chain, tensioner and a lot of other things the shop suggested. I also had the injectors rebuilt.
Attached Thumbnails OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-block1.jpg   OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-block2.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Here are some pics of the engine after it has mostly been reassembled, and a shot of the engine bay. I asked them to clean up and paint the engine bay while the engine was out, because there is some light rust in certain spots. The shop doing the work is called G & S Machine and Engine Parts located in Springdale, AR. I found them by accident. After seeing a Land Rover Discovery with a diesel swap for sale in northwest Arkansas (it was for sale on ebay), I asked the seller who did the swap, and he told me about G & S. I live a few hours away, but they were the closest shop I could find willing to take on a job like this. Overall, I've been pleased with their work. The frustrating part is when they put my project on hold so they can take on other jobs, so mine is just sitting there half the time. Not a huge deal, but I need this finished because my other mode of transportation needs to go into the shop soon too.

Also worth noting, I ordered the complete conversion kit from TDswaps. Note that this is the V6 4runner, so I'm keeping my r150 transmission. Brian is a very friendly person to speak with on the phone, but that dude has some serious communication issues. He told me he had a V6 conversion kit in stock when I spoke with him, but it still took him almost 8 weeks to get all the parts to me! I bought the notched oil pan, AC mounts, plus the whole kit with belts and hoses (and instructions!) and everything. This cost about $1850 total. My main objective was to keep the time and thus hourly cost at the machine shop as low as possible. Brian told me not to worry about anything, because if we had any questions we could call or (preferably) text and he would help us out. The problem is that getting a response from the guy is next to impossible. Don't get me wrong. His parts seem to be good quality and he is friendly and helpful to speak with, but my truck is sitting in a shop and he isn't there to help answer questions like he promised. And that is seriously aggravating me.
Attached Thumbnails OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-engine.jpg   OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-engine2.jpg   OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-engine-bay.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Ok, so now the questions. The motor is in the truck...barely. We all know its a tight fit with only about an inch of space in the front between the pulleys and the radiator and an inch in the back. According to Brian from TDswaps, using the driveshafts and crossmember from the 4 cylinder 4runners will allow me to move the r150 transmission back enough and not have to custom build any driveshafts. We haven't quite gotten that far yet, so I'll have to wait and see if that's true.

The question I have right now, is that there isn't enough space between the Mercedes radiator (in the stock location) and the AC condenser to put any electric fans in between. This vehicle is going to be my main daily driver. I'm going to use it for off-roading but also cross country interstate driving. Eventually I will turn it into an expedition style rig. So yes, I really want to keep my AC. At this point, I'm not sure if the shop has even tried placing the oil cooler, so that will have to wait until later.

Right now my most pressing issue is what to do about the fans. The shop told me there is only about a half inch between the radiator and the AC condenser. Please don't tell me to RTFF, because I've spent countless hours doing so already. I've read at least 60 pages of this forum since yesterday. So if you have any helpful suggestions, please let me know.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, what a nice lookin om617! I have 2 300D cars and love them both, which is why I just bought a 93 4runner 4x4 v6 5speed with the intention of putting in a spare om617 into it. I was looking at the same concept as you, saw several "kits" out there and liked the tdswaps for the same reason as you..... (Don't like what I hear about integrity, I haven't ever gotten a response for voicemail or email...). I'd love to talk to ya and pick your brain on what to look for..
I wish I had some of the answers your looking for, but I'm just starting to put things together for the build. I'll be watching your progress. Looks awesome!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 PM

I'm happy to tell you anything I know. I'll PM you my phone number.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM

Well good news, the machinists were able to grind away in a few places (like the crank pulley) and get a fan to fit. They said most of the gauges are hooked up. Next week they should be putting the driveline together. I just really hope I don't have to have a body lift since the R150 has to be moved back a few inches. I'll try to get some more pictures up in a few days.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:54 PM

HEy Circle. Do you think you could send me those instructions? I have a kit form them and now instructions? PM please thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 05:50 PM

