Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they do....http://www.deathvalley.com/reserve/accommodations.shtml
in fact I celled them this AM and didn't get thru, so I emailed them. From the chatter I hear, they will be very busy in late March and early April, so it could very well be that they are bookedup, or getting close.

Originally Posted by Scottiac
Does PSR take camping rsvp's at all? I don't think there's much we can do besides take our chances there or be prepared to b/c somewhere near...?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Death Valley

Would love to go on this trip, but might not be able to go due to a trip the next weekend. Will try to though, so put us down as a maybe.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any thoughts on how we should approach the camping/reservations? Looks like we should plan on space for about 20 people. (???)
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 AM

Should probably start with determining if there is still space available, then how many vehicles/persons per spot they allow. I believe for tent camping its two vehicles per spot. Those that are committed to the trip should reserve first, the last minute people (like me) can hopefully end up sharing a space. Actually, I'll probbaly go ahead and try to reserve a spot for me anyways, and if I can't make it then I'll turn it over to a couple of you guys.

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Any thoughts on how we should approach the camping/reservations? Looks like we should plan on space for about 20 people. (???)

Last edited by DealMaker; 02-21-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their phone number appears to be junk. I've sent email inquiry as well. If anyone gets a response from PSR, please post it here so we can see what's what.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 AM

OK, I guess my email ended up making it thru to them as I got a response. Reservations need to be done on-line at deathvalley.com. Click on "Reserve Your Room Online", then click on Online Reservations with the yellow icon on the left side of the page. When you reserve, you will be prompted for RV site, tent site, etc. $15/day for four people. Additional people are $2.50 each. I do not know what the max. # of people are, though. I reserved tent site #20, so try to get adjacent sites if possible. I'll also be sleeping in my truck, so I think the site will accomodate two trucks and a tent. My res. are for Thurs., Friday, Saturday nights. I have not yet done anything for Furnace Creek

Panamint Springs Resort is a pretty cool place to hang at. It is low key. It is not a zoo like Stovepipe or Furnace Creek. The accomodations aren't AAA, but the people are good folk, the restaurant food is good, there is a bar, and the location is great for our itinerary.

I'm pretty sure there is decent back country camping close by, so please don't anybody panic if the campground gets full and you don't have reservations. That would be off the 178 Hwy. south of 190, 'bout 5 miles or so from PSR, and it would be on BLM land and not on NPS property. We can fine tune the details on that down the road.

Originally Posted by Scottiac
Their phone number appears to be junk. I've sent email inquiry as well. If anyone gets a response from PSR, please post it here so we can see what's what.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

I will have a CB in my truck by the time this trip happens, so if some people are looking to b/c camp and they don't have a CB to get a hold of the group, feel free to find a patch of desert near me.

On another note, it looks like 4wd Toyota Owner's mag accept photo submissions and although they offer to pay, a free Yotatech ad instead would be fine with me. Here's the link if you want to participate.

http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com/Submissions.html
Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Put me down for a positive on this one! I'll have to finish the factory roof rack lighting idea for camping that I have been thinking over since the Anza Borrego run with TTORA.

Think I will take off Fri morning and be there through Sunday.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 PM

Just got back. Things didn't go as planned, but we had fun. Friday we camped at Trona Pinnacles. It was very very windy and cold. On Sat, we did Fish Canyon/Escape Trail, Golar Wash, Warm Springs. From there, the group (20 vehicles) went to Beatty most had hotel reservations. We planned to camp near Sunday's trail Phinney Canyon, but it was too cold so we stayed in Stovepipe Wells (the valley was much warmer). The munckins were a little slow in the morning so we missed the meeting in Rhyolite. I thought the next trail was Titus Canyon, but that was on the agenda for Monday. We went to Titus and found it closed; we lost the group. As soon as we got there, it started to snow. The girls had fun playing so we stayed there awhile. Later, we saw Scotty's Castle and the Ubehebe Crater. Monday we just hung out in camp and then played in the dunes before heading home.

I would like to go back, but can only do a weekend ( I even bought a National NPS pass $50). For those who can only do the weekend, how are you hooking up with the group? If I'm lucky (not much traffic), it would take me 6 or 7 hrs to get to PSR from San Diego.

Here's our pics: DV pics
Old 02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

P,

to clear this up:
1. the PSR (Panamint Springs Resort) will be the primary camping for Thurs/Fri/Saturday nights right?
2. sunday night will be B/C?
3. monday night will be Furnce Creek?

