Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Pipe Bomb on Trail Gate in Oregon!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pipe Bomb on Trail Gate in Oregon!!

This is scarry as all heck. Information from the BLM on a pipe bomb that was found at a gate. We have gotten more details. It was an 8-inch long, 2-inch diameter heavy-schedule PVC pipe. It was attached to a Swanson gate in Douglas County. When the bomb squad sprayed it with a water canon, it exploded. It had a mercury switch inside that denotated with movement.

In addition, a small, gunpowder-filled bomb with a fuse was found in Clackamas County. It was made out of PVC also, with two caps threaded onto a double-ended female connector.

Pirate thread.

Clicky, look for 1:18 PM

This is a real threat. Some whackos out there are willing to commit murder because they want trails closed. This happened in Oregon but it won't be long till the idea catches on with Eco-Terrorists all around the world.

If you see anything suspicious. DON'T TOUCH IT!!! Call the Police or Sheriff. Pass it on.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

aw man, thatssome nasty stuff!
Old 05-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Just what we need up here in the Pacific Northwest. It's a good thing the gas prices have killed any of my would be plans for wheeling. My rig is parked unless I need it to go to work. These ecoterrorists are starting to look like the KKK of sorts IMO. Ben
Old 05-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Jesus, that makes me sick to the stomache.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:04 PM

wow... that is just uncalled for.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:20 PM

On the MapQuest map this area where the bomb was found seems to be a rural road. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&addtohistory=
Old 05-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Banned

If any of you from the NW see any news coverage of this crap please post up. I'm not finding anything. This is serious poop and so far it seems the local media is sweeping it under the carpet.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 PM

That's got ELF written all over it, they do this psycho crap all the time. They put the mental in environmental.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

how do you know it was an eco-terrorist .. and not joe shmoe, who made something that he thought would be cool .. or to get attention
Old 05-11-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
how do you know it was an eco-terrorist .. and not joe shmoe, who made something that he thought would be cool .. or to get attention
Either way it's still seriously F-ed up. Does anybody remember hearing about those greenies hammering steel spikes into trees so when loggers would saw into them thier chainsaws would kick back and break often causing injury? Who would have thought hippies could be so dangerous?
Old 05-11-2004, 05:39 PM

Well if you zoom all the way in on the street that the police report says this happened on you will notice there are two "streets" at each end of the "subject" street. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&addtohistory= I dont see how this happened on a trail at all. And why in central Oregon? Why not Moab, Rainier Nat. Park, or somewhere it would be noticed by all. This sounds like the work of a computer nerd that got bored and learned way to much on the net on how to build a pipe bomb with a Mercury switch ignition source. IMO Elf strikes larger targets over unknown trail entrances is towns none of us have ever heard of.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Who would have thought hippies could be so dangerous?
Ive known hippies to be very dangerous for a long time.

Last year in biology we had to watch a video about the hippies spiking trees and wanting the logging stopped up here in WA. There was this one dude who sat in a tree for like 2 weeks! What the hell! how can somebody be that unproductive? I was yelling about how those "DAMN HIPPIES" needed to get jobs and be a productive member of society. My teacher thought it was really funny. OH and then at the end of the movie they interviewed some useless tree huggers, they were dancing around waving WOODEN signs, playing a WOODEN guitar, and in the middle of their circle was a WOOD burning fire! Stop complaining and get a job ya stupid hippies!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by terky
they were dancing around waving WOODEN signs, playing a WOODEN guitar, and in the middle of their circle was a WOOD burning fire!
That's funny. I hate hippies and fortunately there aren't too many down here in Nevada. But I hear you guys up in WA have quite an infestation. I've heard that at a lot of those protests that go on in Seattle half of the hippies show up not even knowing what they are protesting that week! - until a fellow burn out hands them a sign. Ridiculous!

