Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

5.OHO into 95 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine is out

pulled it as a unit. What a pain. but better that way. here is the engine and trans on the ground.

Started to sort out the wiring and don't want to cut any wires until I have to but what a mess.

here it sits with the motor out and waiting for the new motor.

things I want to do while the motor is out.

Remove the ABS pump and reroute the rear brake lines.
I plan to bypass the power steering stuff on the passengers side of engine compartment and go directly to the box. The Ford power steering pump is on the dirvers side. So the new hoses I hope to have made will go directly to the steering box.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 PM

The engine is out

pulled it as a unit. What a pain. but better that way. here is the engine and trans on the ground.

Started to sort out the wiring and don't want to cut any wires until I have to but what a mess.

here it sits with the motor out and waiting for the new motor.

things I want to do while the motor is out.

Remove the ABS pump and reroute the rear brake lines.
I plan to bypass the power steering stuff on the passengers side of engine compartment and go directly to the box. The Ford power steering pump is on the dirvers side. So the new hoses I hope to have made will go directly to the steering box.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 PM

and yea I am doing all of this in a parking lot behind our church.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 PM

looks good...how come you're doing it in the back parking lot of the church?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
looks good...how come you're doing it in the back parking lot of the church?
Our church has a ministry where we take people out who have never been wheeling and expose them to how fun it can be. We also teach young people just learning to drive their trucks and Jeeps. So we keep tools and equipment in a 20 foot cargo container in the back parking lot of the church. The other reason is that my townhouse only has a carport. There are a couple of guys who are all doing pretty big projects from our church. living in AZ the weather is a little more conducive to working outside during the winter Our dream as a church is to someday have a full three bay shop, that we can use and do work on single moms cars as well as let local clubs come in and work together in a full blown shop.

Last edited by rockdawg84; 12-21-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM

that's pretty good. keep it up!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 PM

Well its been a couple of weeks and I finally got the 5.0 out of the Lincoln today. When I finally got all the wiring and hoses discounted the motor came out nice and easy. Now I have to strip it down and and clean it up and put new gaskets in and get it ready to go back in. More photos coming soon.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 PM

Thats just awesome with all that going on at church. I'll keep up with your engine install. Im curious on seeing how this turns out. That 5.0 will make a big differance. Are there any things you gotta do to the drivetrain, rear or such due to the big increase in HP and torque?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 AM

I'm pretty confident that the drive train will hold up. Marlin once compared the R series trans to a Muncie top-loader and that is pretty dang strong. the rear end is comparable to a small Dana 60 so it should hold. I will also try not to do any standing burnouts on pavement. Though my wife wants me to finish so I can race her in her 95 stang gt. we are a fun family

here is the Lincoln with the front cut out and the drive train missing.

drive train sitting on the ground. lots of oil and dirt but it will be clean soon with a new gasket set.

From the front next to the 3.0.

From the Back next to the 3.0

I am amazed at how close the size of these two motors are. the width is nearly identical. I love the fact that the 5.0 has headers from the factory and duel exhaust.
when you forget to drain the transmission you need the BIG bag of oil dry. Fortunately my friend Jon was quick on the job.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM

quick update. transmission is separated and the motor has been striped to the block. gonna finish cleaning it and then new bearings and rings and a new gasket set. all new hoses and vacuum lines. and then back together and soon to go in. I will post pics when I actually have something good to show you all.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do a google search for 5.0 Runner, this guy put a 5.0 engine in his 85 4Runner and there might be some information there to help you along the way.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Do a google search for 5.0 Runner, this guy put a 5.0 engine in his 85 4Runner and there might be some information there to help you along the way.
Thanks I am always looking for more info.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:12 AM

keep it coming!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Your project is simular to mine

Hey guys,

Looks like your working a simular project. I am putting a 5.0 in my 84 SR5 truck. I am a little farther along with the engine but I've currently got my hands full with fixing the rest og the truck

You will have fun with the headers as they will not clear the frame. I cut mine and rebuilt them to make them fit. I also used the bell housing from North West Offroad and it seams to work out fine. The exhaust on the drivers side does come close to the slave cylinder on my truck so I had to make up a heat shield.

I used a flywheel from a mustang as I need the smaller balance weight. Finding a 187 tooth flywheel with 52 ounce balance weight used on later model 302's is hard and expensive! I just drilled and tapped a new mounting hole in the bell housing and mounted the starter closer to the ring gear.

Here is a link to my website...The site is not yet finished but I am working on it!

If you have questions feel free to contact me via the Yotatech site or my own

www.funfactorfab.ca

5.OHO into 95 Runner-100_0692_web.jpg

Last edited by 84foyota; 02-21-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Quick update. I got my first sunburn of the year. finished disassembling the motor yesterday and everything looks pretty good. I decided to do a full rebuild and the kit is on the way so the block will go to the machinist first of the week to be tanked and honed. the crank will be polished and new pins pressed into the new pistons that are in the kit. One of the things that I found as I was tearing the motor down was a broken head bolt. looks like there was only a slight leaking into the cylinders. Once the motor is back together in can go into the Runner. Yeaaaa. Gotta get this done, Driving my fullsized 79 F250 is killing me at 9mpg and $2.85 a gallon.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rockdawg84
Quick update. I got my first sunburn of the year. finished disassembling the motor yesterday and everything looks pretty good. I decided to do a full rebuild and the kit is on the way so the block will go to the machinist first of the week to be tanked and honed. the crank will be polished and new pins pressed into the new pistons that are in the kit. One of the things that I found as I was tearing the motor down was a broken head bolt. looks like there was only a slight leaking into the cylinders. Once the motor is back together in can go into the Runner. Yeaaaa. Gotta get this done, Driving my fullsized 79 F250 is killing me at 9mpg and $2.85 a gallon.
This is an awesome swap! I have been a 5.0 fan for ages and it is super cool to see that your Church is into this kind of a ministry. Keep it up! I have thought about the same thing about having a "mechanics ministry."
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM

yo where's the updates?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The motor is funny looking with those headers Not just that one but all. Its kinda funny how such a nice motor was built with those things on it. To me they look like they would hold back a ton of power. I just think its funny.

This swap is looking good. I dont much like ford myself but I would do this swap cause its a strong and highly popular motor.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:03 PM

I agree they are funny looking but they have to flow better than manifolds I have the engine back from the machine shop and the cam installed, crank installed and 4 pistons installed right now it is like a 22r With easter this week I haven't had much time to work on it but it is coming slow but sure. I hope to get the engine together this next week. My wife who is the greatest has decreed that we have to do a SAS and a rear spring swap while the engine is out. pick the right girl the first time, that is what I always say. So Trail gear is about to get some more of my money and the plasma cutter will get fired up and it is going to be pretty complete when finished. what do you guys think 4 or 5 inch springs? I have 5's on my crawler and it would be pretty tall to drive daily.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM

If you need any help figuring out the EFI,
www.fordfuelinjection.com
has loads of info, as does
www.classicbroncos.com

the efi 5.0 is easy to hook up.
I swapped on in my 74 Bronco, only 5 wires to hook up.

Quick Reply: 5.OHO into 95 Runner