3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Elvota's 3.4 swap

Old 12-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
a new one plus shipping cost me $11 so not too bad. i did have troubles with shipping cause of usps but that wasnt the companies fault. the site was www.carplugs.com they sell the plug and pins for the OBDII. as for the schematics which youll need for the exact year make model check out https://techinfo.toyota.com/ youll have to pay by day or month hell even year but in one day you can get tons and tons of info for everything imaginable for you and this swap. save and print it all
Thanks for the OBDII tip. So... do I want a male or female plug? Probably doesn't really matter.

I signed on to the TIS website before I started this swap. You are right, a very important site to gain lot's of information. Has really helped me figure out the wiring and related.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Can't believe I've missed this thread. Good to see the swap is well underway, Steve. If you need a hand stuffing the new engine in, give me a shout! I love that stuff. And of course I have a stock 97 3.4 for reference anytime if needed.

So... seeing the status, guess it would be tough to lead Frank and me on 404 tomorrow, huh?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
So... seeing the status, guess it would be tough to lead Frank and me on 404 tomorrow, huh?
That would be tough... maybe you can tow me through.

With all this rain, the area should be really cool. I am looking forward to getting this project done and back out on the trails again ASAP.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvota
Thanks for the OBDII tip. So... do I want a male or female plug? Probably doesn't really matter.

I signed on to the TIS website before I started this swap. You are right, a very important site to gain lot's of information. Has really helped me figure out the wiring and related.
Your gonna want the female plug as the male is what all obdII connectors are.

Its funny your having to work in the rain cause im in seattle and deal with that, cold, and now a bit of snow haha good times.

Ive almost got mine up and running after my swap seems that my MAF and intake temp sensor are done. This is the only code im throwing so hopefully this week ill be done with mine and ready to roll. Btw i also have to build my tranny tunnel after my flatbelly and add some new seats and i should be good to go this all is gonna be done in the rain or snow aswell so i feel your pain
Old 12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Working on finalizing the wiring today and came across a question... maybe someone will know the answer.

From the 3.4 ECM, I have a wire that wants to go to the "malfunction indicator lamp [comb. meter]".

Now, I also have a wire from the 3.4 ECM that wants to go to "bulb check relay [comb. meter]"

They are two completely different wires at two completely different pins on the 3.4 ECM plug.

The catch is I can only find a lead for the "check engine" bulb at the comb meter coming from the 3.0. I cannot locate a relay lead. My guess is that the 3.0 might not have a check bulb relay... only the bulb itself.

My plan is to connect the 3.4 lead looking for the "indicator lamp" to the "check engine" lead from the 3.0. I'd just leave the 3.4 lead looking for the bulb check relay disconnected.

Thoughts, ideas, comments....
Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Few more things checked off the list today.

Got the harness fully reassembled. Major chore.

This will be news to no one... but make sure you get a unmolested harness if at all possible. That said, I have learned a heck of a lot about this 3.4 and it's wiring, so maybe not all bad.

Much better:

I'll post up some tips of what I did connection wise when I know what works and what doesn't. So far, I haven't been forced to make any guesses in regards to wiring connections or how the 3.4 ECM will tie into the 4Runner, so am as confident as possible that things are going well. It's amazing how similiar the model years are. 85% of the wires are the same color from each motor. I also have a good handle on wiring diagrams now. Before all this, they just looked like jumbled modern art to me.

My motor mounts should be in Tuesday so I can drop the 3.4 in place and starting doing final routing and connections. Slowly moving forward...

Last edited by Elvota; 12-28-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Battery Tray

Fabbed up a battery tray for the DS fender. Turned out pretty good. To be honest, my battery wasn't ever really that secured to the factory position, so this new mount is a vast improvement.

Completed tray:

Sweet hold down (notice the lightening holes )

Tray installed:

Battery installed:

Final fit was excellent, tucked in just fine behind the radiator overflow. Now I just have to build the starter harness.

Last edited by Elvota; 01-31-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work on that battery tray!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve, that is coming along nicely. Good work on the battery tray and retro fitting your old alternator as well. Get it done!

