Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

7mge swap

Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I will get some as is shots up sometime this week. Once I get all my pics together I will start a new thread on the build. Pretty excited, got her to fire up Monday night, meaning I did something right. Lil B-Day present to myself. I knew it ran good before I took it out of the Supra, which I actually got out of Spokane, the wiring is what was questioning the start up.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Well here's some shots of the beast as she sits right now. Just finished mounting the radiator/e-fans and final touches of the core support last night. Gonna try and start and build thread this weekend.

Name:  Runner2.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  Runner1.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  52.5 KB
Name:  Runner3.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  Runner4.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  72.5 KB
Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 PM

very nice, looks clean! keep posting up, and post a link to the build thread when you get it up. happy new years
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thread, great info!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 PM

I realize that this is an older thread but I am very interested in talking to anyone who would help me out with some wiring on my 22RE-7MGE. I put a 1986.5 7MGE into my 1994 Pickup that was originally a 22RE. I am very close but am lacking something in the wiring department. I am not very familiar with this forum and would be thrilled if someone looking to help would E-mail me at Diamond2382prelude@yahoo.com

I have searched and searched but noone has an exact write up that only covers wiring. I have seen the ones on supracharged and all that but my wiring harness that comes from the supra engine is different. I assume it is different because it was the changeover year for the supra body styles.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:38 AM

I have no idea what ilovemyz did, but all i can say is just ignore that post. There is nothing that is going to help you there.
A 7m will bolt up to a w series transmission with an n/a supra bellhousing.
Cressida's are a good cheap source for 7m's as well and those likely havent been driven hard. Thats where i got my 7m.
I had 4.88's and 35" tires with a w56 trans, and didnt have any problems breaking them loose on dry pavement. I was getting pretty decent mileage as well, about the same as when the truck has a 22re and was 2wd.
The mid sump supra pan works with a solid axle wthe high steer, unless you have the rngine lifted pretty high, its going to hit.
I put a 7m in my rhd surf/4runner as well, its ifs and the cressida front sump works best here. I made my own motor mounts for both swaps and didnt need a body lift. The surf swap i had to take the steering damper off and cut the mount on the relay rod off to clear the oild pan.
That one i left as an auto, i used the surf auto but had to change out the trans pump and input shaft with the cressida ones, or i could have used the cressida auto and cut the output shaft down to 2.5" and bolt the transfer case to the back of the transmission.
Wiring is easy, just go to the supracharged site and follow that.
I had oiling issues and pulled the 7m out of my truck and replaced it with a 1uz.
If i was going to keep the 7m in the truck i would have went with an accusump oil accumulator to deal with off camber and steep incline situations.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 AM

Ignore that post? That's pretty funny because nobody said that 13 years ago when I did my swap but now everybody is an expert on 7mge yotas. The only guy with any info for me had a 2wd and ran a cable clutch. When you have no info you fabricate, when you fabricate enough it becomes a pain in the nuts, especially when you turn a wrench for a living nobody had any definitive info on the w bell housings being the right length or the 5mge engine mount brackets fitting for sure and there were no pictures at all. So yea I fabricated everything and yes it sucked. Theres apparently much more info thats popped up on these swaps in the last five years or so, but why would one be inclined to research how to build a deck after they had already made theirs? Regardless if I blow another hole in a 7mge wheeling it its all coming out anyway for a 5.3 which you couldnt find when I started this swap anyway, then the truck won't be as nose heavy and have more low end power