Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

CURRENT SAS kit options

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CURRENT SAS kit options

Yes, I'm back with another SAS inquiry:

Ive had it with squealing UCA bushings...I want my solidrich axare le in.

Im currently still saving, however I still be making some good money off of the sale of a quad which will position me for buying the critical IFS eliminator kit.

I've found many a forum heatedly bashing the (complete and less expensive) Trail Gear kit. These posts, that the consensus of points the reader in the direction of the Marlin kit.

While fruitlessly searching for someone who carries the Marlin kit...I stumbled upon the Dave'z kit which appears very similar to the TG kit.

===========

Now I'm in the middle of "what is wheeling?" New England with few offroading buddies with more technical and fabrication experience than mine. I'm rather low on that totem pole myself but consider myself competent enough to get the job done...eventually.

I have one shot at this and I want to do it properly. It appears the Marlin kit is no longer available and the TG kit (of chinese walmart construction copied from marlin?) stands alone.

What are my options as of March 2014? Most of these related threads date back to '06!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Check out the All-Pro kit. Much higher quality than TG.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
I'm running the TG kit and have had ZERO problems with it. The only thing I saw that I didn't like was the China wheel and trunion bearings. So far they are holding up fine.

If you threw a TG kit out on the garage floor with any other kits, I doubt I could tell which was which.

I have "HEARD" TG springs suck and sag out in just a couple wheeling trips. I have beat the hell out of mine. I have a super heavy winch and bumper AND a 3.4 swap and they still seem a little high to me. Taking forever to settle down. I do use bump stops to keep my springs from going inverted so maybe this saved my springs?

I also "HEARD" their TRE's wear out fast. So far so good. The only complaint I have about my High Steer is their instructions say you don't "HAVE" to move your steering box forward.

Well I did have to move it because my drag link ended up directly on top of my tie rod and would have maybe hit when the suspension compressed far enough.

I have zero death wobble and can let go of my steering wheel going 80 mph down the freeway. Flexes great off road.

The one thing I "HEARD" that did come true was the front shackle bushings not lasting. I found the problem to be my shackle bolts coming loose. Red lock-tite didn't even fix it.

I solved this problem by smoothing the sharp edges on the shackle tubes so it wouldn't cut the flanges off the bushings if they got loose.

Also added some thin fender washers between the shackle spacers and the bushings. The spacers are smaller diameter than the bushing flanges and were "cookie cutting" the flanges off the bushings. The fender washers are the same size as the bushing flanges and protect them from cutting.

I also took a 4crawler idea and welded square stock on the shackle plate against the flat of the shackle bolt to keep it from turning and coming loose. This helped a lot but I still ended up drilling the nut to pin it on. This fixed the bushing eating problem.

I would have went with Davez no death wobble shackles if this hadn't have worked. Sleeved bushings seem to hold up better I think.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Ordering another TG IFS Eliminator kit today for my kids truck. He is also upgrading the inner axles seals, trunion ball wiper seals, knuckle studs, spindle stud kit, and their new cromo spindle nuts.

Going with the 30 spline cromo axle kit too. Mine hasn't failed yet and he's just trying to get the most for his money.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Get the TG kit, its easy and has pretty much everything youll need.

Or build your own kit. There are alot of toyota wheelers in your area (Southern New England, check out Toyotacrawlers.com) and you might be able to piece together a kit locally that works better for your needs.

There is plenty of great NE wheeling out there, just need to know where to look.

[youtube]WFNx3CkBbvo[/youtube]

[youtube]QrldeaUJp2E[/youtube]

Last edited by rattlewagon; 03-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:29 PM

I purchased the trail gear ifs eliminator and haven't had any problems with it so far, and was easy to do had everything there
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 PM

I have the tg 3 inch kit on my 88. i love it. not a single problem. just run it without shocks for a few weeks to let the springs break in. The only thing i did was used marlin crawler wheel bearings. everything else is tg. also, my drag link ended up directly above the tie rod. i thought i was gonna have to move steering box forward to fix this, but when flexing, the side that is compressed will move backwards, so the drag link actually clears the tie rod
Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 PM

LINK it!!! and never look back.

4wheelunderground.com