The trails are waiting. This latest storm flooded most of the wash trails and cleaned them out. It looked as if nobody had driven them in a long time, it was great.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Steve...this question might be a bit late but do you need the engine sections from the FSM?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead
Steve...this question might be a bit late but do you need the engine sections from the FSM?
Im pretty sure he used techinfo.toyota.com to get what he needed as far a FSM stuff
Old 12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
I appreciate the offer, but fillsrunner4 is correct... I have been using the documents I downloaded from the TIS website.

Also, I have a few local guys who have been willing to look under their hoods to help with pieces of the puzzle.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
I appreciate the offer, but fillsrunner4 is correct... I have been using the documents I downloaded from the TIS website.

Also, I have a few local guys who have been willing to look under their hoods to help with pieces of the puzzle.
I figured you had it but wanted to make the offer. I downloaded all the '01 4Runner and '99 UZJ100 manuals from the TIS site myself.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Another helpful site ive used is www.deserted1.com/FSM/ its helped me quite a bit with diagnostics and a few other misc things. the only problem is its for an 03 taco and not the 96 t100 stuff ive been working with. still its a pretty good site. I wish my buddy kept his 4runner and i knew people with 3.4's lol oh well
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Exclamation i'll take that info

Have you found the plugs to match that ecu? this was my problem but theres a guy here who helped me track down the part number if you need some ill send you his info if you want.

Its alot of wires but its actualy pretty easy once you start diy.

my harness is missing the dash side of the plug and thats what i'm waiting on now thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

The EVAP puzzle

Okay... so YT has helped me figure out where all the EVAP lines go on my '96 charcoal cannister. The only problem is, that '96 EVAP assembly is huge.

I might be able to cram it in the engine bay, but am really enjoying all this free space i have gained with the ABS block removal and all the PS VSV stuff gone from the 3.0.

So, I know others have retained the relatively tiny charcoal cannister from the 3.0, and I have been trying to get an understanding of how the lines should be run.

Breknraj, feel free to chime in as I took a lot of inspiration from what you did in regards to this. In fact, I tried to dissect your routing from pics.... so let me know if I am off.

So we are all on the same page, here is the '96 3.4 EVAP assembly:

And here is my diagram helping me understand what it all does:

Now looking at the magnificent Breknraj Webshots photo album as well as scouring the web for pics, this is how I think it should be run using the 3.0 charcoal cannister:

Anyone see a problem with this routing? Seems to make sense to me... but so does doing a 3.4 swap in your garage with an oven and dishwasher still in the way.

So, using this info, I built a new VSV block again following the Breknraj lead:

Well, that's it. The EVAP mod plan in detail. Comments, questions or corrections definitely welcome.

Last edited by Elvota; 12-05-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM

The use of the 3.0 canister is definetly posible to do. theres 2 cans on the 3.0 one with 3 pipes. two on top one on the bottom. the bottom should have a hose on it that runs to a hole in the frame frame. On top youve got one that says purge and one that says tank. the tank goes to the gas tank and in the gas tank is a small vent that opens to allow fumes to be pulled from the intake. On your gas tank its the singe small piece that a hose can fit over on top of the tank 4 bolts hold it on (sorry to be so bland with the description i could post it later maybe)
As for the purge you run it into either the throttle body's top small ports or make it go into your intake. Let me know if that doesnt make sence but hope it helps.

The evap system may through a code like this but it wont really affect the motor by doing this way
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rayl82
my harness is missing the dash side of the plug and thats what i'm waiting on now thanks
Ya i had problems until i found the guy who got me the numbers for the part. Shoot me a pm if you need his info and i could point you in the right direction
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

The evap system may through a code like this but it wont really affect the motor by doing this way
Probably being overly picky, but I am trying to avoid any codes when I am all done. Even though my diagrams and design look a bit complex, it seems that the '96 ECM will be wanting to control 3 separate operations in regards to the EVAP system. Thus, I will be trying to keep all three (2 VSV's, 1 Pressure Sensor) connected while using the old 3.0 charcoal cannister as it appears Breknraj was able to do.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Its interesting that since im not running the egr, or any evap vsv's or cat for that matter the only code ive thrown right now is for my mass airflow metter. i think i have a dead spot in my wiring cause im not getting power to the plug and my truck will turn on when cold but shut right off within a few seconds. also im flooding the motor which doesnt help any

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elvota's 3.4 swap