Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The wife will make it. i gotta give her a crash course in driving stick so she doesn't get too bored

bob
Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can get the time off I think I'll plan to attend from Friday to Monday.

I haven't got that much experience off-road. Would this trip be a good one for a rookie?

I have a 94 4runner SR5 V6 5 speed. It came from the factory with 31x10.5 tires and 4.56s. As of this writing it is bone stock. By this time next week I will have Downey HD springs in the back and new shocks all around, along with a new steering stabilizer. I plan to remove the running boards as part of the weekend fun.

Thanks,
funjumper

Originally Posted by chiefiji
I'm there! the dates are fine with me but i'll be doing the fri night to sunday thing, much like last year.

Definite
Good Times
Bob98SR5
Paddlenbike
Expat
VerticalToy
Scottiac
chiefiji

Maybe
MeinPapa
DealMaker
DrBeau
Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, very good trip for a rookie. This is pretty straightforward stuff.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Talking count me in!

I've been drooling over these posts about trips to DV and I'm taking leave from the 23rd to the 29th to make it out there. I'll probably be taking my brother with me (gotta get him out of college for a bit ). It sounds like a lot of good ideas are floating around and I will def make this one.

I'll be doing the b/c camping thing the whole time to save $$$$. This sounds like another awesome trip to DV and I hope nobody has to bail at the last minute.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:42 AM

Don't worry about the trip not happening, there are quite a few people committed to going and I am going to DV regardless of the attendance. The added company will make it nice though.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 PM

I have been looking at this trip for a while now. If I can get the time off and arrange for the kids to be out of school a couple of days I would love to come along.

Just 1 question since I would be bringing the family or most of them I will be driving the 4gen 4Runner. It is stock except for the Hanna sliders and hopefully a CB. Do you guys see any problems with the trails/roads that are planned? My main concern is that the body is still low to the ground (no lift yet) compared to the 2nd and 3rd gens. Scraping the underside is not too big a problem just don’t need to tear up the plastic bumper covers too much (the wife would not like that much.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04sport4x4
I have been looking at this trip for a while now. If I can get the time off and arrange for the kids to be out of school a couple of days I would love to come along.

Just 1 question since I would be bringing the family or most of them I will be driving the 4gen 4Runner. It is stock except for the Hanna sliders and hopefully a CB. Do you guys see any problems with the trails/roads that are planned? My main concern is that the body is still low to the ground (no lift yet) compared to the 2nd and 3rd gens. Scraping the underside is not too big a problem just don’t need to tear up the plastic bumper covers too much (the wife would not like that much.

john,

i believe chiefiji was totally stock last year and he was fine.

bob
Old 02-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
john,

bob
Thanks thats good to hear. Now just to work on the time off.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
john,

bob
Henry was sporting a fabulous NE lift last year. Mark brought the whole family with camping gear, etc in a stock 4R. He only removed the running boards. The biggest concern we had was the rocker panels, where you are covered. He can give a better update on how it went for him. I think only his skid plates got a good workout.

However trail conditions have changed and Pierre has reported that Goler Wash might be more difficult than what we did. Apart from a few traisl reported DV is pretty much stock friendly with careful driving, spotting at places.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Since that visit in Oct. of last year, the Goler Wash road has been filled, scraped, and graded... You can now take a sedan up it. Seriously. Someone took a Honda CRV up it a couple weeks ago. It has been reduced to nothing more than a dirt road. There should be no worries on that portion of the run. There should be some semi-challenging areas once out of the wash, and when descending the other side of Mengal Pass, but nothing damage-inducing with good spotting. No guarantees, however.

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
...However trail conditions have changed and Pierre has reported that Goler Wash might be more difficult than what we did. Apart from a few traisl reported DV is pretty much stock friendly with careful driving, spotting at places.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

Where's that area where the rocks move by themselves? If we don't hit that area, I'd like to go up a little early and see that.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

That's Racetrack Playa. I believe it's on the itinerary (and if it's not it should be!).
Old 02-11-2006, 07:17 AM

Correct, its the Racetrack Playa. It wasn't on our itinerary because alot of us saw it last year. However, it is worth seeing as it is one of the most unique DV places, and as many of the YT guys who did the run last year will be bringing family/friends with them this time, it may be worthwhile to discuss changing our itinerary to do this Saturday. We could do Lippencott/Racetrack/maybe even Teakettle/Ubehebe and return to PSR via Lippencott, or preferrably we could do Darwin Falls/Lippencott/Racetrack then back to PSR via Lippencott. If we do then it means an extra night at PSR for those camping there. Again, spaces go fast that time of year!

Then we could do Goler Wash Sunday, sleep B/C Sunday night, and pick up the rest of the original Sunday Monday Tuesday itinerary.

Originally Posted by DrBeau
That's Racetrack Playa. I believe it's on the itinerary (and if it's not it should be!).
Old 02-11-2006, 12:21 PM

I'm up for lots of sightseeing including seeing the Racetrack again. Im bringing the family again so they want frequent stops and time to ogle and play.

Stock 4th Gen will be fine. You might just opt to take some lines that are a little easier or request someone spot for you from time to time. Take your running boards off tho.

As mentioned above, last time I went my 4th gen was completely stock and filled to the brim with 2 adults, 2 kids and four days worth of camping gear. Only scrapped the skids a few times but no damage.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 AM

Thanks, Expat. Any other Attendees, please see post #93 regarding possible itinerary change and express your feedback as well....
Old 02-13-2006, 10:57 AM

I'd like to see Racetrack Playa. Sounds cool. That's my $.02.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'll go with whatever you guys want to do since I've never been there before.

Last edited by dfireballd; 02-16-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna try and make this trip, but it's still too far away for me set a positive date, I want to run the whole trip, but may have to keep it from late friday thru Sunday.

I have a friend from work with an Xterra that may join us as well....
Old 02-20-2006, 10:29 AM

GoodTimes or PaddlenBike...

can you make the itinerary change on the first post to reflect the following changes...
Saturday: We could do Lippencott/Racetrack/maybe even Teakettle/Ubehebe and return to PSR via Lippencott, or preferrably we could do Darwin Falls/Lippencott/Racetrack then back to PSR via Lippencott. If we do then it means an extra night at PSR for those camping there. Again, spaces go fast that time of year!
Sunday: Goler Wash Sunday, sleep B/C Sunday night, and pick up the rest of the original Sunday Monday Tuesday itinerary.

This will only put us back country camping for one night instead of two, though there are areas somewhat close to PSR and en route to Goler Wash to backcountry camp. Personally I would rather stay at the campgrounds at PSR for Thurs. - Sat. nights as it is a smaller campground and has some amenities (gas, restaurant, bathrooms, etc.), and can allow us to stay out longer on the trail if we wish. Questions?? Comments? Concerns??
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Does PSR take camping rsvp's at all? I don't think there's much we can do besides take our chances there or be prepared to b/c somewhere near...?

Quick Reply: Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)