Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

All I have is "squish"...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I have is "squish"...

I posted this over on the "Maintenance & Repairs" board a couple of hours ago because I thought that was where I was suppose to post that kind of thing & still no response & it's getting pretty dark here with bedtime approaching, so I thought I'd give it a shot here (sorry if it's wrong to do here, but I'm new & desperate ).
In a nutshell; I thought that I would knock out some very much needed maintenance items before the weekend got here, like the brake pads & shoes, as well as the power steering pump (which seems to be where I've gone wrong), & now I got NO brakes!
From what I've "searched" I need to bleed the PS pump to get pressure back to the brakes because they are somehow tied together, but I do not know which of the 4 lines on the pump is the "return" line (the one to the resevoir; the one to the valve body; or one of the two that connect to the fitting on the bottom, left side of the valve body??????) on my '94 'runner.
Please guys, I'm stuck here & seriously in need of help.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 PM

to get pressure back to the brakes you should bleed the brake line to get rid of all the air bubbles inside the brake line.

do a search for 'bleeding brakes' but since it is dark i have done the search for you:

bleeding brakes HowTo

Last edited by paranoidandroid; 06-16-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Also, I dont understand your problem with the power steering. Does it work? It's only your brakes that aren't working right?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 PM

I've bled the brakes prior to my doing the PS pump & now I've got nothing.
From what I've read, the brake/ABS system uses pressure from the PS pump to actuate, or am I wrong??
And yes, the PS works, just not the brakes.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-16-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

I bet your master cylinder went out, or you have a leak in one of the lines somewhere. Look for puddles/leaking fluid.

I have no idea where the PS thing came from. Never heard of that connection.

When you pump the brakes, do you get some pressure?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I bet your master cylinder went out, or you have a leak in one of the lines somewhere. Look for puddles/leaking fluid.

I have no idea where the PS thing came from. Never heard of that connection.

When you pump the brakes, do you get some pressure?
I had "on a dime" type, solid braking power prior to the upgrades, so I don't think that the master went out just from changing stuff out.

No signs of any leaks anywhere & this is with me tracing the lines from underneath the truck off of my creeper.

I read about it here while I was re"search"ing to do the PS pump.

Yes, I can "pump" up pressure sometimes, sometimes nada.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-16-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you checked the brake fluid level?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you seen this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...power+steering
Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 PM

"Yes" to both "EWAYota"(as part of bleeding the brakes & the finishing "top off") & "mt goat"(as part of my researching the R&R on the PS pump[note that while "Mohamed" mentions the "return/effullent line", he does'nt specify which one it is]).
Old 06-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Buy a repair manual.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Buy a repair manual.
Duh! I've both the "Haynes" & "Chiltons" & while the "Chiltons" offered no insight, I've just noticed that the "Haynes does & even has an exploded view of the PS pump that I have with it's componets labled. Double duh!

What can I say, it's been a long day I guess?
What, after doing the front & rear shocks, front & rear brakes, bleeding them (I "thought" i did) & PS pump as well, I guess I'm a little too tired to see straight because I swear that I looked in that damn book more than once this evening trying to figure it out before I got on here & troubled you guys.

Thanks all around, guys, & even you too, "Rocket".

I hope that this solves my braking issue, but it's too late for me to mess with now & I'm a little too tired to even try, "RedBull" or not.

Please forgive, I am, afterall, a "newbie" & damn it!, now I think that I've lost all of my rubber bleeder caps

Last edited by 94x4; 06-16-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94x4
Thanks all around, guys, & even you too, "Rocket".
Glad i could help short and sweet
Old 06-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

The return line would be the one going into the side of the resevior. The banjo fittings are for the high pressure side. Here is the 93 truck FSM: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-...3fsm/index.html
Old 06-16-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The return line would be the one going into the side of the resevior. The banjo fittings are for the high pressure side. Here is the 93 truck FSM: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-...3fsm/index.html
Ditto reply from the "Maintenance & Repair" section, "mt goat".
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Sounds like you have it under control but I thought I'd add- when I R&R'd my third members for gears of course I had to disconnect the rear brakes. I bled and bled and could not get a firm pedal. I finally bought a brake bleeder (actually I bought a MityVac) and REALLY bled them. Even then it took two times around, but it finally got them bled. These things can be a bit harder to bleed than some vehicles.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned

when bleeding brakes it is very possible to blow the master cyclinder from allowing it to have too much travel......

thus giving the impression your brakes are good and bled but on testdrive there are no brakes.....
Old 06-17-2005, 10:13 AM

Jim is right. It's easy to trash the master cylinder if you press it all the way to the floor when bleeding brakes. You can score the piston and seals in the M.C. allowing it to leak internally and not hold pressure. It's also very hard to get all the air out of the lines sometimes. Do a very careful job on bleeding everything again.

I
Old 06-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

So did you bleed your brakes? You shouldn't have needed to bleed them from just changing the pads unless you for some reason disconnected the brake line. I agree if you bleed the brakes using the pedal method you could have damaged your master cylinder. Here is some good info on that: http://www.gadgetonline.com/BrakeFlush.htm
Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um I think you need to bleed the brakes. hahaha Im teasing.

Glad to hear you got it all worked out.

Never new about the Power Steering pressuse affecting the Brakes. Cool to know. I Learned something today YIPPE.. I am so SMRT.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:13 PM

O.k., so I did'nt get around to doing the brakes today because I got hung up changing out the plugs that I thought I would do first to get them out of the way & then move down to the brakes, but it did'nt work out that way.
2, 4, & 6 were a breeze (as they are with little or no obstructions), even 3 & 5 were not all that difficult, but #1 almost killed me & took the whole damn day to do!
I bruised my hands trying to get that damn thing out of there & even my shoulders are killing me, though I finally did manage to get it out & change it.
I can't imagine what it was that went wrong, but that was the longest, dreariest, most difficult time that I have ever experienced doing a simple thing like changing out the plugs on any car I've ever owned or worked on. :cry:
O.k., done crying now & brakes tomorrow (damn it).

Last edited by 94x4; 06-17-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: All I have is "squish"...