Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

throttle thingy removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle thingy removal

I have a 93 4runner with a 22re and the throttle sticks when you give it any kinda of throttle. As you know there is a kind of spring loaded rest that the throttle sits on but mine seems out to far, when i pull it back all the way everything is all right. I saw a post bout this somewhere but i cant seem to find it again. Is it alright to just take the thing off or will it hurt something. I live in newfoundland canada, i would like to get it fixed but if there are parts for it they would definetly need to be ordered and would be forever back ordered.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Do they have roads in Newfoundland? Oh wait, you have a Toyota, you don't NEED roads!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Nic

Have you cleaned the throttle body? That can cause the throttle to have that "sticky" feeling.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nic
Have you cleaned the throttle body? That can cause the throttle to have that "sticky" feeling.
That is my bet.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:23 AM

no, i think what he is talking about is the small peice on the side of the TB that gets clogged with dirt, or just gets worn out..is it the peice that has just 1 (maybe 2) bolts holding it to the throttle body? no wires attached to it? you can remove it. What it does, is when you let off your throttle, it will pop back really hard and fast. I had the same problem, my idle would be WAY TOO HIGH, and i would push it down, and it would be fine..but then i would open the throttle and it would stick high again...i took it off, and was wondering why it was there to begin with..seems like theres no reall good reason to it. i will try to get a picture of it tomarrow if i have time. And the post you remember reading was mine. (but i cant find it, for whatever reason) If your idle is high, or rough though, you could try running some seafoam see if it makes any difference... Good luck
Old 04-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by retardedspleen
no, i think what he is talking about is the small peice on the side of the TB that gets clogged with dirt, or just gets worn out..is it the peice that has just 1 (maybe 2) bolts holding it to the throttle body? no wires attached to it? you can remove it. What it does, is when you let off your throttle, it will pop back really hard and fast. I had the same problem, my idle would be WAY TOO HIGH, and i would push it down, and it would be fine..but then i would open the throttle and it would stick high again...i took it off, and was wondering why it was there to begin with..seems like theres no reall good reason to it. i will try to get a picture of it tomarrow if i have time. And the post you remember reading was mine. (but i cant find it, for whatever reason) If your idle is high, or rough though, you could try running some seafoam see if it makes any difference... Good luck
Must be talking about the dash pot (DP). http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf

Dash pots are like a shock absorber (damper) for your throttle.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-11-2005 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:02 PM

hey thanks guys that was a nice few replies. Ive tried a few things trying to unstick it but they havent worked, i havent tried seafoam yet, when i hold back that spring thing it idles perfectly so that was what i though it was. And flamedx your sarcastic post about newfoundland is far off, most of our roads are garbage.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, I'm having problems with my dashpot sticking as well. I know a few people that have superglued it in the in the downward position. Its purpose is to return the throttle slowly to the rest position which is supposed to reduce the hydrocarbons. A throttle quickly snapped shut will cause a momentary increase in hc's. I guess it must be programed into the ECU these days as I havn't seen one equipt on a car in a at least a decade.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:17 AM

i havnt seen any ill affect in removing it...will hydrocarbons do any damage to the engine at all? if it does..it must not be much cause i havnt seen any problems from removing it.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:34 PM

i dont think that removing will do any problems i found a post about it and i thought it said it doesnt hurt but i cant find it now. I am no expert but i do not believe a bit of excess hydrocarbons will do any harm. I dont know if this is the same thing but my dad bought a truck off my grand father, that was barely even driven, so it had some carbon build up in it and all he had to do was put some cleaning fluids through it and drive around with the pushed back in your seat accleration to clean it up. I dont think the last one would be a recommended fix but you know its kinda fun