Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Hello TULSA

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Hello TULSA

So I was at the Quick Trip this evening getting ready to head back to the shack with my taquitos, root beer and Rooster Booster (don't know? don't ask...) when a nice looking white 2nd Gen 4Runner pulls up next to me.
I started to do the proper thing and introduce myself but was distracted by the front bumper, it looked sort of ARBish from the side and since I have a stock chrome piece, I got bumper envy.
And then instead of minding his own business and getting his own taquitos and root beer this guy rolls down his window and asks if I want to go wheeling?

I guess you could say there are a couple of people who DO understand, it's a Toyota thing here in Tulsa. So Yeah, I'll go wheeling. Where? When? My calendar looks like this, right now:
July - oops that's shot already
August - Tonight: sleep
Tomorrow: Church
August - 14th Audio Adrenaline Concert at the theme park in Hot Springs, AR. Hopefully by then my engagement ring will be in and I can officially propose to my girl, maybe throw in a little serinade of my own
... but, plans do change and we might end up just staying in town and saving the $$heh... don't worry I'll still treat her to a nice dinner.
August - 21 I have been roped into helping out at the women's tea party at church.
August - 28 I should be free...maybe a family thing that night but the day looks clear from here...

September: let's rock and roll...or not roll, preferably.

Anyway, Kyle, call me or post or email or whatnot when you know your schedule, and anyone else who is interested in meeting up in the next couple of months...

Last edited by Injohneer; 08-08-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would but I won't be back in Norman until Xmas (I'm stationed in Germany) but when I get back i'm game for anything....
Old 08-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wanna go see audio adrenalin :cry:

i have all their cds and saw them in springfield once
Old 08-09-2004, 09:16 AM

Oklahoma Toyotians

How many Okie Toyotians are there on here?? We need to organize a YotaTech run.

Post em up and we'll start the planning. Sometime around the middle of September????????
11th or the 18th?????
Grand Lake Dam in Disney/Langley or behind Chandler Park in Tulsa????
Old 08-09-2004, 09:27 AM

I am here in norman and might be interested in meeting up somewhere for a run
Old 08-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Norman eh? Not many good spots to wheel round there eh? Either the Canadien River or push your luck at Draper??? Draper still open? I heard it closed to all but bikes, quads, trikes. That right?

Would you have a preferance on where to wheel? Perhaps a totally different suggestion???

I've lived in Moore, Midwest City and Choctaw on that end of the t'pike so I'm pretty familiar with the area.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

I am interested, but it's going to be a bit before I can make any trips. Need tires bad, but right now all my money is being saved up for a Sept. alaska trip. Hopefully I can get some decent tires by Oct. & will be ready for some easier type stuff then, as the runner will be stock.

Glad to see an OK thread started up in this section
Old 08-09-2004, 10:38 AM

the wheeling is pretty slim around here. draper is iffy and i have already had a trespassing ticket down on the canadian river so thats out for me. I really have no preference where to wheel. I will probably be up in tulsa in the next few weeks visiting a friend so if there is something near by that may work.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:18 PM

Need tires??

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
I am interested, but it's going to be a bit before I can make any trips. Need tires bad, but right now all my money is being saved up for a Sept. alaska trip. Hopefully I can get some decent tires by Oct. & will be ready for some easier type stuff then, as the runner will be stock.

Glad to see an OK thread started up in this section
Are your satockers bald or something??

Don't worry man! We'll make sure there's terrain for everyone. From stockers to lifted w/ lockers. You'll be included.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by goatboy22382
the wheeling is pretty slim around here. draper is iffy and i have already had a trespassing ticket down on the canadian river so thats out for me. I really have no preference where to wheel. I will probably be up in tulsa in the next few weeks visiting a friend so if there is something near by that may work.
Sounds like our local stompin' grounds will be the best bet. Behind Chandler Park in Berry Hill, OK. It's only about 15 minutes from West Tulsa. Trails from mild to wild. Pick your line and push the gas. Most the harder trails have bypasses so one can choose to push their limits or go around.

Here's some pics from the place I'm talkin' bout. They are 2 years old, yesterday. Both our trucks have changed alot since then.

Last edited by Hoodlum; 08-09-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Wheeling??!! I am in!! I am in OKC, would love to join you guys too!! BUt I would not able to do anything til September since I am away now. Let me know if there is any run, I am planning to go to Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and perhaps Arizona in September. ANyone interested too?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cacattack
i wanna go see audio adrenalin :cry:

i have all their cds and saw them in springfield once
<offtopic>They rocked a few weeks ago at Spirt West Coast in Monterey!!!</offtopic>
Old 08-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hoodlum
Are your satockers bald or something??

