3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mt Goat, I think that I'll secure them in a manner that is accessable for other work and maintenance later. I'm sure that that is a great location for a tie down when the beasties are on the assembly line, but it is just a PIT* for working on after the fact.

I also understand the isolation aspects of the top of the tranny, but I think it can be accomplished by relocation in a couple of spots more to the side, so that I can get to them easier at a later date.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Not the Supra Swap??? Tisk Tisk Tisk

j/k, have fun with that engine. I have one on my Tacoma and it's great!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Today's accomplishments were to finally get the rest of the engine harness wires out from under the Taco. I was able to get to the forward O2 sensor plug through the shifter hole from inside the cab. Even after I got it pried loose from its little bracket, I still had to jockey the wires forward, from underneath, so that I could get enough clearance to get the plug taken apart. Then I fed the harness through to lay it over the top of the engine.

At this point I started looking at what was left to pull the engine. I pulled out the starter, and the bottom flywheel cover plate from the bell housing. I took a look at the exhaust flange on the crossover pipe, and discover that I didn't have the stuff to put some decent torque on the flange nuts, so I made a trip to Napa to get some 1/2" extensions, so that I'd be able to reach them.

Before I left on the Napa trip, I took a long look at the bolts on the bell housing, specifically at the top ones. I had originally planned to just pull the engine, and leave the tranny in the truck, for now. After looking at the lack of good access to the top bolts, I decided that I'd pull the transmission out with the engine, and then take them apart.

So, as the snow/rain started to fall, I removed the drive shafts, and drained the gearbox and transfer case. Snow or not, that thing is coming out tomorrow. I have to unbolt the exhaust flange, take the clutch slave cylinder off, support the transmission with a jack, and remove the frame cross member, and take the bolts out of the moter mounts. I'm hoping that I'll be able to run the parts down to Mike at ORS tomorrow afternoon, and also pick up my '02 FSMs, as well.
Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm9.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

This should make for an interesting day.

This is what I woke up to - why can't the weather people be wrong when you want them to be?!?!?
Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm10.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get those upper tranny bolts with extensions and swivels if they aren't too frozen. If they are too frozen you can move the engine and tranny forward about 4 or 5 inches and get them from the top (inside the engine bay). I wouldn't try taking the whole thing out in one piece unless you have an engine leveler for your hoist.

Looks like a good snow year coming.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-21-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

I'm really curious as to how this went or is going in the snow....Updates tonite, I hope.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

At long last, the engine and tranny are out of the Taco!

I started out this morning by sweeping the snow off the steps, deck, and then the work area. After I had the area resonably clear I went after the exhaust nuts with the impact. Even after soaking the hell out of them with PB Blaster yesterday, it still took about 45 minutes to get all three of them off. Most of the time was waiting for the compressor to come back up, but two of the three nuts were VERY obstinate!

I then removed the last bracket holding the clutch slave cylinder stuff in place. By this point it was time to come in and warm up for a bit!

I went back out, and placed a floor jack under the transmission, with the help of a scrap of firewood, to hold it up while I removed the frame cross member. Afeter I had all of that set up, I removed the motor mount bolts, and then hooked up the hoist (with the losd leveler, Mt. Goat). I put just a little pressure on the cherry picker, and then did a final check for anything left attached that shouldn't be. Seeing nothing to interfere, I began removing the engine in ernest.

I took it very slowly, checking things frequently. I did have to back track a little when the shifter housing got hung up on a welded joint of the firewall/tunnel. I knew that it was going to be interesting to get the whole thing out, but since there is really nothing for usable body panels on the Taco, I didn't mind using a rock bar to lever things around from time to time.

I have to say that I'm VERY glad that I put the forward hook on the engine - it made life a lot easier. This would have also been significantly easier and faster, had I had another set of hands around to help, but solo was not insurmountable. I did have to take the engine pretty high, and was watching things like a hawk. I can't tell you how relieved I was to finally be able to lower it down, again! I'm also glad that I made the work platform - there would have been no way that I could have gotten it out without the smooth, solid surface to do it on.

With the engine and tranny on the deck, I removed the crossover pipe, and the transmission. I then took off the clutch and flywheel, so that I could mount the engine to the engine stand.

I cleaned up the toys, and tarped the engine. I also sat a big bag of potting soil on the base of the stand, and put a couple of boardsdown to block the wheels. I finished the day by cutting out the body harness plugs, to take to Mike tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm11.jpg   Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm12.jpg   Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm13.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

One last shot for the day.
Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm14.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice it looks like its going very well bet you cant wait to get her up and running again
Old 09-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

I could have sworn that I cleaned this stuff up yesterday!!

Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-taco-3-4-sm15.jpg  
Old 09-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by breknraj
I could have sworn that I cleaned this stuff up yesterday!!

I think it's about time to start waxing up the skis dude.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

I got home yesterday, and spent the afternoon clearing snow from the work area (and others), in anticipation of a few warm days this week.

I got back to it today, and removed the exhaust from the Taco, since, at this point, I'm planning to slice and dice it for the truck. I then spent a couple of hours swapping the positions of the trucks, so that the '90 is now on the work platform. It involved a lot of hand pushing over uneven ground, so, when I got that done, I spent the rest of the afternoon doing some cleaning on the Taco engine.

I plan on going after the engine in the '90 tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well man if you need some help let me know im now officially a resident of CO.

and my truck is here too.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeez...wouldn't have been easier to swap the body from your '90 onto the Taco frame?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

After a good fight and any number of curse words, I finally got the 400 pound paper weight out of the truck on Saturday. The bell housing bolts were on there to stay, and I had to use a Rube Goldberg of extensions and a U-joint to get to the top ones. The impact wouldn't budge them, so I had to use a 20" ratchet to break the bolts loose. I was afraid that I was going to run out of room for the top bolts, since I had to take up so much slack in the system, but I did convince them to see things my way!

I used my trusty floor jack and chunk of firewood to hold up the front of the transmission, and the back was still bolted to the crossmember, so, after a little jockeying of the floor jack, the hoist, and the engine, I got them separated.

That was as far as I got, since I was going down to Denver to see my fiancee.

Rob - don't think that I didn't give the body swap idea a pretty good go-around, but the lift on the Taco is tweaked, and I believe that the frame may be, as well. Not to mention that there is no way I would get that involved without a garage and workshop space to do it in!

Last edited by breknraj; 10-03-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Oops! Here's the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-worf-3-0-sm14.jpg   Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-worf-3-0-sm16.jpg   Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-worf-3-0-sm13.jpg  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

So I came home yesterday, and recieved the ORS kit!

I woke up to gray, rainy skies this morning - gave it a while to clear, but when it didn't, I decided to go ahead and start cleaning the engine bay on the truck. I still have some more work to do on the cleaning, but it looks a lot better, already.

I also got a couple of coats of high temp flat black paint on the new crossover pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-worf-3-0-sm17.jpg   Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)-worf-3-0-sm18.jpg  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM

WTF snow?
i live in arizona so.......... sunny 365 lol
nice work
Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by breknraj

I also got a couple of coats of high temp flat black paint on the new crossover pipe.
i have a bunch of header wrap leftover if you need some.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Looking great! Is that your steering damper in the engine bay?

Quick Reply: Finally venturing into my 3.4 swap (dial up warning)