Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

1985 22re sputtering

Old 04-29-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 22re sputtering

I have a 85 runner w/ a 22re automatic. I have recently replaced the fuel filter, fuel line, plugs, wires, dist. cap w/ rotor. It still sputters very bad off of the bottom, especially when the motor is cold. It will run slightly beter when the motor is at normal temp? Could this be the timing being completely off....???EGR??? any helpful tips or hints
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Could be the EGR is opeing too soon. Check the BVSV (Bi-metal Switching Valve) to make sure it is not letting vacuum through to the EGR modulator until the engine is warm.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

I coulden't belive how far off my timeing was, and the engine still ran!! It was like a new engine...(oh yeah ...it is a new engine).
At least check the timeing.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Could be the EGR is opeing too soon. Check the BVSV (Bi-metal Switching Valve) to make sure it is not letting vacuum through to the EGR modulator until the engine is warm.
Roger,

I've been having the same exact problem for awhile but I've ignored it since the engine runs fine after warming up. However, I'd like to correct this problem. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to working on engines. I've tried cleaning out the throttle body and the air valves around it in case they were clogged but that didn't help.

How would one go about 'checking' the BVSV and EGR and where are they located? If you have info on your site, feel free to point me there rather than retype everything.

I appreciate any help anyone can shed light on what seems like a somewhat common situation with the 22RE.

Peace,

Justin
Old 04-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

EGR valve is at the back of the intake plenum, big rusty cast iron "thingy". Modulator is the round plastic thing atop the valve cover with vacuum lines running to it and one that runs to of all places, the EGR valve. Follow the vacuum line from the modulator along the v/c to a gray plastic thing beklow the TB with 2 vacuum lines connected to it. One of those comes from the TB, and one goes to the EGR-mod. Its purpose is to block vacuum when cold, open when warm, passing vacuum to the EGR-mod. Simple test is to see if vacuum is present on the BVSV outlet when cold. The facotry service manual has full testing details. It it quite siple if you just follow the lines and make sure vacuum is present when it is supposed to be and not when it is not.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
It it quite siple if you just follow the lines and make sure vacuum is present when it is supposed to be and not when it is not.
Now I'm going to sound like a total moron. Feel free to harass after this one:

What's an easy way to check for the vacuum? Take the hose off and feel for air moving?

Sincerely yours,

Mechanically D. Clined
Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

A vacuum gauge is the likely tool to use, since it is made to measure "vacuum". Even better option is to get a hand-operated vacuum pump with gauge attached and you have two tools in one. A gauge to test vacuum with and a pump to apply vacuum to testing vacuum operated things with. And add a brake bleeding kit and you can also bleed brakes with the same tool:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...oup?Ntt=vacuum