All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Completed 2TR-FE in 87 22re 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Completed 2TR-FE in 87 22re 4runner

Just created new account to try and assist/show others interested in a 2tr swap. I didn't find ANY real information in regard to completing the swap successfully. Just wanted to return favors and knowledge to anyone interested. I'm on my phone so bare with me until I can get back to a computer. But long story short, swapping a 22re for a 2tr is absolutely worth the effort and easier than the negativity found with any information found with searching the internet regarding the swap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpine_motors:
fuel426 (01-08-2019), SomedayJ (05-04-2019)
Old 11-26-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Look forward to reading and seeing what you have done. Welcome to Yotatech!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Ill upload what pictures I did take and document it as best I can. We just finished the swap basically Sat and went wheeling to get xmas trees the next day. Great trip with zero issues. As of this post there has been 155 trouble free miles put on the truck thus far from swap being completed. Its not my DD and pretty much only used for goofing but it still street legal and still gets wheeled on the property and around town for errands and whatnot a couple times a week. The purpose of the 2TR swap was mostly brought on by the lack of information/knowledge and people doing the swap and I figured with the abundance of these engines becoming available in the future that the swap will become more common over time. So Ill upload the pictures and brief description and if anyone has any extra specific questions ill do my best to help and answer thru this thread even if there's private message questions to keep this as informative as I can.

RUSTY
87 4Runner SR5
22re (now replaced with 2TR-FE)
W56 trans (stock)
dual cases (2.28/4.7)
SAS'd front axle pushed 7" forward
63 rears
RUF (custom built pack)
35s
8" TRD axle with factory rear elocker (5.29)
8 " TRD factory elocker front swap (5.29) OG longfields, 03 TRD 4runner front brakes
dual viair 480Cs into 1.5 gal tank
other normal toyota wheeling junk... You get the idea.

Donor truck. 07 Toyota Tacoma 2wd Auto. 150k miles. Purchased for 600$. Truck ran perfect with ZERO codes after wreck. Some harness wires were 1/32" away from being pinched from wreck. Got lucky.

Engine and Trans out of donor truck, no real issues. Next dash was pulled along with pretty much all wiring harnesses in the cab and engine bay. Didn't take any pics of that.

Box size is hard to tell, but it is the three major harnesses (engine, cab, dash) that needed to be removed that had to become one harness. Along with the throttle pedal (drive by wire) that would also have to be used in swap. Lots to modify here.

Bout ready for test fit.

Sorry for edit, Forum rules to keep it PG (Buddy photo bombing)

Because it was an auto, and I wanted to keep my dual cases and mate it to a W56 instead of the R series (IIRC) that would have came behind the manual versions had to find the right bellhousing. This was where everyone had different information on how to make it all work. I'm not going to elaborate on the different opinions I was told because it got super weird but just go straight to what we did instead that works beautifully.
CONFIRMED: 2TR-FE to 3RZ bellhousing (98 4cyl, 4wd, 5speed, Tacoma) to 3RZ flywheel, 2TR slave cylinder, with a 2tr clutch and throw out bearing, with the 22RE clutch release fork. bolts together perfect.

3RZ= W59
22RE= W56

3RZ (W59) bell housing on 2TR.

First fit in engine bay. Motor mounts seem to be a big hang up when I was searching for info. We compared old 22re mount location to 2tr and found that the 2tr mounts were further rearward on the frame by an inch or two. So instead of using the 2tr mounts we ground the 22re mounts off and converted the 2tr to 22re motor mounts as we were gonna use some hardcore double sheer mounts. The 2tr and 22re mounts are nearly identical but we figured it was easier to find motor mounts in a pinch at a random parts store for a 22re rather that a 2tr if we needed a trail repair or something so it just made more sense.

This was the ghetto mount we built for mock up and test that was just tacked to the frame to make sure everything worked for trans and case clearance. The flat part was half of a 22re mount that we just torched in half and cleaned up to mount cleanly and flush to another 22re mount for ease of mock up.

Shows what the final mount to frame will look like. ish.

