Tacoma 4.0 engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elripster
This is actually not true.

Octane ratings only address the fuel's resistance to detonation, nothing else. The flame front and energy density are not affected unless the higher octane fuel is formulated differently which it often is to improve energy density.
Sometimes manufacturers dope the fuel with more carbon-carbon bonded molecules which take a high activation energy to break up (thus resist detonation) and also therefore release more energy per unit volume.
However people want to think about it. The key is:

Originally Posted by elripster
The fact that the engine can run at a high compression ratio in itself improves the engine's thermodynamic efficiency.

To save money, one might run the lowest octane fuel, I do. However, my engine is not designed to take advantage of the higher octane hence my savings.
Compression ratio is the end all and be all of power in an internal combustion engine. If you don't have the compression ratio, higher octane is a waste.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you can shoehorn that 4.0 into a 2nd gen, I bet you will be getting over 20 MPG.

I am getting 19.60 MPG with 1" over stock size mud tires (I am running 285x70x17, stock is 265x70x17) 3" lift, heavy bumper/winch combo city/freeway combined driving.

The rig also is pushing I bet around 4.6K lb or better.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few guys running premium in their 4.0's are reporting that they are noticing better gas mileage running premium over regular. If your engine can benefit from running premium, I say take advantage of it.

Fuel is mainly comprised of Octane and Septane. Octane is a more complex molecule which can handle compression better. Septane is more unstable so it readily ignites when compressed. Thus the more Octane, the more stable the fuel is, and the more it can resist compression before detonation.

Now putting this all together - the more you can compress a fuel without it igniting from the compression (you want the spark to cause it to ignite as that's what works best with your timing chain/timing belts and the stroke of the piston), the more power it has/the harder it blows the Piston back which equals power/torque when the spark ignites. An engine with a higher compression ratio, combined with fuel that can tolerate this higher compression ratio, equals an engine that doesn't have to work as hard, and has a bit more power as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could a 4.0 fit in a 3rd gen?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nate08
Could a 4.0 fit in a 3rd gen?
If you really wanted to. I've seen people put a Corvette motor in a Suzuki Samurai. Why not just get the 3.4 Supercharger? It would be MUCH cheaper, and easier to do.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not 'clip' it?

By that I mean, buy a rollover of the motor/driveline you want, take it to a frame shop and have them straighten it if need be and do any needed repairs to the front end.
Then find an area where the two frames coincide and cut out your 90s stuff and insert the whole modern frame, IFS, steering, etc. Customize the radiator support as need be for cooling and hook up the steering. If I went this far, I'd choose a Limited 4Runner as the donor vehicle so I could get the auto climate control, new seats and the whole 9 yards and update the interior too. You might as well use the rear end too so you have 4 wheel disk and ABS.

You'd basically get all the modern conveniences at a fraction of the price and tax value (for those of you who pay taxes on your trucks every year.)
If you look at it like you are updating that much the cost of the donor vehicle isn't that great.

I'm just trying to decide to what to do this with, Tundra w/ the 5.7, 4Runner w/ 4.0 or some LS1 kind of animal.
I'm sort of hoping the planets don't align until there's a plug in hybrid drivetrain I can put in. Like maybe from a plug in hybrid Tundra maybe

That's what I'll do.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 04-06-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Why not 'clip' it?

By that I mean, buy a rollover of the motor/driveline you want, take it to a frame shop and have them straighten it if need be and do any needed repairs to the front end.
Then find an area where the two frames coincide and cut out your 90s stuff and insert the whole modern frame, IFS, steering, etc. Customize the radiator support as need be for cooling and hook up the steering. If I went this far, I'd choose a Limited 4Runner as the donor vehicle so I could get the auto climate control, new seats and the whole 9 yards and update the interior too. You might as well use the rear end too so you have 4 wheel disk and ABS.

You'd basically get all the modern conveniences at a fraction of the price and tax value (for those of you who pay taxes on your trucks every year.)
If you look at it like you are updating that much the cost of the donor vehicle isn't that great.

I'm just trying to decide to what to do this with, Tundra w/ the 5.7, 4Runner w/ 4.0 or some LS1 kind of animal.
I'm sort of hoping the planets don't align until there's a plug in hybrid drivetrain I can put in. Like maybe from a plug in hybrid Tundra maybe

That's what I'll do.
How about getting a rolled 4th gen 4runner, and putting the 1st or 2nd gen body on the 4th gen frame. I think that would be fairly simple to do, if you know how to fabricate new body mount spots.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
You'd basically get all the modern conveniences at a fraction of the price and tax value (for those of you who pay taxes on your trucks every year
Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why not get a 4.0 and supercharge that, would be way better than the 3.4. and if the tallness of the motor is the problem wouldnt a 6in body lift solve it?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dare44
why not get a 4.0 and supercharge that, would be way better than the 3.4. and if the tallness of the motor is the problem wouldnt a 6in body lift solve it?
I'm thinking maybe custom hood would work out better than that. It might be ugly, but at least your body mounts wouldn't break
Old 04-06-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why u need a hood anyway, there are a few camaros around here that dont have them just water proof it lol
Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 AM

by running higher octane your motor will run more efficent which in the long run you do get better gas mileage in most vehicals , in most case dealers require to run higher octane gas for warranty purposes . valve predetination is bad on valve train caused by low octane fuel runnin leaner than is called for . "burnt valves, burnt pistons" and dirter oil than normal
Old 05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by john rumbo
by running higher octane your motor will run more efficent which in the long run you do get better gas mileage in most vehicals , in most case dealers require to run higher octane gas for warranty purposes . valve predetination is bad on valve train caused by low octane fuel runnin leaner than is called for . "burnt valves, burnt pistons" and dirter oil than normal
While that is true for some motors, other motors will see no noticeable benefit from running Premium gas. There may be a small MPG gain(or sometimes a small loss) but that small of a gain will NEVER come close to offsetting the added cost of buying the premium. Some people like to adjust their timing for an extra almost 10-20 HP, but they have to run higher octane gas to prevent pinging.