3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Automatic Donor, Manual Truck. Can It Work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Automatic Donor, Manual Truck. Can It Work?

I am noticing that 3.4 donor vehicles with manual transmissions are few and far between. Can a 5VZFE from a truck with an automatic transmission be used in my 1993 Toyota pick up which has a manual transmission? And if so what kind of issues will there be, if any. When I converted my 1984 Xtra Cab, which had a five speed manual transmission, from carbureted to fuel injected, I used a donor vehicle that had an automatic transmission. The changeover required complete replacement of all the wiring harnesses and the ECU, in addition to the fuel system and engine parts. The fact that my donor was an automatic was only a small issue. I basically needed to trick the computer into thinking that the transmission was in neutral so that it wouldn't lock out the starter. That required one jumper wire to close a single circuit.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 07-27-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was researching the same questions for the same reasons. What I have found it yes it should work just fine. I got this information from the tech section on offroadsolutions website.
They also have information on doing the opposite(i.e. M/T to A/T) so if you wished.

Question: ”Can my vehicle be switched from an A/T to a M/T during the swap?”

ORS answer: "Yes, this is actually done pretty often. First of all, you will need to notify ORS of the transition when ordering a kit/harness. We will change the parts accordingly.
You will also need to install a clutch pedal, bracket, and hydraulic system into your vehicle. We suggest using these parts from a M/T donor vehicle of the same model/year, this will make the swap relatively simple. The floor will also have to be modified to accept the new shifter locations.
If a “Clutch Start Cancel” switch is desired this will have to be hard wired into your vehicle’s start circuit."

EDIT: After reading more closely im not sure it this does answer mine and your question. I think this assumes donor truck( so ECU and other sensors) come from M/T truck but im not sure.

Last edited by bryy; 07-27-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my swap used a 2nd gen 5 speed and a 98 3.4 with the auto ecu and harness since i didnt want to buy the m/t ECU. All i did was use resistors to trick the ECU into thinking the solenoids and atf temp sensor were in place (used 800 ohm resistors to ground). Also I used a relay powered by the STA terminal, the N/O powered "NSW" on the ECU. and N/C powered the "2". The relay Fools the PNPS which will throw codes if you start in other than park or drive in other than a gear. if you trick it into drive it will throw codes because it will see you in the wrong gear at the wrong speed. Also power the TFN (transfer case neutral) aswell to avoid speed sensor codes. (still trying to get the speedometer to work mind you)

if this is too much then I suggest you buy a M/T ECU and repin it. personally I didnt want to spend the money as they are not cheap around here ($600ish)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fixed the speedo. needle was stuck on wrong side of stop. so i know that will work also