Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Spaceycayce's SAS

Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spaceycayce's SAS

Well I got a few pictures of the swap. I will go take some more as it progresses.

This one is blury because I used the flash to get the shock mount.

The front end chopped and hung

The rear end chopped and prepped:

The full 4runner shot

It has progressed some since these, I will get more shots as it is finished up. Also, the truck is dirty and it will be cleaned before its all done. See my sig for stats. We have the rear hung now and the front axle is fully built and all that dirt and grime is cleaned off now.

Last edited by spaceycayce; 01-13-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
cant wait to see it finished
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 PM

what year axle are you using? what is the width of the front end compared to the rear? oh yea, be careful about how your sound system is wired. when i would park and turn the car off without turning off the sound system first...during those periods the system would suck energy from the battery...mine drained my yellow top dry as hell....quick. i have jl equipment and 2 amps....watch out.

let me know if you run into any problems or need some direction with any innovative ideas you come up with.

good luck....and be sure to put your springs on the right way lol. my rears have been on backwards since 04.....military wrap in the front and NO LIFT BLOCKS!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Sponsor

what front hanger is that? is it home made? it doesnt look that strong.

glad to see another SASed 2nd gen here! there are becoming quite a few of us!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:16 AM

Cant speak for the front, but the 56" leaf swap was the best mod I did on my 95 runner...

Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Last edited by sschaefer3; 01-16-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

I'm having a local shop do it for me. He's done quite a few swaps on Toyota's and other IFS systems. I'm getting a good deal on labor and a buncha stuff thrown in.
A. The front hanger is the Trail gear that has a piece of steel put in the gap. Then it still needs the gussets as mentioned and a few other reinforcements. He should be finishing the welds on the front today/tommorrow. The rear is hung in line and needs to be cleaned up a little that will be done early this week.
B. The Front and Rear housing are 85's IIRC. I am using the 4cy third in the front and it was finished and painted yesterday. It took me 3 hours to clean the 20 years of dirt,mud, and grease off the outside of the housing. I took almost 12 cans of brake cleaner to clean the inside of the housing. It had never been opened before. The axle looks great now. Today he is finishing the axle and knuckles and should be finishing the front end. The reason he rebuilds the axle last is that he feels it puts less stress and weight on the front end. Also, I will eventually replace the birfs.
C. I'm using the 85 rear housing b/c I got the these for cheaper than the replacement axle would have cost at the junkyard. I need to use the 3rd from the '95 rear(it is b.c I have auto and the rear 3rd was for a manual). The new gears should be here tommorrow and he will start that. I am using this housing b/c mine is completely ruined and cannot be fixed. It has a nice hole in it. He made sure everything would fit before we went through with it and it was also found out that the rear drums from the 95 to fit in the 85 axle as well. The rear will be done early this week.
D. The driveshaft will be the 12" from TG as well and I will have that built later this week. The bumpers will be done then as well.
E. Oh the stereo is fine. I run it on the stock battery now and have had this system for about 1 year now.

I'll go in tommorrow and snap some more, then I got school starting Tuesday and probably will go play with it again Friday(hopefully drive it home).
Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM

I would see about getting a newer, 86+, axle.. they are the correct width for your truck, so you wont need spacers...

Last edited by AH64ID; 01-14-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:49 PM

NICE! Gotta love the 2nd Gen 4Runners. They are my fav trucks.

I remember when my truck was going through that stage in it's life.

Now it's losing it's rearend, getting FZJ80 axles and 40" Iroks.

Last edited by yotaman; 01-14-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Gotta love gold....

Looks good...looks like mine
Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy, what shop is doing the SAS? I would like to see it when it's done. Just let me know when you want to lube your speedo cable. Any new pics of the SAS?

Robb
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, looks good...so when are we ABQ guys gonna wheel?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:11 PM

C. I'm using the 85 rear housing b/c I got the these for cheaper than the replacement axle would have cost at the junkyard. I need to use the 3rd from the '95 rear(it is b.c I have auto and the rear 3rd was for a manual). The new gears should be here tommorrow and he will start that. I am using this housing b/c mine is completely ruined and cannot be fixed. It has a nice hole in it. He made sure everything would fit before we went through with it and it was also found out that the rear drums from the 95 to fit in the 85 axle as well. The rear will be done early this week.
what do you mean you cant use the 85 third? You just said that you bought gears anyway so it wouldnt even matter cause you would be regearing them anyway. Plus you are gonna have to use spacers on a 85 housing. How in the hell do you get a hole in a housing anyway? I might see it possible to put a hole in the center section but there is no reason why you couldnt patch it and if your up to it do a shave at the same time. It would be alot cheaper than a new housing.

