3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap almost complete, just a few loose ends. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap almost complete, just a few loose ends. Help?

Ok, so the background first. My friend and i started this swap when my u joints went out and destroyed my 3.0 block where the tranny bolts up. I picked up the engine from a 97 4runner automatic and were taking our time getting everything together (like the money) and researching forums for about 6 months when my other vehicle was nearly totalled in a wreck. We went into overdrive and got the engine in and almost everything driveable in 3 weeks, it was exciting as hell when we first started it up at 11:15pm with nothing but the headers to silence it. scared us half to death(my throttle cable wasn't backed off nearly enough so it was reving pretty good)

We had done our best with the wiring diagrams we found at techinfo, metric motors, and the dealership and planned on jumping the park/neutral switch as i have read is possible. Also we bypassed the circuit opening relay where it goes to the fuel pump and ised a toggle instead.

Now for the two problems I need help with. we still have several wires from the body to engine harness connector that dont show up on either wiring diagram,
the c1 for the 93 pickup 3.0, and II3 connector for the 97 donor have about 6 wires still unknown.

The the connector right next to c1 i havent found anything for most of the wires. the ones i can find are only for the add on the 93 diagrams, but dont seem to have a match for the 97(yes it was add as well)

The ecl works, as well as the gas guage, and voltage guage work, but the tach, speedometer, oil pressure, and engine temp guages dont.

So, we got the exhaust hooked up and took it for a test drive. So exciting..... and then we started hearing gurgling from the engine compartment... it was overheating. I switched out the thermostat immediately, and still not better. Radiator isnt clogged, but i'm not getting any flow over the top of the radiator that i can see. I'm thinking it's gotta be a bad water pump, but the thing was working fine when it got hit front and back and i can't really see the water pump going bad from that. normally i would just pull it and check the impellers, bearings etc.. but toyota made it such a bitch to get to that i thought i would stop by and see if you guys had any insights i hadn't thought of.

In summary, my two questions are:
Does anyone have any other thoughts on the overheating before i start brain surgery?

and

Does anyone have a dash wiring diagram/insights into my loose wires for either the 93 pickup man., or the 97 4runner auto? An overall wiring diagram for the 93 might also help, but i couldnt find it on techinfo.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pm me your email and i can get you the diagrams.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to chime in on the overheating.

These things are notorious for getting an air pocket in them. If you haven't burped it already, you're going to need to get the front end as high as possible in the air, to the point where the radiator cap is the highest point in the cooling system. I used ramps on my already inclined driveway and had the front end up to the point where I damn near had to use a ladder to get to it. Turn on your heater to full hot and run the engine until it starts to burp the air out and keep topping it up.

The wiring I can't help you on, since I did a manual to manual swap and tossed out the ADD stuff.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM

cool, thanks. I pulled the water pump and the thing looks brand new inside. I have a bleeder in the top of the heater hoses but i guess that didnt do enough. I was thinking it might be an air pocket but figured the bleeder was good enough to fix that. I'll give lifting the front a try.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 PM

No, unfortunately it's not. You really have to get the rad cap to be the highest point in the system.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason you likely couldn't find the diagrams on Techinfo.com was that for pickups on some years you click on trucks and others you click on pickups. I noticed that back when I ws grabbing some diagrams for some guys on here. I would click on it and it would bring up a blank page.
As for the wiring I can send you a 93 4Runner diagram if that is going to help you. As I am still working on mine I can't say for sure but I have lot of wires that simply don't mate up to anything on the otherside. So there will be some wires that don't match that shouldn't hinder the truck in anyway.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Rob D thank you very much, i tried it and it worked beautifully. got about .5L of air out using your method.

Yoda, I did try going to trucks first, but it didnt pull anything up at all. the truck is running well, but with a tick in the top of the engine when it's warm and the rpms are above idle. not sure if thats something to worry about but it bothers me not knowing what it is.

I found some more diagrams for the dashboard with another visit to techinfo. last time i didnt know what a combination meter was. I still need to figure out how to wire the 3vz speed sensor which is a 3 wire plug, to the 5vz's 2 wires, and then i still need to look at it to see about hooking up the oil pressure sensor, tach, and coolant temp guage.

If anyone has anything to say about the speed sensor that would be appreciated, (just know i havent looked into the diagrams just yet to see if they say anything), as well as any issues/solutions they've run into with the others.

As always, thanks to everyone for all your help making this swap possible
Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM

No need to thank me. I probably found the answer on here when I had the same problem.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Are the tick very light in sound or are they deep. Light ticks could be the valves not being lubed well or the valves are worn.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM

not sure of the changes, but I swapped a 97 into a 90. I only had one spd sensor wire that went to the ecu. That is the only wire I hooked up, and looking at the real time data, my ecu is getting a speed when I am moving. If I remember right there is one wire that ends up leaving the combo meter wiring, and goes to one of the IH plugs. Thats the wire I used.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 AM

hamish, sounds like you have a mechanical speed sensor like mine. some pre-96 trucks and 4runners have electric speed sensors, and in that case, you would have to connect more than the comb. meter to ecu wire. unfortunately, that isn't much help to the OP.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM

sweet. hehe. I was planning on having to deal with that, as I wasn't sure I had it correct. But when I hooked the scanner up and drove it, the scanner picked up my speed. It was kinda a relief to not have to worry about something else. lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 PM

Well, I got the gauges all working right except the oil pressure, turns out 2 of the connectors on the 3vz include most of the wires for the 5vz's one. I still have a cel going on so i'll be hooking up my friends scan tool later this week and see what it pulls. turns out the click is from one of the evap vsvs so i'm probably gonna have to find a new one to replace it. Other than a few pre existing maintenance issues like a new cv axle and front wheel bearings the thing is running like a bamf. just took parleys canyon by my house which is a 9% grade and never had to leave 5th gear. I love this thing! oh, and i'm still using the makeshift 2" exhaust from the 3.0 so i'm excited to see what it'll do with a 2.5" when i get to that
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by thestrikingviking
just took parleys canyon by my house which is a 9% grade and never had to leave 5th gear. I love this thing! oh, and i'm still using the makeshift 2" exhaust from the 3.0 so i'm excited to see what it'll do with a 2.5" when i get to that
It is sweet, isn't it?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 PM

OK, so one more hitch in my setup. Everything's running beautifully, but went to install the 3vz cruise control today and realized, the vacuum hoses are all missing and i don't know where they go doh! I checked my Chilton and got a description of what cruise control does and how to diagnose it, and i cant find any pictures on google. Anyone have any pictures of their vacuum hoses installed and properly routed would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tee off any vac hose except the one going to the brake booster. Its just one line you need to run to the cruise vac actuator.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 AM

well, I noticed the one on the actuator, but All the hoses are missing, two that go to something that looks like a motor or pump which one says act and one says vac, and there's a little diaphragm looking thing that has a line to it as well. I know they all need to be connected, but i'm not sure what goes where