Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Washington State trail info.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington State trail info.

A friend just e-mailed me with some info about forest road 70.
Here is the info:

Greenwater Road #70 Slated for Temporary Closure in July 2002
Beginning July 8, 2002, Greenwater Road #70 will be closed at Milepost 10 for approximately two months.
Road #70, located on the southern portion of the Snoqualmie Ranger District in Pierce County, follows the Greenwater drainage up to Government Meadows, a popular trail access point for the Pacific Crest Trail and the Naches Off-Road Vehicle Trail.

According to Rudy Edwards, District Ranger for the Snoqualmie Ranger District, "We are closing the road so that we can replace an existing culvert with a new structure that will accommodate fish passage. This is a cooperative project, with the US Fish & Wildlife Service, the National Marine Fisheries Service, and the Washington State Fish & Wildlife Department, that is designed to improve fish habitat."

Edwards added that this temporary closure will not affect areas in the Greenwater drainage below Milepost 10 that are heavily used for dispersed recreation. The closure will also not impact the Greenwater Trailhead, which is heavily used by both hikers and equestrians to access Greenwater and Echo Lakes in the Norse Peak Wilderness.

:pat:
Old 06-03-2002, 01:27 PM

More Washington state trail info...

I've got some bad news on the topic of closures, heard from the 4x4NW list that the Shaw trail has been closed as of today for logging. It's been gated and paved, sounds permanent.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:52 AM

Bummer.

I had a realy good time on the Shaw trail. I was planning on getting some of my freinds together this summer and camping up at the top. Sounds like we're running out of trail like California is.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Just got off the tele with the White River Ranger district that handles the Greenwater area.
They hope to keep it at two months at the longest.

Plenty of campin' & wheelin' below the 10 mile marker though.
By the time they open it back up, the Naches will be nice & dry and fit for perhaps a run.
I was hoping to try out some of the other Naches trail though that is up there, but will have to wait.

PS, messin' around with my sig colors
Old 06-04-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: Bummer.

Originally posted by Baja-Billy
I had a realy good time on the Shaw trail. I was planning on getting some of my freinds together this summer and camping up at the top. Sounds like we're running out of trail like California is.
Yes, we are. We lost the Miller River trail a couple years ago, that was a fun one too.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:11 PM

That sucks. Yeah, I had a great time on that trail too.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:51 PM

Speaking of having fun.... Whens the next run? I'm free after the fourth of July weekend. Maybe make a camping trip out of it. I can have three to four rigs together with a couple weeks notice.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:39 PM

Gawd, I haven't been out since that snow run many moons ago. :rolleyes: I'm dying to get out and play.

.......still got that damned blown cv boot too. must......do.......swap...........soon............ ......
Old 06-05-2002, 07:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

There is a planned event coming up June 15th with the WA. state chaptor of TTORA.

Here is more info.
I am going to try and make it too it as I told the president I would try and help out with some of the demos.

This event is open to all vehicles. WA. TTORA is not an exclusive Taco only club.
Here is the sign up page.

Corey
PS, I think I will make this a seperate post too.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:38 AM

Speaking of TTORA, I was looking at their site last night and noticed that one of the grad students here is a member. I have to go bug him about it now...
Old 07-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

From FS web site...

For Immediate Release
Updated: June 25, 2002
Contacts: Ron DeHart, 425-744-3573
Donnie Maks, 360-825-6585

Greenwater Road #70 Temporary Closure Deferred
The planned summer closure of U.S. Forest Service Road #70 has been deferred until the 2003 summer season. The road, sometimes called the Greenwater Road in Pierce County, had been scheduled for temporary closure July 8, but will remain open through the summer and fall high public-use period.

For further information, contact Donnie Maks at 360-825-6585.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:58 PM

According to the USFS they didn't get all the permits pushed thru for the colvert work, so one more year, unless you wanna drive over chinook, run the wagon trail both ways and then back over chinook,lol..
Old 07-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I just looked at 426Rider's pics over on Snort, and man, they brought back memories of that wagon trail.

Very nice pics. Don't think I'd want to run the trail alone, as I got stuck a few times when I ran it.

Some parts were pretty easy although they were off camber.
A few places I had about an inch on each side of the mirrors.
My DD was shakin' in it's treads

I see some guy's are headed for the moon rocks. I take it they have to go over Chinook to get to them, or are they taking the Naches from off of FS 70?
Corey
Old 07-15-2002, 09:29 PM

If the gates are open on FS70, than thats a good route, but I have found in the past to hit them, I take I90, and take manashtash river road (heads into buck medows) and take a side road, unload the rig and head up, can get there in about 3.5 hours from my house
Old 08-03-2002, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: More Washington state trail info...

Originally posted by Shane
I've got some bad news on the topic of closures, heard from the 4x4NW list that the Shaw trail has been closed as of today for logging. It's been gated and paved, sounds permanent.

Well, I dont do too much off roading with my 98 Tacoma TRD "Off Road Package":eek: but I do a lot of ATVing and dirt bike riding, this is a real threat to anyone who uses public lands, either locally owned, ie state or fedeally owned, so I joing the "Blue Ribbon Coalition It is an orginization everyone in here should consider, I now way work for them, just trying to spread the word, politicians buckle from associations and orginazations with lots of members, stength in numbers. A story regarding the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, 7 employees, 5 on the federal payroll, and 2 on the state of Washington payroll had planted canadian lynx hairs on a rubbing post, the idea was to shut down the woods everywhere, would of gotten away with it, but the DNA showed it was an animal in captivity, of course, when caught, they said they were testing the integrity of the system, but you can bet, if the DNA wasnt there, I would not be able to ride there anymore, its also my hunting grounds, these employees should of been terminated, they are all still employeed! Once an area is closed down, getting it open again is about impossible.