3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Hoping someone can clear up transfer case mods for automatic 3.4 into 2nd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoping someone can clear up transfer case mods for automatic 3.4 into 2nd gen 4runner

I've been researching and gathering parts for my swap. I have a 95 3.0 5sp 4runner that I will be converting to a 3.4 automatic as soon as I gather all the parts. So far I have the 3.4 motor and auto trans complete with engine harness, dash harness, and ecu. I'm confident with wiring so no problem there. I plan to make my own hard lines for the trans cooler and luckily, the radiator was replaced by the owner before me to one that includes the auto trans cooler. The rest (fuel lines, heater hose, power steering hose, etc.) I will do as I go along. What I've been trying to research and can't seem to figure out is the transfer case I will need to use. My understanding so far is I will need the t-case from either a first or second gen 4 cylinder 4x4 but need to modify to a top shifter and 23 spline. ORS mentions an adaptor plate is also necessary. Unfortunately I can't get in touch with ORS so I can't get more info on the adaptor. I also can't seem to find (I'm sure it's here, just can't find it) info on how to change this 4 cyl 4x4 transfer case to 23 spline and top shifting. I have not purchased the transfer case yet because I would like to clear up what I will need before I do so. Can anybody help me understand what I need to do and what parts I will need for the transfer case?

second question and not as important (well, it might be because I will go either way depending on answers I get). I am not against doing the swap and keeping the runner a 5sp. I see that the bell housing (as well as wiring, ecu, ect.) from the 3.4 5sp will be needed and can't seem to find a salvage shop to sell me one for a decent price. I saw a few posts that my current bell housing and the 3.4 housing have the same bolt patterns and it's just the slave/shift fork that is different. can someone tell me why the 3.0 bell housing will not work? I would think it would be easier to use the 3.0 housing because you would not have to re-route the clutch lines. Why is the 3.4 housing necessary?

My last option if I cannot find out my answers for the t-case is to use the 3.4 t-case and convert to a straight front with a wagoner axel (because the 3.4 drive shaft is on the wrong side). It's wider than my rear axel so I will have to change that as well. Not to mention changing the front dif gearing. This is the most costly solution and I would like to avoid this. In fact, I would probably scrap the project if it came down to this.

I realize this is my first post and with no credit here yet, don't deserve much help. But when I do go forward with this, I will post and document the swap to help others. This is my first Toyota project so could not share anything here in the past. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well welcome to Yota Tech. Lets see what I can and can't answer. First I'm wondering why you want an auto instead of a manual? The 3.0 and 3.4 bell housings DO match and I bolted mine right up to each other. Manual to manual. Is your 95 not 4x4? Cause I would just drop the 3.4 and bolt it to my 3.0 trans. And call it a day. There are a few guys that have made there 5 spd. work that came from an auto 3.4 if thats the reason you are converting it to auto.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 AM

The adapter plate ORS used was from Marlin Crawler

http://www.marlincrawler.com/

You can can also get the 23 spline input from them too. My transfer case came out of an '85 4Runner.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yotathespian is bang on. As long as you currently have a 5 speed, it will bolt right up to the 3.4 with no problem.

Some have suggested that you need a 3.4 flywheel, clutch, and pilot bearing (which is what I used), but others have done the swap with the 3.0 flywheel and clutch. You will need a 3.0 throwout bearing, though.

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/48/

Check Andy's site for more info.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 AM

I can't believe how fast you guys hooked me up with these answers!! thanks for helping the no credit newbie!! yoda and rob, so I do not need the bell housing from the 3.4? That changes things and I may decide to do a 5sp conversion. Now I need to locate an ECU and wire harness. To answer your question yoda, I was considering the auto conversion because of the parts I already have and the fact I could not get any salvage yard to sell me a 3.4 bell housing. They wall wanted to sell me the entire trans and after the purchase + shipping to Hawaii, well, you get the idea. Another reason is the automatic seems much more popular so parts and maintenance might be easier for me down the line if I convert to an automatic. (salvage yards tell me 3.4 5spds are hard to come by here) Cadman, thanks so much!!! I have not decided which route to go but this is very useful in helping me decide. at work now so can't browse the site but I will be sure to tonight.

I'll post details and pictures of my rigs later. Hopefully this thread can help others as well.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help!!!

Last edited by tailspin808; 08-07-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 PM

Dude, we were all noobs at one point or another. And one of the beauty parts of Yotatech is that it's a lot friendlier here than other boards (cough cough pirate cough cough) because of the great moderators.

