Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Reverse lights work but not when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse lights work but not when in reverse

Ever since I've had my car the reverse lights haven't worked when I put it into reverse. It hasn't really bugged me until now. When I put the key in and turn the power on, the reverse lights go on, im not sure if thats normal or not. I know theres something wrong with the wiring, I just don't know where to even start to look for where the problem might be. Could somebody point me in the right direction to start looking?

Also, since Im on the electrical issue... The back window will only roll down from the switch on the inside, It won't roll down with the key in the back. Is there anyway to fix this?

Last edited by Dekri; 06-19-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like the problem is not in the tailgate like mine is, but rather in the tranny or where ever the switch thats says your in reverse.... my reverse lights and licence plate lights stopped working a while ago. i took apart the tailgate and wiht the window rolled up was able to trace the wires back and giggle them, only the reverse lights started working again for a day or 2 and then quit. if you take the tailgate apart, when the window is rolled up you can remove the key swich, it sounds like it is bad, the stealership or junk yard should have another one. good luck electrical problems are a PITA.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Reverse switch is in the tranny, simple connection to ground usually. Pull plug and test switch with an ohm meter, if that works in and out of reverse, then check the wiring between there and the backup lights.

Rear window troubleshooting and repair info:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 06-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an automatic and I didn't have back up lights either. I replaced the neutral safety switch and ta-daaaa I had back up lights.

However withing a month they were out again, and I've also noticed that I cannot start my 4Runner in neutral.

My guess is that the switch is out of adjustment on my vehicle.

Don't know if that helps or not
Old 06-23-2005, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reverse lights seem to have been covered. On the rear window There is a relay box inside the truck behind the rear kick panel and it is a PITA to get to. I know that on my RIGHT HAND DRIVE japan model it is behind the left rear kick panel (or trim panel if you will) I am not sure if it is on the left side for the U.S. trucks as well. At any rate the relays for the rear window are in that box as well as the rest of the connections for all the the electrical power in the back of the truck I know on my runner that the power for the lights is all just pass through less that dome light in the back....but all other functions in the back need one of the relay in the box.....door open, rear wiper, window up and down from key, and yet a different one for window up/down int switch....yet something else for you to check if none of the above seem to fix the problem.......