Don't worry man! We'll make sure there's terrain for everyone. From stockers to lifted w/ lockers. You'll be included.
pics look awesome, that's just what I had in mind. Looks like the extended diff breathers will be needed too.

The tires are the only thing wrong with my new rig, they are a little sketchy. Have some tread left, but starting to crack & dry rot.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ranma21
Wheeling??!! I am in!! I am in OKC, would love to join you guys too!! BUt I would not able to do anything til September since I am away now. Let me know if there is any run, I am planning to go to Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and perhaps Arizona in September. ANyone interested too?
right on! the okie's are coming out of the woodwork. I think there are a few more lurking still, we might be able to get a decent sized group up!

I'm probably out for any out of state trips this year, and don't expect to be up for any in state till october probably, but that could change.

Last edited by tulsa_97SR5; 08-10-2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

More Okies are hiding down in OKC

hey all you OKC/Norman guys

There's a beehive of Yota dudes down in the city. I never did get to go to one of their meetings when I was down there, but they meet once a month...

MT_Goat on www.4x4wire.com lives down in Edmond town and once told me, "The trailchasers meetings are the 3rd tues of each month, unless they changed it. I enjoy the "after meetings" more than the meetings because everyone goes out to the parking lot and you can see all the mods guys have done on their trucks. You don't have to join unless you want to vote, I haven't joined yet. Maybe see you there..." but as I said, I never went.

http://www.trailchasers.com/

Appearantly they have some favorite trails.

Personally, I just moved from Guthrie up to Tulsa. I haven't found any really good spots up here, but I know a couple of small areas between Guthrie and Edmond. Tons of housing developments that are under construction, one that is probably 120 acres that is being developed VERY slowly (they put in the road 5, 6 yrs ago and haven't really touched it since). There's a swampy bottom. some hills, some steps to test clearance & AOA/AOD/(my toy can climb a 24 inch vert. step just like the hummer is supposed to). The only problem is, I'm not sure how legal it is... but it's posted as "for sale"... so I tread lightly.

And then there are a couple of county roads that I've gotten stuck on, in good weather. They simply don't grade them and the bridge/culvert is washed out....
Old 08-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up Camp Out, too

Since it looks like some OKC and Ttown guys are going to be involved... depending on where we go, some of us could be spending 3 hours each way on the road to get there. What say we look for a spot where we can camp out as well?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Injohneer
Since it looks like some OKC and Ttown guys are going to be involved... depending on where we go, some of us could be spending 3 hours each way on the road to get there. What say we look for a spot where we can camp out as well?
Well I'm interested too, but there is already some good local clubs.http://www.okoffroad.com/

Oklahoma Trail Chasers is one, here is the run schedule. OKLAHOMA TRAILCHASERS
2004 RUN SCHEDULE

January 24
Hardcore - Work day at Clayton (Rough Canyon Park) to clear and develop a new trail, Moderate - Little Sahara State Park.

February 21-22
Hardcore - Bengal/Yanush. , Moderate - Bengal / Clayton (busline, surveyline)

March 20
Hardcore - Talihina , Moderate - Camp Gruber, OK.

April 3
Hardcore - Disney, OK. , Moderate - Disney, OK.

April 24
Hardcore - Green Acres/Clayton area , Moderate- TBD at March meeting

May 1 - 2
Kansas Rocks off road park.

May 29 - 31 ( Memorial Day weekend)
Hardcore - Talihina / Yanush. , Moderate - Talihina / Crumb creek.

June 12
Annual Trailchaser Fun Run.

June 19
Hardcore - Heavener, OK. , Moderate - Heavener, OK.

July 24
Hardcore and Moderate - Clayton, OK.

July 25
Hardcore - Frielings.

August 14
Hardcore and Moderate - Disney, OK

August 21
River run from Newcastle to Hinton.

September 4 - 6 (Labor Day Weekend)
Hardcore - Heavener / Cavanal Hill. , Moderate - To Be Discussed / Cavanal Hill

September 18
Trailchasers annual 4x4 Show

September 25
Superlift Off Road Park, Hot Springs, AR.

October 10 - 16
Tellico, NC.

October 23
Hardcore - Talihina, Moderate - Kinta

November 20
Hardcore - Cavanal Hill. , Moderate - Freilings

December 4
Trailchasers Annual Christmas Party

December 31 - January 1
Trailchasers Annual New years Day Run.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-10-2004 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:04 AM

I've ran a few times with the Trail Chasers years ago. They seem to try and schedule runs about every 2-3 weeks. Some of em really wheel thier junk too!

So this is their schedule that's still coming up...

