3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Oil pressure concerns with 92 & earlier SR5 clusters....clarified

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure concerns with 92 & earlier SR5 clusters....clarified

I decided to post some experience I’ve had with my oil pressure problems as I could not find a definitive answer here on YotaTech. An op by jbmountainboy got me wondering about the oil pressure situation it seems that some of us are having after doing this swap….low oil pressure readings. Like me, I would believe that many of us who did this swap complimented it with an SR5 cluster for the appropriate generation (varying years) if you didn't already have it. Toyota apparently sourced 2 different manufacturers for the cluster, Nippondenso and Yazaki. Because of that there are two types of oil senders, a large (ND) and a small (Yazaki). Due to my ignorance, budget, and haste, I got the ND…also I had never heard of the Yazaki name for Toyotas. Snip from Tridon below....

The oil ports

Here's the sender I got off a 95 donor 3VZfe I was using

which plugged perfectly into the harness. When I installed the larger (ND) to be year specific it didn't show any better of a reading at cold start, actually it was about a needle worse. I decided to swap the 95 sender back in. A few days ago I threw a PO136 code for my rear O2 sensor, but my MIL wasn't on. I removed my cluster to find that the bulb was gone (I can just see some shady mech saying "took care of that engine light for ya miss, here's a bill for 300.00"). Anyway I noticed that I had a Yazaki gauge as printed on the circuit board, so I got the new sender (BWD P/N S4037). Whadaya know....a "more accurate" oil pressure gauge. Here's a pic at warm start, about 80* outside with castrol gtx 10-30 through a Napa Gold filter...

The highest it would ever go before at cold start at 45* outside was approx 1 1/2 needle width below middle. It actually rose another needle after my digi died. Now I got to find myself one of those fancy top post connectors and it'll be complete. Hope this clears up any confusion and/or concerns regarding your 92 and earlier v6 cluster and your oil gauge readings with the different senders.....
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good info.

For me the thing that stumps me is that I just simply moved the sender from the 3.0 to the 3.4. Gauge worked fine before the swap. Now it does nothing. Tried a wire directly from sender to gauge thinking I screwed up the connection in the kick panel, and still nothing. Bought a different sender from someone parting out a 3.0 and nothing.

Kind of forgot about it since the motor would have seized by now. They have some really tiny like 1 1/8" gauge at the local parts store. I cant remember what brand. I am going to add a 3 set under the radio one day soon.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

The guts of the 95.....

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent information! I did not know this! I sold quite a few of these SR5 clusters to members here now in the future I could list what type of oil gauge it is. Do you have to disassemble the cluster to find out which oil gauge it is or does it say it on the back of it?

James
Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

It should be printed on the main blue molded plastic circuit board on the back of the cluster itself. I haven't seen an ND cluster, but I would imagine it would be labeled as such. If there is no mention of the manufacturer I would deduct it is an ND as the Yazaki are heavily labeled....D
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM

88Taco maybe your research can shed some light on my problem. I have a 90 sr5 pickup that has shown low oil pressure ever since I have had it. The truck does have a different 3.0 than it came from the factory with but the PO said the motor was out of another 90 model pickup. Could this be my problem or was is this only a problem across years?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

The engine year shouldn't be a factor regardless if it's 3.0 or 3.4, just the gauge year (88 - 8/92). You might have gotten a newer engine (93+) with the newer sender already installed which could be your problem. Being a 90, your cluster would fall into the "two manufacturers" category. Your VIN should be able to tell the dealer what gauge type you have since it sounds stock, or you could take your cluster out and check the back....
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Actually scratch what I said about having a newer engine, I don't want to post misinformation. Sorry, I'm getting sender madness. The plugs don't match on the old and new. Rather, you'd have the engine that came out of the rig with the other cluster manufacturer more than likely...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM

10-4 I havent had a problem with it so far besides it showing very low pressure even after switching to a heavier oil.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 AM

I used the same cluster and oil pressure sender from my 3.0 on my new 3.4 and still get a low pressure reading and also a ticking sound in my top end. Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
I used the same cluster and oil pressure sender from my 3.0 on my new 3.4 and still get a low pressure reading and also a ticking sound in my top end. Any ideas?
mine and my buddy also used the 3.0 sender on our 3.4s and they both read pretty low after being warmed up cold start is about halfway up the gauge also all 3.4s have a very slight tick but its very faint mine has it, my dads taco has it same with our truck at work all come from pass side valve cover