Frame cleaning. Where the tower supports come to the point was where the old 22re mounts were.

Completed Mounts. Notice starter and exhaust have swapped sides. (starter now driver side, exhaust passenger side)

We were able to keep shifter locations in EXACT previous location as the 22re engine. This was a big victory.

Showing clearance for radiator and front accessories. We chose to run an electric fan, but I am certain there would be enough room to run factory mechanical fan if one desired.

Showing bottom oil pan clearance.

New exhaust had to be built. Including a crossover to bring it from passenger side back over to driver side. This will be re done in the future with mandrel bent tubing, but it proves it can be done on Thanksgiving with one auto parts run with exhaust they had on the shelf.

Finalized enough to run and go XMAS tree hunting. We ran out of supplies and had to cannibalize jumper cables to run the batt on the driver side and maintain factory fuse panel. It will all be re done in the near future when we go to links and coilovers. Just didn't make sense to do it twice, and... we were running short on time.. That's pretty much all the pictures I have that I can upload right now. As we tear back into it and start to tidy everything up Ill take more pics as we go along to show some of the smaller details like making the power steering work, radiator, relays, etc. But I wanted to get up what I had and get some feedback.

Some snow wheeling pics.

The following 3 users liked this post by Alpine_motors:
CCDave (04-13-2019), fj40pinobilt (07-25-2019), SomedayJ (05-04-2019)
Old 11-27-2018, 01:15 PM

Anyway, Heading back out to the shop to get some more work done. Will update with more pictures as we go along. If anything specific is needed. Feel free to reach out!

Happy Holidays!

-Alpine
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
How long until the motor mounts are available for purchase
Old 11-30-2018, 02:10 PM

It honestly wasn't much fab. The 22re mounts themselves came in a "kit" from a off road vendor we just welded them together to fit our needs. Other than that all that needed to be done was to cut and notch the square for the correct frame to engine angle. Otherwise we repurposed one side of some old 22re motor mounts. I'm pretty sure I could still duplicate the angle and length from the ones we already did. The trans and tcases are still in factory location so your engine should sit in the same place. Here's another pic as well when it was on the lift from the bottom side.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (05-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Quick update:

I have put 1500 miles on the "new" 2TR. Still an absolute dream. Haven't had even a single issue with the new swap. Probably 500 miles of that were hard off road in deep snow. Getting an averaged 22mpg out of it, driving like a high school kid and hammering hard in deep snow. And now comfortably does 75mph with zero issues. Anyway. Just wanted to report back with an update. Starting to gather parts currently to swap a turbo on this spring with any luck. Will update when that starts to progress. Happy New Year! Wheel safe!
The following 4 users liked this post by Alpine_motors:
CCDave (04-13-2019), fuel426 (01-08-2019), johnmo (04-13-2023), SomedayJ (05-04-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Alpine_Motors,

Great job on the the write up so far! Thanks for doing this. Your truck is sicccc! I had an 1987 about 2 years ago and sold it to get a 1980 Hilux. I am going to be starting my swap down here in San Diego in the next couple of weeks. I sourced a 2TR FE cuz I overheated my 22R, warped the head and figured "what the hell" and decided to tackle installing the 2TR. Can you supply more info / pics on how you wired this thing up? I have done some light reading on the fly by wire throttle and am getting a bit nervous. You are right, there is a lot of neg press about this swap.

I'm going to write up my swap on this site as well. The 3RZ swap has a lot of info on the interweb but I feel like we are the only two dudes who are doing this 2TR swap!

Any info would be greatly helpful and appreciated!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Solid swap, Nice work!!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 PM

Update:

Put 5000 miles on the swap.. literally havnt done a single thing since the swap. Just driven and wheeling. Seeing excessive rev limiter when off road during the snow season. Since swap I've swapped on new 37s. Turns em em no prob. Added a power steering cooler to keep temps under control with a pump meant for rack and pinion. No assist yet. Have the parts on the shelf just haven't tackled it yet. Prepping for turbo mid spring and making room for 38s. Will continue to update. But engine is amazing. Pulling a solid 25 mpg with 37s driving like a little kid.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:39 AM

This is awesome, great job!! How did you handle the wiring? I'm assuming it was a little more complex than a 3rz/5vz swap?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 PM

OK so I have a Few questions hopefully you can answer.
I have the 3.0 V6. W/ R150 trans...

