3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Stock auto trans wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock auto trans wiring

Ok, after weeks of reading I've finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 2000 Taco 3.4 engine, to transplant into my 90 runner 4x4. I plan on using the stock auto tranny. I'm trying to round up a t100 computer, as I've read thats the only fully compatable ecu for the stock tranny, due to speed sensor issues. My question is, for the few that have tryed this setup, could you enlighten me on your wiring process --- for the trans. I've got the connectors, tools and equipment. I am employed as a mechanic and have access to Alldata and all the wiring diagrams I can handle. But so far I can see many differences(obviously!), and I'm sure there were many setups/combinations tried. I'm going about this project probably the worst way -- on a budget. I'm in it about $1300 including the complete motor(a/c, alt, crossover, air mass meter, ignitor), 4crawler body lift(with bumper brackets and transfer case shifter extension), computer (from a 98 4runner, probably wont use!), charcoal canister with all vsv's and press. senser, cold air intake(no-name, but nice quallity), and wiring harness (from an 01 4runner). So, all in all not a good situation due to all the inconsistancies with the various vehicles used. Pretty much every wire will be checked, and repinned where its supposed to be. Sorry for the very long post, but I'm trying to give the full situation. And even for being a mechanic, I am constantly blown away at some of the brilliant minds hovering around this site, and hopefully will chime in to help out! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Well I'll be honest, I thought i'd get a few replies. I know this is a direct question, specific to the stock auto trannys, but I know a few have done it. On another note, I started the swap, pulled the original motor (only 5k on the new head gaskets, and with 180k --- prolly the third time!!). And sold it for $350 the day I posted it on craigslist! So the 3.4 got the normal treatment, new t-belt, water pump, front seals, rear main, t-stat, and changing the oil pan. It is a 2000 motor, so the dipstick needs to be relocated. I'm just using the stock dipstick, i measured it with the 3.0 dipstick, and it seems the lower dot on the 3.4 is equal to the top/full mark on the 3.0. Rough measurements and visuals, but with the by the book spec on oil capacity, it showed perfect.
Stock auto trans wiring-0930092003.jpg
Stock auto trans wiring-0930092003a.jpg
It fit a little loose, so I had to JB weld it. I used a U drill bit as others has instructed, but my technique might of been a little off as well. Sorry for pic quality -- its a phone camera. Btw, I'm having trouble posting pics through photobucket, if anyone can fill me in I can use it instead of attaching. more to come. Its kind of a review, as I've got the motor in and finishing the wires as we speak.
Stock auto trans wiring-1007091825.jpg
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM

OK so I welded a fabbed bracket to the exhaust manifold, like the stock one was. Hopefully through vibration, it stays intact! It clears the steering shaft, barely! I also used the stock alternator, I just grinded it down to fit the 3.4 bracket(which fits around the stock oil pressure sender); neccesary to NOT blow up your guage!
Stock auto trans wiring-1001090734a.jpg

Stock auto trans wiring-1001090809.jpg

Stock auto trans wiring-1001090809a.jpg
I opted to install the body lift, instead of cutting the hood. I purchased mine from Roger Brown/4crawler.com -- nice quality stuff. Being an auto - he offers the transfer case shifter extension bracket, which i purchased along with the 2" lift kit and raising bumper brackets. He does take a while to send, because he fabricates per order. I'll post a pic of the truck soon. Still much cheaper, and higher quality than performance accesories. I know alot of people on this site frown on body lifts, but I'm no hardcore 4x4er. Just a guy who lives where it snows in the winter, has a 90 4runner that he loves, and wants better gas mileage/more power to tote his 3 kids in. So the added height just makes it look cooler!!

When I installed the motor, I left the crossover in the original spot. I did this for two reasons -- They gave me a different year x-over, a 2004(meaning the double walled tubing ones); and it seems alot are having trouble with their homebuilt or ORS ones. So mine will dump out on the passenger side. I remade the fuel line from the filter to the flexible line on the engine. I just attached it closer to the firewall, away from the heat. I will either make a shroud in the future, or wrap the pipe. The x-over is VERY close to the torsion bar, I hope the muffler shop can make it work!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM

So, here are the pics of the x-over/exhaust and where it contacts the original fuel line, and the modified new fuel line.
Stock auto trans wiring-1008090708.jpg

Stock auto trans wiring-1015090821b.jpg
Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good so far. Be sure to swap over your 3.0 oil sender. Don't want to blow your 3.4 oil sender. As for your wiring questions, Idon't know cause I looked around to ensure I got my engine from a manual so that I wouldn't have to worry about that.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 PM

As many have posted before ..... always get the computer and harness together!!! I have managed to get the wiring (enginewise) figured out. I won a harness on ebay, supposedly for a 98n 4runner 4x4 auto. It turned out to be an 01 4runner.It was gonna be a good deal at $75, but the 'cheap comes out expensive', and after countless hours of pinning, researching, soldering and stripping wires, i found out the harness was just to difficult to make work. So, calling around, I found a 98 4x4, auto harness at a local mini truck wrecking yard. I should of been warned when they presented me with the part and it was the body harness, in which they swore was the engine harness. After a while of arguing, they finally believed me and searched for the engine harness, in which they found one, but it looked a little different. So, I managed to talk them down from $250 to $150, and took my "98 4runner" engine harness back to work. Next day I research and find out it's a 97 t100 4x4, auto!!. The point of this rant is it's VERY difficult to figure out a 2000 taco motor to a 97 t100 harness to a 98 4runner computer to a 90 4runner body and trans. I've actually finished most of it, but 3 individual packets of wiring diagrams starts frying your brain!! It can be done, but it takes hours at a time to figure out basic wiring, I can't believe that toyota changes the pins, on the same looking connectors every year!!
Stock auto trans wiring-1009091632.jpg
WIRING MESS!!!!!!!
Stock auto trans wiring-1009091353.jpg