As for the build it looks good. Did your guy put beads down on the hanger befor he got it down on the ground? How is he gonna check that the shackle angle is good? I am familiar with the trail gear kit and if your running a v6 the hanger shouldnt be be flush with the fram especialy if tthey are 4 or 5 inch springs.

Taken from trailgears instal instructions:

The front spring hanger can be installed flush with the front of the frame or offset up to 3/4" forward of the front of the frame. depending on the desired shackle angle. With 4" and 5" springs we recommend offsetting the front hanger 3/4" forward of the front of the frame. With 3" springs we recommend installing the front hanger flush with the front frame crossmember.

Center the hanger left to right on the frame. Hold hanger in place with C-clamp (see photo) and tack weld hanger in place. Do not finish weld front hanger until after you have placed the entire weight of the truck on the springs and verified your shackle angle. Shackles should be just a little back of vertical during this test. Later the springs will break in and shackles should be about 20 back.

Last edited by neilan; 01-15-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

As far as the front goes that's a good question I don't know I'll ask him when I go back.
On the rear manual 3rd there is no speedo sensor whereas on an automatic there is. Sorry if i was unclear. As to the carnage the rear bracket from my superlift kit ripped an unrepairable hole in the housing and a cracked it as well from the stress. I also broke a control arm, a bolt on it, 2 brackets in the front kit. He said it was a wonder the truck was still moving. Ahh Toyota's. I went to several places and was told that the rear housing was unrepairable. At that point I came across a great deal on both the 85 front and rear. I called a few Junkyards and they wanted more than what both would have cost me.

The shop I went to was recommended by a few other shops in town. He's done quite a few SAC's including a few Tacomas, P/U's, 2nd Gens. etc. He's an authorized Trail-Gear dealer.
NMToy and ABQJim, I'm up for it once I get my rig done. I'll get more pics, etc. once I get time to go by the shop. I start school full time and will be occupied with that for most of the week. If you all want to visit his shop I'll give you directions once we get it closer to being done.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 AM

The sensor in the rear on the axle is for ABS, and since you wont have a wheel speed sensor at the front axle you dont need to worry about the rear. But the v6 gears are better to have anyhow.

Yeah I would have him check the hanger again... needs to be foreword so you get the best firewall clearance and supports the V6 wieght, flush is for 4cyl models...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like its coming along.

What kind of deal did you get on this conversion, price wise?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

A. the Front is fine. It's been adjusted.
B. I got a great price on it but I can't give exact amounts. I paid for parts and a little labor.
C. the front is now about 90-95% done. The rear has about 70-75%left. Today he was bending tube for the sliders/bumpers. I'll post more pics later once I get them onto the computer.
D. Wow my school semester is going to be busy.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

OK update.
Its comming along slowly but surely. The front end is about 95-99% done. (finish the welds/gussets, high steering and driveshaft). The rear axle needs to be finished. We are somehow missing some bearings. I'd say its close to 80% done. So I will find out more when I go back later this week. The sliders are done. That leaves the front and rear bumper, major super tune-up, and tweaks. I will post more pics once we get more of it finished. The tires came in this afternoon. I will be getting them back most likely Friday since I got school all day tomorrow.
Oh I'm glad i've done what I have to the front as well(it was offset right and we are also going to add more "beef" to it.) Check this this link out. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57177
His hanger came off. They had to fab some extra gussets.

Last edited by spaceycayce; 01-24-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

More Pics: Well It's almost done, hopefully by my birthday. He's gotta have it done for Chili Challenge and that's then. There are a few minor tweaks with the front and rear. We still need to do the rear shocks, finish the front bumper/winch mount, rear bumper, sliders, a few other small tweaks. it seems that we will have to use spacers too,
Here are a few shots of the longs before the build, the rear and it on all 4's. Again we still have a few things left to finish on it. I will get more pics as I can. It's snowing so I may not clean it tomorrow like I planned.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have shims welded to the spring perches up front?

Looks good....

You should do the 4crawler mod to your LPSV rod

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspe...ortioningValve

Last edited by Marc P; 02-13-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spaceycayce's SAS