1st... any idea the motor will mount up to my transmission? If not, can I just change the bell housing or do I have to switch over to the W56 transmission and then find the 3RZ bell housing?

2nd... Any idea if my motor mounts will work? Or will I need to completely cut mine off and relocate & use completley different ones?

After that the only other questions I think I would have would be about Wiring and the weird throttle pedal. O and if any changes were necessary to make the newer fuel injection work?

Sorry but I'm coming new to the whole motor swap stuff.

Last edited by airdreams1; 05-19-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to "the guy above me.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by airdreams1
OK so I have a Few questions hopefully you can answer.
I have the 3.0 V6. W/ R150 trans...

1st... any idea the motor will mount up to my transmission? If not, can I just change the bell housing or do I have to switch over to the W56 transmission and then find the 3RZ bell housing?

2nd... Any idea if my motor mounts will work? Or will I need to completely cut mine off and relocate & use completley different ones?

After that the only other questions I think I would have would be about Wiring and the weird throttle pedal. O and if any changes were necessary to make the newer fuel injection work?

Sorry but I'm coming new to the whole motor swap stuff.
I am using an R150 in my 2TR FE swap. The 2TRFE Bellhousing should bolt right up to the R150. I got a 2TRFE Bellhousing from Marlin Crawler. I am currently waiting for my R150 to arrive. When it does, i will update my build thread.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Hey Alpine_motors, what radiator are you running? Is that the original 22re radiator?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work! I have been heavily researching a 3rz swap for my 87 22re, lower end is shot, this is the first I have seen about the 2TR, would love more info on the wiring and emissions set up...
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Hey FjordWarrden,

Sorry for the delayed response. Been crazy with work and tryin to get this project running. I am still waiting on the transmission to arrive and bolt it up to the engine. I plan on using the harness from the 2trfe and do some harness combo-ing to get the thing running. I will post pics and do the write up ASAP. I have made some progress on the body work and pulling the 22r and tranny but have not had the chance to post the pics and do the write up, yet. If you want a comprehensive bible of sorts about the 3rz swap take a look at the marlin crawler site. They have everything you need to know about the 3rz swap. I haven't seen anyone do this swap into a 3rd gen pickup like my project, there's only one other guy who has done this swap on this site and I think it was an 87 4runner. If you know anyone or seen any write ups for 1979 - 83 pickups with this swap lemme know! Cheers!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm looking to do this swap in my 93 22re truck. I want to make it as OEM as possible. I want working A/C, gauges, etc. I have a real handle on all the mechanicals, the electrics is my challenge.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
I sent a private message but I’m posting this in case others have the same questions.

I’m looking to do the swap in my 93 22re 4wd. Did you keep the 2TR charcoal canister? Your donor vehicle was an automatic, did you use the auto ecu? If so, was there complications using the auto ecu with the manual trans? Did you plumb in an external fuel filter? Does your gauge cluster work? tach, check engine light, oil pressure, coolant temp etc?
My truck doesn’t need to pass emissions anymore so if I can eliminate stuff without throwing a code I will.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:12 PM

R150F trans?

Originally Posted by fj40pinobilt
I am using an R150 in my 2TR FE swap. The 2TRFE Bellhousing should bolt right up to the R150. I got a 2TRFE Bellhousing from Marlin Crawler. I am currently waiting for my R150 to arrive. When it does, i will update my build thread.
Can I mate this engine to my r150f trans from 89 4wd pickup?

Old 06-05-2021, 06:25 PM

I hate to bump an old thread like this but does anyone know how to contact op. He hasn't been on in a while. I want to do this swap into my 4 runner but have questions on the wiring. Hoping he could point me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Completed 2TR-FE in 87 22re 4runner