Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Good 4Wheel paths/Trails in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good 4Wheel paths/Trails in AZ

New to post, and my ride is a 1990 4Runner with 3.0 V6 5-Speed 4WD, and is pretty much stock performance wise, but i have 4 Hella lights on top, and a bar on front with 2 cheap lights.
I was wondering if anyone here rode in the Phoenix area, and knew of some good places to run a completly stock 4Runner, and I'm not really experienced with offroading. I know how to, but just never do, and wanting to start.

Let me know where you think would be a good start for me. I'll try to get pics of my ride up tomorrow, the one on my avatar is not what it looks like now.

thx
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 AM

There are quite a few people from the PHX area on here.

For info on trails, locations and descriptions I would pick up Charles Wells book on 4wheeling in Arizona.

Some good trails to start with would be Coke Ovens and Box Canyon which are down south towards Florence. Crown King, Reno Pass/El Oso are great trails as well for stock vehicles. Table Mesa road off I-17 has some good trails for stock vehicles both on the east and west side of the highway, the best being I-17 east to Seven Springs, but if you take Table Mesa west to Tip Top Mine across the Agua Fria there are some good trails as well. Then if you want alittle more of a challenge give Sunflower Mine a shot. If you google these trails many times you can find directions.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Great recommendations!

As with most trails in AZ, the trails listed above are very remote. Unless you are a very experianced and well prepared wheeler, I would not recommend attempting them on your own. Get the book above, post up a trip for stockers and see if you can get a group to go! The Lake Pleasant to Crown King run is pretty rough on bone stock rigs, but it's doable. We got a TRD PreRunner thru with a few "gentle" tugs.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=crown+king

FYI, the LP/CK trail is technicaly closed by the Forest Service to non 4x4 vehicles. When we left for the run I asked if every one had a rear locker, and by the time it got rough enough to need 4x4, it was to late for him to turn around...

A good solo day trip is from Bumble Bee exit off I-17 to Crown King, then on out Senator Highway (FS 52) to Prescott. Once we get snow, it's a bit tough, but until then it's an easy scenic drive. The Table Mesa east to Seven Springs is also doable as a solo trip...

Last edited by crawler#976; 01-04-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Crawler, good point on recommending at least a second vehicle to tag along, also I should mention having a good map is almost a necessity if you are unfamiliar with the area, and even more useful than a GPS in some respects. The Delorme atlas is fairly good, but for even more detail I would recommend picking up some National Forest maps in the areas you may be wheeling such as Tonto and Coconino Forests. A very good book with LOTS of very informative info on AZ trails is called Backcountry Adventures: Arizona.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...lance&n=283155
I own both the Wells book and this Backcountry book and they both have great info, the Wells being better for the more avid 4wheeler looking for more difficult trails, the Backcountry book offering more history, maps and lots of trails focused more so on stock to moderate 4wheeling. Have fun...plan a trip or two, there's always people looking to get out with others and enjoy the trails.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

I would recommend visiting www.azttora.com and registering at the forum. The guys from the valley are always doing runs, and many of the runs are good for introductory 4wd technique. Plus, you will have good support and guidance if you just ask. You are also welcome to join the club (no fees) and then you will get emails for any of the "official" club runs and events. There aren't many official runs though, most are informal. You should definitely try to plan to attend AZROCKS in March. It's a lot of fun.

Oh yea - WELCOME!!

Last edited by BajaTaco; 01-05-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM

Hey 90!4Runner,

I'm up for some light offroading for stock vehicles. My 4Runner is pretty much stock as well.

I might go on the Reno Pass trail this weekend that Steve organized.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
I would recommend visiting www.azttora.com and registering at the forum. The guys from the valley are always doing runs, and many of the runs are good for introductory 4wd technique. Plus, you will have good support and guidance if you just ask. You are also welcome to join the club (no fees) and then you will get emails for any of the "official" club runs and events. There aren't many official runs though, most are informal. You should definitely try to plan to attend AZROCKS in March. It's a lot of fun.

Oh yea - WELCOME!!
What's AZROCKS? What day is it, because if it's during spring break, then i might(if not fishing/hunting)
Old 01-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

I started off-roading by messing around at Butcher Jones in my stock Tacoma with friends, which is very close to you. Again, go with someone. Lower Sycamore is also easy and fun; also right by you.

Looking forward to meeting you sometime.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 90!4Runner
What's AZROCKS? What day is it, because if it's during spring break, then i might(if not fishing/hunting)
AZRocks website

HERE are some photos I took at the 2005 AZRocks.

Norcal TTORA pics

There are trail runs from mild to wild, camping or hoteling, and a BBQ dinner night with a raffle/prizes.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 90!4Runner
Check this thread for more info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/azttora-event-march-77349/