Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

2nd Gen 4Runner 3-VZE PCV valve nightmare

Old 09-17-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2nd Gen 4Runner 3-VZE PCV valve nightmare

So, in my effort to tune up my 1990 3.0 V6 4Runner, I decided (curse me) to replace the PCV valve. No big deal, right? Done it thousand times on hundred cars. So I buy me a PCV valve, open up the hood and begin looking.

After about 10 min, I still cannot find a PCV valve. I feel my IQ drop a point with each additional minute. Finally, I consult a few websites and Toyota service manual.. "engine top, center, passenger valve cover.." Right.

I go back to looking. No dice. Then, I start tracing hoses that might have anything to do, even remotely, with crankcase ventilation. Finally, I see something. That something is indeed on the passenger side valve cover, but it is burried under so much sh..t it is impossible to see. I grab a strong flashlight, bury my head in the engine, and it does indeed look like PCV valve. BUT, it is buried. Gee, I am so proud of myself, I found the pcv valve. *strut*

I disconnected some hoses and tried to get at it, but there is no way. Tried reaching it with pliers, no luck. This is rediculous.

I'll tell ya, the 3VZE engine and components have been a maintenance nightmare so far. I want my 22RE back..

Has anyone replaced PCV valve on their 3VZE, and is it even possible without pulling the engine?? How the heck did you get to it?

This would definitely qualify as a dumb question had it been any other engine I worked on.. but here it is.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:15 AM

I feel your pain. After finally figuring out where mine was, I opted to remove the PCV valve the hard way. Namely, removing the TB and removing the intake manifold. This does suck b/c you have to label and disconnect the swarm of hoses attached to the intake manifold plus the EGR valve. I did it, though, b/c I wanted to clean out the intake manifold and TB anyways. If you go this route, make sure to get a new gasket for the intake manifold and TB.

As for removing the PCV w/o removing the intake manifold, I believe this is how most people do it. Not sure how since I've never tried it, but I have heard that breaking the plastic grommet the PCV valve goes into is pretty common when the PCV valve is removed this way.

Best of luck in either case. Oh, and BTW, wait until you go to change your fuel filter

Last edited by szf2; 09-17-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Just pay the dealer the $40 and let them do it. It is well worth the time and hassle. That's what I did.

My $.02

Old 09-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Yep.. it sucks! I have changed mine, butit was while the intake plenum was off.. All in all it is not too bad, and some g\hoses can stay on the plenum (the inake is under the plenum, and doses not get removed btw..) If a dealer will do it for $40, pay them.. trust me! If you pull the plenum, use a good gasket tack to put the new gasket on.. it is a bitch and the gaskets like to crack if you don't.. Don't use silicoln, but something like Indian Heads gasket tack..
Old 09-17-2003, 04:06 PM

I actually opted to do it the hard way being the inventive bombtech that I am. I used some channel-locks and they did the trick. Going back in was what I say is the hard part. It took me an astounding hour to complete and yes that is along time for a pcv but hey I did it myself. Yes the grommet did break so i used tweezers and a flashlight to retrieve it. Just my .02 worth.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had Merchants do mine and the fuel filter at the same time. Watched the mech. cuss and cuss but he finaaly got it done.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:15 PM

I managed to replace mine without removing intake or damaging anything. It was a pain but I finally got it, I used a pliers to wrestle it out of there. It took awhile, but it is possible. good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:03 PM

Replacing the PCV valve on the 3VZ engine sucks! Honestly (and I know some of you are going to argue this) if the engine has been maintained (oil changed regularly) I don't see the urgengy of changing it. The OEM part is very good quality (better than what you'll get at Auto Zone) and I've not seen any problems with them. If you do change it, spray some silicone spray on the new valve where it goes into the grommet to help it slide in. As hard as they come out, they go in even harder! Just my $.02
Old 09-18-2003, 04:09 AM

Thank you for all the responses! I thought I was losing my mind.

What was Toyota thinking... here is this pretty long valve cover, and they put the PCV valve in just about the most inaccessible place on it. .. Some a$$ of an engineer that has never touched an engine in his life, I bet... probably drives a Lexus and bring it to dealer for service

I might try it myself or bring it to a stealership if all fails. I am pretty stubborn and if some of you managed to do it, so can I. The original part may be good quality, but the problem is, it IS the original, meaning it is probably 13 years old, with 130k on it, and has never been replaced. No wonder, they are so hard to replace, I bet 90% or more of 3VZE live out their lives without PCV valve ever being touched.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Before I had mine replaced I asked the dealer to do it and they said that they would have to order one because they normally would never replace them.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

^just another wise dealer lol.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:14 PM

After my experience, I would suggest to anyone to change it out if you have a high mileage engine. Its a $6 part...cheap insurance, IMO.

Mine was clogged and I was burning oil that was being forced past the rings. Bad news when you're on a road trip. Ended up running oil on the low mark for a while and toasted some oil in the crankcase. Funny how the dealer can do a major tuneup and tell you your truck is running like a top w/ a clogged PCV .