Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Return from Reiter Pit/Lake Isabel

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return from Reiter Pit/Lake Isabel

In attendance, Myself, JRuz (Jim), DeathCougar (Josh), Jim - username unknown, and a Jeep buddy of Josh's.

We've got tons of video, pictures and a GPS trace from the trip that will be trickling in over the next few days, but I thought I would post that we got home safely.

Josh, JRuz, the Heep and myself met up at the KFC in Monroe, Jim joined us at Reiter Pit. After airing down at the pit, we headed up the Lake Isabel trail. After playing for while along the power line trails, we headed the rest of the way up the Lake Isabel trail and turned around at the log bridge where the trail becomes a class 4+.

Josh had a rough day of it, losing his front bumper and valance to a stump under the powerlines, a lot of paint off his pinch weld, a mudflap and in one of the most freakish off-road accidents I have ever seen, an attack stick got kicked up by his left rear tire, wedged itself between his rear bumper and the area under his tail light, levered itself off the ground and DESTROYED the area under his left tail light. Tough luck Josh!

The rest of us got off with a bit of Cascade pinstriping and some wood wedged in the beads of various tires.

Last edited by WATRD; 02-16-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:26 PM

Sounds like you guys had a great time except for Josh's luck. Lookin' forward to the pics.

Salue
Old 02-16-2003, 02:26 PM

Hey Rob,
Can't wait to check out the pics.
I was hoping on making one of the runs this weekend. Had to bag both.

Fridge went on the brink and had to buy a new one. Tore down one of the cabinets to make it all fit and fabbed a new panel to make it look all nice for the wife. Boy they don't cabinets like they used to. I had to take a sawzall to it.
Gotta keep her happy to keep the mods coming right.

Looking forward to next week.

Later
Filipino House Boy
Old 02-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

It's a pretty crazy trail these days... Some of the areas I remembered have gotten worse. I think that a rear locked rig with at least 3" of lift and sliders could do it without too much pain, but if you are missing any of those things, you are going to feel it. I used every inch of flex I had and both lockers and still found myself wishing for more. There's a few tight spots where the 4Runner's with roof racks would have to turn around too.

I would say that going into this one you should EXPECT at least a little body damage and then be pleasantly suprised if you get away without any.

The reports I am getting back from the Capitol run today are not promising, so we might have to find another option for next weekend... perhaps a play day in and around Reiter Pit...
Old 02-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Where are the pics Rob?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

I am writing nag mails to the people with cameras now... I only took a couple since I was behind the wheel all day, so I am at the mercy of those who had more hands free

Hopefully they will start to trickle in today
Old 02-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Pictures are up!

Okay then... thank you for waiting patiently...

Photos from this weekend's trip up the Lake Isabel trail are at;

http://www.watrd.com/20030215/

Let me know what you think
Old 02-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice pics Rob.
Hey, as soon as I stated to look at them, I reconized the blue truck with the snorkel on it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5818

He's a member over on the Snort board, and I had enquired about his rear bumper a few weeks back.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, that is Jim. He said that you told him we would be up there and asked to join in when we pulled in at Reiter.

He was great to wheel with. I felt very comfortable with him spotting for me almost right away. There are some folks I have known for years who I STILL don't trust to spot for me... Jim definately goes down in my "good people" list.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:30 PM

Those are some nice pics, I was looking for the aftermath from the attack stick on Josh's 4runner.

Salue
Old 02-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Rob, why is someone lying down underneath your truck?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Salue
Those are some nice pics, I was looking for the aftermath from the attack stick on Josh's 4runner.

Salue
We didn't really get a good shot of the aftermath of the attack stick, but if you look at THIS SHOT, right above the guys hands you can see a lot of silver where the paint used to be...
Old 02-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tomus1000
Hey Rob, why is someone lying down underneath your truck?
That would be me, taking a break Actually, it IS me, but I am disconnecting my sway bar for the run If you look really close, you can see my socket set open on the tailgate.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:06 AM

Awesome pics, Rob. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing them. Thx for sharing.

Al
Old 02-18-2003, 06:11 AM

Talking

Good pics!! Looks like a pretty difficult trail, could we do aTTORA run up there?

Greg
Old 02-18-2003, 07:16 AM

Had a great time wheeling with everyone. Rob, the feeling is mutual, I had a great time wheeling with you. It is nice to wheel with people who know what a tree saver is, what a recovery strap is, and also see the value in picking other's trash in order to keep the trails open.

Rob, your truck is awesome. I felt like I was wheeling with an off-road “James Bond”.

Thanks Jim
Old 02-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Awesome pics, Rob. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing them. Thx for sharing.

Al
My pleasure. I am glad that you enjoyed them.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gbost
Good pics!! Looks like a pretty difficult trail, could we do aTTORA run up there?

Greg
I am thinking yes, but we would need to limit the number of rigs, there's not many places to turn around. I also think we would need to enforce a 3+" of lift, rear locker requirement or we would spend all day just trying to get people over some of the obstacles.

I may combine it with a Reiter Pit playday late this Spring where folks can play in the pit and the more hardcore can give that one a shot.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 88Toy
Had a great time wheeling with everyone. Rob, the feeling is mutual, I had a great time wheeling with you. It is nice to wheel with people who know what a tree saver is, what a recovery strap is, and also see the value in picking other's trash in order to keep the trails open.

Rob, your truck is awesome. I felt like I was wheeling with an off-road “James Bond”.

Thanks Jim
hahhahah ...and I didn't even get to pull out HALF of my gadgets. I did however come down with nearly a case worth of empty beer cans that someone(s) had pitched out along the trail.

So, where are we going next?

It looks like we are going to tank our chapter run to the Capital forest this Saturday, in favor of a snow run to Tonga ridge. Wanna come along since we will be in your neighborhood?
Old 03-18-2003, 06:27 PM

I have finally pieced together the video of this trip. It's about 32mb, I can try and scale it down if there are any modem-users here.

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to host it, as the most storage space on the web I have is 10mb.

I'll figure out something soon....

Jim

Quick Reply: Return from Reiter Pit/Lake Isabel