Your 3.4 will bolt up directly to your current 5 speed with no issues. That's all I did. But, just to clarify, did you buy a 3.4 that was originally from a 5 speed, or did you buy a 3.4 with that auto you have?

If you picked up an engine that originally was with an auto, you should be able to reuse all the clutch assembly parts from your 3.0. Now, when I did my swap, all info I had read pointed to using the 3.4 flywheel, like I said earlier, but I know there's at least one guy on here that did it with the 3.0 flywheel and clutch.

The tricky part will be the wiring harness and computer. I believe that some people have used the auto computer with the manual engine, but tricked it into believing the vehicle is in neutral. My 2 cents is that you're best off using a wiring harness and ECU from a 5 speed. That said, if all you can find is the auto ECU, then run with it. Check post 32 on this link http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=771160&page=2

If you want to see the definition of "truly anal", read Cadman's epic thread. Makes mine look like I did it in a rush in my brother's carport.

Well, okay, I did...but that's beside the point.

Any questions, drop me a note. If not for the help of people on here, I know I would never have completed my swap.

Last edited by RobD; 08-07-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!

Originally Posted by yodathespian87
The 3.0 and 3.4 bell housings DO match and I bolted mine right up to each other. Manual to manual.
So your are saying I can use the 3.0 trans with the 3.0 housing to bolt up to the 3.4? Just want to be clear.

So, with the new information I have, I have decided to leave my 4runner as a 5spd. I do have an engine from an automatic but now that I know I can use the auto ecu and "trick" it to think it's in neutral (thanks to Rob), thats the route I plan to go for two reasons. 1. I already have the ecu and wires for it, 2. I can still change it to automatic if I want to later down the line.

I also plan to do a cheap and quick rebuild before I install it. want it somewhat fresh because I do plan to supercharge it. Anybody know the best and cheapest source for the supercharger?

by cheap and quick, I mean I am only gonna change bearings and rings, hone the cylinders, lap and shim the valves, check guides and only replace if necessary. I plan to replace the oil pump as well. I am not gonna change the pistons and wrist pins as in a full rebuild and am not getting the valve seats cut. Cheap and dirty but I think it will be good for another 150-200k miles with regular maintenance.

I didn't want to dish out a ton of $ so I decided to take on another project to finance a good portion of this swap. I picked up another runner a few days ago with a blown 3.0. Its fully loaded with sunroof and power everything including the seats. I plan to drop in my original 3.0 motor with 78k miles and new timing belt, paint it, and sell it to make a few bucks. That should cover a good portion of this project.

I may start this weekend and will take pictures if I do. I also got my hands on a TRD eLocker 3rd member complete with wires, relays and factory switch. I plan to install that immediately following the motor swap and will keep you all updated on that as well.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:56 AM

One more thing I just thought of, since the t-100 with the 3.4 had a mid (or was it rear) sump oil pan, can I use the t-100 oil pump and eliminate the need to plug the dipstick hole? I think that will work and make for a cleaner install. what do you guys think?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tailspin808
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!

So your are saying I can use the 3.0 trans with the 3.0 housing to bolt up to the 3.4? Just want to be clear.
Yes, without a doubt.

The block casting is identical. There are six bolts holding it on.

As for the oil pan, you might need to re-use your 3.0 oilpan, dipstick tube, and dipstick. If you have the mid mounted dipstick on the T100 block, then you might not. Mine came out of a 97 Taco, so I had to plug the front hole (no big deal) and move it to the mid-block location. I used the 3.0 oil pan and pickup tube, but this is probably one of the easier parts of this swap.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobD
Yes, without a doubt.

The block casting is identical. There are six bolts holding it on.

As for the oil pan, you might need to re-use your 3.0 oilpan, dipstick tube, and dipstick. If you have the mid mounted dipstick on the T100 block, then you might not. Mine came out of a 97 Taco, so I had to plug the front hole (no big deal) and move it to the mid-block location. I used the 3.0 oil pan and pickup tube, but this is probably one of the easier parts of this swap.
I agree with Rob on this. I think you have to use the 3.0 Oil pan/ pick up/ dip stick guide. On some T-100s they came already to go for this swap and some places sold T-100 parts as swap conversion parts. As for the dip stick guide. I had to relocate it and had to drill the block. Not a problem. Mine is a 2001 Tacoma engine. As for the superchargers I think there a quite a few threads on this.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:19 AM

Finally started my build.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152.../#post51397255