Last edited by ChickenLover; 05-11-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
Well if you zoom all the way in on the street that the police report says this happened on you will notice there are two "streets" at each end of the "subject" street. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&addtohistory= I dont see how this happened on a trail at all. And why in central Oregon? Why not Moab, Rainier Nat. Park, or somewhere it would be noticed by all. This sounds like the work of a computer nerd that got bored and learned way to much on the net on how to build a pipe bomb with a Mercury switch ignition source. IMO Elf strikes larger targets over unknown trail entrances is towns none of us have ever heard of.
It may not have been a "trail" but since the BLM is handling it I figgerd its on their territory. No one knows if its ELF or just a pissed off neighbor. In any case its an attempt to terrorize the public and send a message, "I want you dead for moving this gate."

There were two bombs found, they may or may not be related. The fact that there were two is very suspicious. How far is Clackamas County from Douglas County?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
That's funny. I hate hippies and fortunately there aren't too many down here in Nevada. But I hear you guys up in WA have quite an infestation. I've heard that at a lot of those protests that go on in Seattle half of the hippies show up not even knowing what they are protesting that week! - until a fellow burn out hands them a sign. Ridiculous!
Yes they suffer severly from a strange disease called "Stupid". I am all for free speach and stuff but when you start spiking trees which results in deaths to people just making a living, thats when something should be done. They also damage heavy equipment which could result in MAJOR accidents.

I thought Hippies wanted peace?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jx94148
It may not have been a "trail" but since the BLM is handling it I figgerd its on their territory. No one knows if its ELF or just a pissed off neighbor. In any case its an attempt to terrorize the public and send a message, "I want you dead for moving this gate."

There were two bombs found, they may or may not be related. The fact that there were two is very suspicious. How far is Clackamas County from Douglas County?
Douglas looks to be in SW central Or. when Clackamas is is N. central Or.. The only link these two areas have with each other is I5. It could have easily been some dick stopping in Douglas to spread terror only to stop in Clackamus County to spread more. It will come down to the facts of were the devices identical in there making. Hard to believe two dicks would get the idiotic idea to both build pipe bombs and both put them out on display the same day. Other possibilitiesinternet buddies wanting to make the news?) (tree huggers wanting to make a statement, but why in low key areas?) (Terrorist that got off of a plane at LAX and thought he was in DC but in reality was in central oregon <~~ dumba$$) there are a million ways it could have gone down. I guess all we can do is keep an eye open for news on what they find in their investigations.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:11 PM

Their has been other instances, although not with bomb's, of people (hippies) trying to protect thier "crops" in my neck of the woods, including but not limited to; trip wires, and other wires suspended at head level all designed to do some sort of bodily harm. Immagine rideing a motorcycle into one of thoes
Old 05-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

At this point no one knows if its ELF or related to drug production/harvest. Meth labs have moved to the forests. Mushroom pickers use weapons. Pot growers defend their crops with weapons. People buy woodland property and expect to get complete serenety, they get pissed if a loud truck or motorcycle lawfully travels a road near their property. Any of these types of people could have made such simple but deadly bombs to keep people away from a certain area of public land.

Forests have become very popular for meth cooks and pot growers because its much less risky and if caught, the government can't sieze property they already own. Drug producers use all manner of early warning systems and weapons to help them evade capture.

It dosen't matter who made the bomb or who put it where it was. What's important is that it was made and was intended to kill someone for entering public lands. We all need to be aware that this type of danger exists.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

I definitely have more conservative leanings, and have to put up with so much bull shi-ite here in Seattle it makes me ill. The young hippies crack me up, as most of them aren't very well informed, and are just looking to be part of "something." As a result, they're easily misguided into thinking that they're doing "the right thing." Of course, there's just the generic a-holes that look for an excuse to vandalize buildings, harm people etc.

Like Blue said, the fact that it had a mercury switch makes me think its a little too complicated for the avg. hillbilly to work on. I'll be interested in hearing what turns up.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Wow. This is really disturbing. Who ever made it and put there is no better than the terrorists in the rest of the world.

And the weirdos and freaks that live here in Seattle? I remember seeing one of their protests on TV not long ago. They ask one of the participants why he came out to protest whatever it was. His answer was "I was bored". A future politician in the making.

Quick Reply: Pipe Bomb on Trail Gate in Oregon!!