August 14
Hardcore and Moderate - Disney, OK

That's this weekend!!! School starts thursday so I'm sure the wife will have me to busy to make the trip. It's about an hour or so outside Tulsa. I may just load up my 9 year old and go. I'll have to check what Momma has cookin'.
This is one of my favorite places. Something for everyone and it's relatively close. Even the stockers with street tires have plenty to do out there. Plenty they can't do too. I just went there 3 weeks ago to help set up course for the Womens Regional Rockcrawling Championships. It was put on by Hogan's Offroad Park (Russell Hogan) & Tulsa 4 wheelers. I took pics and tried to post em to my new site but some how only about half of em loaded. If you wanna see the ones that actually loaded (you know, to see the terrrain) go here.

August 21
River run from Newcastle to Hinton.

Not much for runnin' the river myself. I'll pass on river runs.

September 4 - 6 (Labor Day Weekend)
Hardcore - Heavener / Cavanal Hill. , Moderate - To Be Discussed / Cavanal Hill

Never been, sounds fun. Doubt I can make it on Labor Day though. Usually have family plans.

September 18
Trailchasers annual 4x4 Show

Show????? Interesting. Where?

September 25
Superlift Off Road Park, Hot Springs, AR.

Wheeled there several times. Always a blast! Simular to Clayton, Poteau, or Cass, Ar.

October 10 - 16
Tellico, NC.

As a matter of fact, I'm wearing my June 14th, 15th, & 16th 2002 Tellico shirt today .

October 23
Hardcore - Talihina, Moderate - Kinta

Never been, sounds fun.

November 20
Hardcore - Cavanal Hill. , Moderate - Freilings

Have got to check this place out sometime!

December 4
Trailchasers Annual Christmas Party

Did you say PARTY?

December 31 - January 1
Trailchasers Annual New years Day Run.

TBA I guess.

As far as a YotaTech run...

If we wanna make it a weekend thing and peeps wanna camp, Disney is probably the best place then. Russell Hogan owns Hogan's Off Road Park and it's pretty much a camp ground with direct access to the trails/rocks. Has power at the sites and showers available. Also has a work area he lets his customers use. Electric hoist, stick welders, cuttin' torch, tools galore, air, nuts & bolts....basically anything you need to fix what broke.

If we just wanna make just a day out of it, behind Chandler Park in Tulsa in probably our best bet. From mild to wild (not quite as wild as Disney) with bypasses most places.

The reason I suggest these 2 places is that I am familiar with em. So is Sloth, my wheelin' bud (guy with SAS'd 98 Tacoma). We usually pick these places for the OKTTORA runs. I'm open to different places but these are the best options that I know of for having such a diversely built group of rigs all together. Plus, having someone that's familiar with the trails is always nice.

Last edited by Hoodlum; 08-16-2004 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Are these open all the time

Originally Posted by Hoodlum
As far as a YotaTech run...

If we wanna make it a weekend thing and peeps wanna camp, Disney is probably the best place then. Russell Hogan owns Hogan's Off Road Park and it's pretty much a camp ground with direct access to the trails/rocks. Has power at the sites and showers available. Also has a work area he lets his customers use. Electric hoist, stick welders, cuttin' torch, tools galore, air, nuts & bolts....basically anything you need to fix what broke.

If we just wanna make just a day out of it, behind Chandler Park in Tulsa in probably our best bet. From mild to wild (not quite as wild as Disney) with bypasses most places.
What's the difficulty of getting into either of these places? First come, first serve? Reservations? $$?

With this information we can make a poll and see where everyone wants to go.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:13 AM

Either place has plenty of room.

Hogans Off Road Park can probably accomadate a couple hundred rigs at campsites. I've seen it full before but only during major events. Even full, Russell will find or make another site for ya. If that's the case, the site won't have any power hook ups but hey, that's campin'.
I believe he charges $7 a day (at least that's what he charges during lasts years Rock Ralley) for tent campers and slightly more for RV campers. Showers come with the site as it's kinda community bathrooms if you know what I mean. They have a Womens and a Mens bathroom. The mens room has 2 sinks, 2 pissers, 2 toilets, and 2 showers. I'm assuming the womens room has 2 sinks, 4 toilets and 2 showers but I've never been in there.

Back behind Chandler Park is big enough that we won't have any problems getting in. (This is Sams Offroad local proving grounds) It's just woods and trails. There's several ways in/out. Some of the ways in are blocked from time to time by the peeps that live surrounding the area but we'll stay away from the housing editions and probably enter at the water plant gate along Avery Drive.

If we're gonna POLL this, let's poll the date also. I have 2 kids and I need to plan on the run to make sure I can attend. Too many things come up here and there when you have kids. If we set a definate date, I'll be able to make it.

Quick Reply: Hello TULSA