The only thing I could come up with was a remote condensor like the Hot Rod guys use.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Hey B-yodaful, I sent you a PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Someday I want to do the OM617 swap for the exact same reasons that you are doing it. I live 45 minutes away from Springdale and will keep them in mind. I dont blame you for not wanting to do it yourself. When I have it done I will have someone who knows what they are doing to do it. It could become a nightmare if not done right. I will look up G&S as I will have mine done by somebody else also.

inskeep...Powerstrokejoe has done a Mercedes swap and I have chatted with him on threads and he seems willing to give any tips he may have. He is just a few hours north of you and is a member on here.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 PM

Can anyone tell me why there are 2 AC condensers? Is this normal for the first gen 4runners (that came with the v6)? I've looked up the FSM (for the 4 cylinder), and it only shows one larger condenser. As you can see in this picture, there is an additional smaller condenser in front of the usual one, and it is eating up space I need for fans. Could it be relocated to make room for the fans?
Attached Thumbnails OM617 swap into 1988 4runner-condensers.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No idea on the compressors, but that is a nice little build. I am partical to Mercedes diesels and this is actually the first I've see one getting rebuilt. Are all the parts sourced through your rebuilder or did you source them other place?

Keep the updates coming...
Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM

I bought my parts from PelicanParts.com. It's a great site, very informative and let's you compare OEM and aftermarket options. I highly recommend it.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/Mercedes-Benz/index-SC.htm
Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 AM

I know the picture above of the 2 AC condensers is of low quality, but if you look closely you can tell how there is a small condenser mounted to the top front of the larger condenser. Does anybody know if the smaller condenser could be moved lower, maybe under the bumper? That way I could probably fit a slim fan, maybe a sidewinder (1 5/8") between the larger condenser and the grill. My concern is that the high pressure line goes into the smaller condenser first, before exiting and routing into the larger condenser. So should I be concerned that lowering the smaller condenser below the larger one could impede flow? I was thinking that maybe I could fit both the smaller condenser and the oil cooler lower, behind the bumper to make room for the radiator fans.

Last edited by Circle; 12-30-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by B-yodaful
HEy Circle. Do you think you could send me those instructions? I have a kit form them and now instructions? PM please thanks
I finally found a copy of those "instructions" and emailed them to you. They are quite comical.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
No idea on the compressors, but that is a nice little build. I am partical to Mercedes diesels and this is actually the first I've see one getting rebuilt. Are all the parts sourced through your rebuilder or did you source them other place?

Keep the updates coming...
Just a note, even though the link I gave you earlier was for Pelican Parts, is just a subsidiary of the more popularly known Peach Parts. You're probably more likely to hear it called by that name, but it's the same company.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Well, some more complications are arising. When I ordered the kit from TDswaps, Brian assured me a body lift was not necessary, but using the motor mounts he provided the hood will never clear the top of the engine. I don't want to spend more money refabbing mounts I've already paid for, so what does the consensus say? Is is better to cut a hole and install a scoop, or do a body lift. I really was wanting to avoid a body lift.

Name:  engineheight_zpsad8356b2.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Here's a picture of the clearance using the Mercedes radiator in the stock Toyota location. I can't move it forward any without cutting into the core support.

Name:  radiatorclearance_zpsa0ba1532.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  95.8 KB
Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM

More complications with the TDswaps kit. I bought the notched oil pan, but it wasn't notched enough. The tie rods hit it whenever the wheels are turned.

Name:  Oilpanclearance_zps879ae8e8.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  71.8 KB

It looks like I have no choice but to refab the oil pan. And I assume that means I'll have to cut off the oil intake and turn it around. Is that what everyone else who's running IFS has to do?

Name:  Oilpan2_zps3b51a5ff.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  134.7 KB

Man, I really should have started using photobucket from the beginning. This is so much better. I may repost some of my earlier pics for viewer convenience at some point.

Quick Reply: OM617 swap into 1988 4runner