All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Bigtrucknwheels' 90 Pickup 7M-GE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bigtrucknwheels' 90 Pickup 7M-GE Swap

After many years of thinking, planning, and talking about this swap, the time has finally arrived for my truck to get a new heart. Welcome to my build thread, I hope you are as excited as I am to be here

The victim: 1990 Toyota Pickup Std Cab DLX with 22RE, 4WD 5 speed

The motor: 1987 7M-GE from a Toyota Supra N/A

The objective: To have some scoot in the passing lane and the ability to tow a trailer without catering to the budget needs or custom fab work of a 5VZ swap.

What I have bought so far:

*7M-GE
*Bellhousing and clutch setup from same Supra
*Wiring harness and ECU
*Complete exhaust including OBX header
*Complete intake and ignition systems
*All belt driven accessories + radiator and cruise control unit (for a later project)
^^All the above came as a package deal from a parts car^^
Price: $480

5M-GE motor mounts - $25 shipped (random forum find)
New 22RE rubber motor mounts - ~$45 shipped (RockAuto)

What I still need:
Undetermined rubber hoses and steel lines + clamps and fittings
7M-GE front sump oil pan off a Cressida to clear the IFS front diff.

Where I stand:
Still a long ways to go, I just got the engine on the stand. But hey, thats why its a build thread, so you guys can follow along.

Pics to follow tonight! I'm at work right now and can't put them up.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will watch this go down! good luck
Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Why the 7M?

Don't those have more HG issues than the 3.0? Though I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of aftermarket solutions to solve the problem. There's a TRD metal head gasket that I think solves the problem.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Subscribed. Also considering a 7M rather than a 5VZ when the time comes.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Glad to see you finally doing something lol!

So, you're gonna take that body off and make it easier to mount the engine on the frame right?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ProjectMcFly
Why the 7M?

Don't those have more HG issues than the 3.0? Though I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of aftermarket solutions to solve the problem. There's a TRD metal head gasket that I think solves the problem.
To answer you, Mr. McFly, I broke it down like this:

Advantages:
-Ease of installation: The 7M with 5M motor mounts is almost a direct bolt in swap for a 22RE truck, with no motor mount or transmission mount changes (fits in the stock location), much like the 5VZ is to a 3VZ

-Cost! As you can see, I have very little invested thus far, and pending any doom (knocks feverishly on wood), I should be driving the new swap for less than $1000. No 5VZ swap will touch that price neighborhood

-Power similar to the 5VZ. I went the NA route, which should give me around 200 lb-ft and 190 HP. While its 20 less pound-foot of torque, the high revving nature, slightly more horsepower, and completely flat (google a dyno from one ) torque curve of the 7M should compensate nicely

-Badass factor of the inline 6, not many guys running one

Disadvantages:
-Namely head gaskets. The issue with the 7M is mostly due to improper torque specs on the head. I will be retorqueing mine before the engine goes in the bay. A new metal headgasket and proper torque specs on the NA engine will all but cure the headgasket woes. I went NA for exactly that reason, as the turbo, even with lots of work, is besieged by the nasty headgasket gremlins.

-Weight: the 7M is HEAVY, ask me how I know

-Custom cooling situation. I will have to hack the rad support and do a little fab work for the cooling system, as well as some custom power steering lines. In the grand scope of things, however, I feel this is a negligible detail, even a 5VZ swap requires some workarounds.

And in case you were wondering, NA > turbo for me because of headgaskets, cost, and offroading. The last thing I want is that turbo spooling while I am trying to craw over some sharp rocks or something haha.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM

That sounds reasonable enough. I just wanted to make sure you knew about the HG thing.

To solve your concern about a turbo spooling when you're off-road...just run a monster turbo...by the time it spools you'll be home
Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

and now, as promised, some pictures

please forgive the quality, they are cell phone pics for now, but I will be using a real camera from here on out.

The truck:
Name:  DSCF0540.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  104.7 KB

not bad for $250, eh?
Name:  DSCF0539.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  143.0 KB

tired 22RE with undisclosed "rattle" I never did put it all back together to find out what it was, but given the mileage and the description of the sound, I would place a lot of money on timing chain
Name:  DSCF0538.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  138.4 KB

The motor:
When I went to get it
Name:  IMG_20110528_122316.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  135.1 KB

sweeet 7M goodness
Name:  IMG_20110528_122403.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  76.8 KB

random crap that came with it, I promise I won't be using those FRAM filters
Name:  IMG_20110528_234246.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  80.8 KB

W58 bellhousing off the NA Supra. This is a direct bolt on to the W56 found in my truck
Name:  IMG_20110528_234257.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  74.6 KB

ECU end of the engine wiring harness
Name:  IMG_20110528_234419.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  58.0 KB

Finally got it off the truck and onto the engine stand
Name:  IMG_20110608_214413.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  105.2 KB

the truck and engine shall soon be one
Name:  IMG_20110608_214432.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  105.4 KB

I pulled the clutch off before I put it on the engine stand
Name:  IMG_20110608_214714.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  74.1 KB

Looks like it has enough life left in it for me! I would like to drive it about 20k miles (a year) and do the clutch job then.
Name:  IMG_20110608_214723.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  77.0 KB

oh yeah, she's golden
Name:  IMG_20110608_214738.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  83.1 KB

and that will be all of the pictures until the shop is cleaned up... Its so full of crap you can't even move in there haha. Next up is tracking down a 7M Cressida to get the oil pan and pickup tube off of. Then cleaning and painting of the engine/removal of the 22RE. Stand by for more updates

Last edited by bigtrucknwheels; 06-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

That sounds reasonable enough. I just wanted to make sure you knew about the HG thing.

