Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed
Old 04-19-2016, 03:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Change your fuel filter... NOW

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change your fuel filter... NOW

Just got the opportunity to change out my fuel filter on my Taco today which was a snap. I had about 93K miles and thought it was time to do so. The Stealer says the fuel filter is not a serviceable item and therefore is not covered in any maintenance schedules. I say BS, if you can unscrew it and take it off, you can definitely fix it or replace it.

Here are the steps involved: Undid the gas cap to relieve pressure in the system. Got my bucket out to catch the spilled gasoline. Unscrewed the 2 banjo fittings holding the fuel line into the filter. Unscrewed the 2 nuts holding the filter in place. Pulled out the old and put on the new.... and VOILA! Instant throttle response.

I couldn't believe it, after the new fuel filter was installed, it seems like I was driving a new car. Throttle response was tremendous, just tapped on the pedal on it seemed I had a supercharger on! May be a bit exaggerated, but that was the feeling I got. Your experience may vary of course. I'll keep you folks updated on the gas mileage if it should affect it.

IF YOU FOLKS HAVEN'T CHANGED YOUR FUEL FILTER YET, DO IT AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:23 PM

I would, but it is not a "snap" for the unfortunate pre-Tacoma owners. It's more of a "sailor words" type of maintenance item, at least on the 22RE.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

i have been wondering about this, and i just assumed the dealers did this as normal maintenance. im guessing mine has never been changed. it there a write-up somewhere for 3rd gen 4runners? or is it the same on Tacos?
i want to do this, but dont know how to go about it...

-Casey
Old 06-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Seems pretty easy...
Is it in a harder to work location on other rigs?
Old 06-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm. Not sure if the location of your fuel filter is the same as in my Taco, which is on the inner frame on the driver's side. I think on the 2.7 though, it is on the engine on the driver's side right under the exhaust manifold. I could be mistaken so just wait for others to chime in and correct me, but that's how it is on my dad's Taco. BTW, I hear it's a "beyotch" to take off though.

Last edited by humanoid; 06-19-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2G Runners has it in a spot where making it an "unserviceable" item makes sense. I'm afraid to touch mine since I have a touch of rust under my rig.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reminder, it's been on my to-do list for awhile now.
I don't think it's ever been replaced before
Old 06-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

for 3rd Gen 4Runners, the fuel filter is just on the inside of the drivers side frame rail under the drivers door.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Nic

Yeah, the fuel filter is a little tough to get to on the 2.7L. It is under the intake manifold on the driver's side. You have to take the wheel off and get to it that way.

My truck had about 120K miles on it when I changed it, and it definitely needed it. I don't think the previous owner had ever done it. I cut it in half to see how bad it was:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...18292209CbHfPR
Old 06-20-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by humanoid
Just got the opportunity to change out my fuel filter on my Taco today which was a snap. I had about 93K miles and thought it was time to do so. The Stealer says the fuel filter is not a serviceable item and therefore is not covered in any maintenance schedules. I say BS, if you can unscrew it and take it off, you can definitely fix it or replace it.
Your stealership is full of ˟˟˟˟˟. It is a maintenance item (I'm looking at the maint. schedule as I type this) and it should be done every 60k miles, if not every 30k. Of course, my dealer charges $85, which is a ripoff considering you can get the part for about $30 and it takes less than half an hour to install.

/Doesn't go to stealership anymore....
Old 06-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
Hmmmm. Not sure if the location of your fuel filter is the same as in my Taco, which is on the inner frame on the driver's side. I think on the 2.7 though, it is on the engine on the driver's side right under the exhaust manifold. I could be mistaken so just wait for others to chime in and correct me, but that's how it is on my dad's Taco. BTW, I hear it's a "beyotch" to take off though.
That's exactly where the 2.7's filter is. I changed my wife's when she had the '99 taco with the 2.7 and it took me about 4 hours!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
for 3rd Gen 4Runners, the fuel filter is just on the inside of the drivers side frame rail under the drivers door.
for V6 3rd gens you mean.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

thanx for the help, ill attack this next weekend i think, ive got 128,000 on my 2.7 now and im not sure its ever been changed.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Nic

Casey, if you're 4Runner is like my 2.7L Tacoma, you will need some long extensions or one very long one, a universal joint, and probably a stubby wrench or stubby ratchet to undo the fittings on the fuel lines. Loosen the fuel line fittings on the filter before unscrewing the bolts holding the filter on the engine block.

By the way, it helps to have magnet inserts for your your socket when undoing the bolts that hold the filter to engine block. That way you won't lose them when you take them out and it is almost necessary when reinstalling them. If you don't have something to keep them in the socket, they will almost certainly fall out.

Last edited by Nic; 06-21-2004 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:29 AM

Humanoid (I'm assuming this is you Ray),
I recently had my fuel filter changed on my 97 4runner (along with the clutch) and I definitely feel like the throttle response is better. The dealer up here in North County also said it was not necessary but I did it anyway.

The SoCal guys recommended a place called Protrux in San Marcos that has turned out to be a quality place with good prices. They do fabrication and custom work and the owner has been in San Diego his whole life. Where do you get your work done?

Sage (Sayjal)

P.S. How's the E39?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sage
Humanoid (I'm assuming this is you Ray),
I recently had my fuel filter changed on my 97 4runner (along with the clutch) and I definitely feel like the throttle response is better. The dealer up here in North County also said it was not necessary but I did it anyway.

The SoCal guys recommended a place called Protrux in San Marcos that has turned out to be a quality place with good prices. They do fabrication and custom work and the owner has been in San Diego his whole life. Where do you get your work done?

Sage (Sayjal)

P.S. How's the E39?
Uhhhhhh, no my name is not Ray
Old 06-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Sorry. It's funny that I know a guy named Ray whose handle on another forum is humanoid and he lives in San Diego......coincidence?

He has a Dinan BMW 540 and I thought he bought a Toyota.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sage
Sorry. It's funny that I know a guy named Ray whose handle on another forum is humanoid and he lives in San Diego......coincidence?

He has a Dinan BMW 540 and I thought he bought a Toyota.
No problem, it's cool, no harm done!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

i wrote a write up that explains the procedure: http://www.4runners.org/articles/fuelfilter

bob
Old 07-03-2004, 07:59 AM

Undid the gas cap to relieve pressure in the system.
Pressure is in the fuel line, not the tank. Releasing pressure somewhere else would be more beneficial to the success of the project

Quick Reply: Change your fuel filter... NOW