Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Griots cleaner wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Griots cleaner wax?

Just ordered Griots kit containing fine hand polish, best of show wax, clay bar and speed shine. I know corey is the master but I could not find anything on his site or a thread here on the mixing of their hand polish and wax which was a tip in their catalog. Just wondering if anyone tried this, their results and if it was a pita without the porter cable? I went this route because toyota white needs a cleaning and Zaino Bros I was using involves more steps so I figured I'd try this cleaner wax and eliminate one step.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 05:10 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im interested in this too... and i have another question: for getting rid of swirlmarks, should i clay then wax? is that it?
Old 09-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Griot's

I've used it numerous times, great stuff. The PC is worth the money cause of the time it saves you and the wear and tear on old elbows.

Wash with Dawn. No need to even dry. Clay. Polish w/ Griot's 1, 2 or 3 depending on the condition of your paint. Not all paint on the whole car is in the same condition, so adjust accordingly. Remove polish while WET or mist is after it dries to remove. Wax one coat. Let it sit overnight. Wax another coat. Let it dry. Remove and buff out.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lee
im interested in this too... and i have another question: for getting rid of swirlmarks, should i clay then wax? is that it?
Swirl remover or 3M finess it II finishing machine polish works great for getting rid of swirlmarks.

I have a black truck and a black BMW/with clear coat. I won't use any wax with cleaners mixed in.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Remove polish while WET or mist is after it dries to remove.
THAT's what I forget to do EVERY FRIKIN time! I HATE removing anything Griots...sooooo tough! :pat:
Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Nah

Originally Posted by gapguy
THAT's what I forget to do EVERY FRIKIN time! I HATE removing anything Griots...sooooo tough! :pat:
Not if you remove the polish WET and the wax DRY!

Old 09-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Not if you remove the polish WET and the wax DRY!

Doh!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:13 PM

I guess I was looking for more about the hand aplication and if anyone has tried this combo before. I do realize that black is a special app because I've owned a black car before and you really have to be careful what you use. Toyota white seems to get dull and chalky relatively fast so I figured I would need a polish but not quite a compound because I use a wash/wax soap and try to wax twice a year. Just though I could eliminate a step. I'm not too picky about the paint and white does not seem to show swirls and imperfections that easily. And yes, I would never use this combo on black!
And if it was new I would definatley use Zaino as a protectant. So easy to apply and take off. But in order to use Zaino on older paint, they don't have a good polish for white paint to prep for their protectant. And they have too many steps for me.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lee
Nope:

- Dawn treatment
- Claybar
- Wash again with Dawn (that's what I do)
- Polish
- Wax

You may need to polish with increasingly abrasive polishes to get your swirls out.

Never worked for me w/ black so I switched to Zainos for much better results (oh no, not another Zaino vs Griot's debate!)

Bob
Old 09-29-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Nope:

- Dawn treatment
- Claybar
- Wash again with Dawn (that's what I do)
- Polish
- Wax

You may need to polish with increasingly abrasive polishes to get your swirls out.

Never worked for me w/ black so I switched to Zainos for much better results (oh no, not another Zaino vs Griot's debate!)

Bob
So... what Zaino product do you use for an abrasive polish? I like Zaino but No need to debate. I think they both are good products but Zaino is so easy to use on new paint. Comes off so easy also.