To solve your concern about a turbo spooling when you're off-road...just run a monster turbo...by the time it spools you'll be home
that sounds 'spensive, but mad fun I have decided though, that if I do a turbo swap, it will be a 2JZ in a 2WD truck so I can really enjoy it
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice work man. I also will be watching this.....
Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Yes this is very interesting I am also close enough to take a peek in person of that would be permitted .

Why not buy a new oil pan and pick up tube as I am in the process of getting ready to do the swap with turbo. I have a new oil pan and it was not all that expensive .

Funny my truck is red Also
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Yes this is very interesting I am also close enough to take a peek in person of that would be permitted .

Why not buy a new oil pan and pick up tube as I am in the process of getting ready to do the swap with turbo. I have a new oil pan and it was not all that expensive .

Funny my truck is red Also
sweet! do you have a build thread? I will check out new prices for the oil pan and pickup tube. where'd you source yours? I'd love to give this truck a new paint job this summer. No offense to red, but I want a shiny black truck
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wyoming9

where did you find this? I just checked autozone, advance, 1sttoyotaparts, napa, and rockauto with no luck. And what kind of money did it cost you? I'd like to make my purchase a.s.a.p. so I can keep moving forward on this project haha
Old 06-11-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I bought mine from my dealer Krause Toyota

To be honest I don`t remember how much it was but I do know I thought it was reasonable.

Then I do have a very good relationship with them I have had bills over a $1000.00 in a month .

I will see if I can find the part #

I am going down there in a few hours I will check on a price.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really looking forward to this. I'll be keeping a close eye I'd like to do a 7MGTE swap.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why the 7M?

While the motor is out, the OP should pull the head, replace the headgasket, and torque the head bolts to 72ft lbs. The 7M headgasket problem stems from the switch from and asbestos gasket to a composite gasket and never changing the torque value. Original torque value is 52ft lbs. Torque the head to 72 and there will be no issues at all.

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Really looking forward to this. I'll be keeping a close eye I'd like to do a 7MGTE swap.
I've got a low mileage 7MGE bottom end that I'm slapping a turbo, MaftPro, and all sorts of fun stuff from my MKIII Supra onto. 9.2:1 CR 7MGTE, here I come! (stock 7MGTE is 8.4:1)
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaeff
While the motor is out, the OP should pull the head, replace the headgasket, and torque the head bolts to 72ft lbs. The 7M headgasket problem stems from the switch from and asbestos gasket to a composite gasket and never changing the torque value. Original torque value is 52ft lbs. Torque the head to 72 and there will be no issues at all.

Being an NA 7M, I am gonna take my chances if it passes the compression test or leakdown, haven't decided which one to do haha.

But as I said in one of my earlier posts, I am gonna crack the bolts and retorque to recommended torque spec for now. Maybe when I replace that clutch, while its down, I'll do that, but for now this needs to remain a budget build, and as such, I specifically bought a good, running engine. This truck is not a d.d., and I will be struck by parania, watching like a hawk for any signs of trouble
Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
Being an NA 7M, I am gonna take my chances if it passes the compression test or leakdown, haven't decided which one to do haha.

But as I said in one of my earlier posts, I am gonna crack the bolts and retorque to recommended torque spec for now. Maybe when I replace that clutch, while its down, I'll do that, but for now this needs to remain a budget build, and as such, I specifically bought a good, running engine. This truck is not a d.d., and I will be struck by parania, watching like a hawk for any signs of trouble
For what it's worth, you'll probably be fine. The NAs didn't pop headgaskets nearly as much as the turbo cars did.

Do exactly that, crack them loose, and crank them down to 72ft lbs. You'll be fine. Just make sure you torque them in sequence.

Oh yeah, and here are a few links to help you out:

TSRM: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...3/default.aspx

Good wiring info: www.supracharged.com
Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nice.....when we get the 4runner running, may have ourselves a little destination to come and bother you.
hopefully you get going a weeee bit faster that we have.

good to see.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaeff
For what it's worth, you'll probably be fine. The NAs didn't pop headgaskets nearly as much as the turbo cars did.

Do exactly that, crack them loose, and crank them down to 72ft lbs. You'll be fine. Just make sure you torque them in sequence.

Oh yeah, and here are a few links to help you out:

TSRM: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...3/default.aspx

Good wiring info: www.supracharged.com
Thanks for the info! I knew about supracharged, but its nice to have an FSM. and yeah, if it were turbo, it wouldn't even be a question, the motor would get a headgasket haha. by the way, do you have a build thread?

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
nice.....when we get the 4runner running, may have ourselves a little destination to come and bother you.
hopefully you get going a weeee bit faster that we have.

good to see.
92, you're welcome any time! Bring along whoever you please, we'll fire up the grill and have a few beers, talk yota, all that good jazz

Quick Reply: Bigtrucknwheels' 90 Pickup 7M-GE Swap