I'll update this on the 1st page once I get the confirm from you.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DealMaker
OK, I guess my email ended up making it thru to them as I got a response. Reservations need to be done on-line at deathvalley.com. Click on "Reserve Your Room Online", then click on Online Reservations with the yellow icon on the left side of the page. When you reserve, you will be prompted for RV site, tent site, etc. $15/day for four people. Additional people are $2.50 each. I do not know what the max. # of people are, though. I reserved tent site #20, so try to get adjacent sites if possible. I'll also be sleeping in my truck, so I think the site will accomodate two trucks and a tent. My res. are for Thurs., Friday, Saturday nights. I have not yet done anything for Furnace Creek

Panamint Springs Resort is a pretty cool place to hang at. It is low key. It is not a zoo like Stovepipe or Furnace Creek. The accomodations aren't AAA, but the people are good folk, the restaurant food is good, there is a bar, and the location is great for our itinerary.

I'm pretty sure there is decent back country camping close by, so please don't anybody panic if the campground gets full and you don't have reservations. That would be off the 178 Hwy. south of 190, 'bout 5 miles or so from PSR, and it would be on BLM land and not on NPS property. We can fine tune the details on that down the road.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just reserved 3 nites at the campsite. im still waiting for confirmation. oh, and i put in the text box to select a site adjacent to #20 (pierre's site):

3/24 - fri
3/25 - sat
3/26 - sun

i will only be there on the 24th and 25th. leaving on sunday after a few trails.

bob
Old 02-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
i just reserved 3 nites at the campsite. im still waiting for confirmation. oh, and i put in the text box to select a site adjacent to #20 (pierre's site):

3/24 - fri
3/25 - sat
3/26 - sun

i will only be there on the 24th and 25th. leaving on sunday after a few trails.

bob
I reserved Friday and Saturday nights. Out of curiosity, how far are the cabins from where we want to camp?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 AM

1. the PSR (Panamint Springs Resort) will be the primary camping for Thurs/Fri/Saturday nights right? YES
2. sunday night will be B/C? YES
3. monday night will be Furnce Creek? YES

Originally Posted by Good Times
P,

to clear this up:
1. the PSR (Panamint Springs Resort) will be the primary camping for Thurs/Fri/Saturday nights right?
2. sunday night will be B/C?
3. monday night will be Furnce Creek?

I'll update this on the 1st page once I get the confirm from you.

Thanks!
If you mean the "hotel" rooms at PSR, they are about 50-100 feet from the campground at PSR. Just a heads up, they are not AAA accomodations. If you mean the "adopt-a-cabins", they are spread out thru the Panamints and Death Valley, and are on a first-come, first serve basis, and will very likely already be occupied as it will be a busy time of year. We should be in the area of some if we b/c camp in Butte Valley area Sunday night, and can check them out anyways, JIC.

My concern about those of you not staying Sunday night is that you risk the chance of being pretty far into the trail by Sunday afternoon/evening, and will either have to backtrack or finish the trail to Badwater and take the pavement all the way back. As the Goler Wash/Mengel Pass/Butte Valley trail isn't difficult, it shouldn't be very tough to run some portion of it in the dark, as long as you tracked the trail with your GPS and are with another vehicle.

Originally Posted by ebelen1
I reserved Friday and Saturday nights. Out of curiosity, how far are the cabins from where we want to camp?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

First page has been updated with logging location/information.

Thanks P for all of the work
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 AM

I just got my confirmation. There is a 48 hr. cancellation policy and they don't reserve by site numbers, though they will try to accomodate. No worries, the campground is small and we'll all still end up hanging at the same campfire anyways.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:59 AM

Just to confirm, we are camping in the backcountry Sunday night so I only need to book Friday and Saturday at PSR? Is that correct?

I might be bringing a dirtbike too. Does anyone know regulations for dirtbiking in Death Valley?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Sunday night is scheduled for back country.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM

Not legal. No "green-sticker'ed" or OH-only vehicle use is permitted in the Park. If the bike is licensed for street use then its OK.

Originally Posted by rizzoss669
...I might be bringing a dirtbike too. Does anyone know regulations for dirtbiking in Death Valley?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
here's my confirmation letter. note the message about site numbers and reservations:

Hi Bob

I have you in tent site 19 Mar 24-25th confirmation number 601166.We have a 48hr

cancellation policy and check in is after 1:00pm As I explained to Pierre we will try

to keep you in those two sites but we don't reserve by site number-sometimes we

have to scoot people around to accommodate everyone.

Thank you lynda
Old 02-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys might run into the xterras while you're there.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/...;f=13;t=001080

Quick Reply: Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)