Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Coney Flats - 7/4/04

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coney Flats - 7/4/04

This weekend, my aunt, uncle, mother and I went into the hills. Originally, we were going to go up Middle St. Vrain. When we got there, a white Grand Cherokee was considerate enough to block the whole trail head while he fiddled with various odd 'n ends in the back. People are so nice sometimes. My uncle and I scouted and eyed the best line over the first obstacle (new as of 6/19) that would prevent anyone but experienced driver's with a good amount of clearance. I was just itchin' to use the new 285s. While were were poking around the rocks and boulders strewn across the trail, the white Grand Cherokee (stock except for ghetto fabbed front and rear bumpers) decided to have a go. No lift was evident and that was his undoing. He took a bad line and high-centered immediately. Since he was so thoughtful in preventing us from getting to the trail, my uncle, myself and about 20 onlookers were condsiderate enough to watch for pure entertainment. We watched thoughtfully as he ripped one then another rockerpanel to shreads. The we watched gleefully as he mangled a cross member. Then, with a sigh, we watched him dislodge himself. As he backed out of the trail, I noticed a steady drip of either motor oil or tranmission fluid from under his rig.
Ultimately, we decided not to run this trail since the GC had done such a nice job of digging a trench in front of the obstacle. The other thing that swayed our decision was the line of 15+ vehicles behind us. BAH! Instead, we ran Coney Flats. This was a moderately difficult trail that was REALLY fun. Quite a few mud puddles, rock obstacles, and a great view at the summit:

I'd rate this trail a 6 out of 10. Definately one of my favorites now. Only had to use my locker once on a steep incline on wet rocks.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

I thought Jeeps could go anywhere? Sounds like the owner probably did, too, as this was apparently their first time off pavement.

Glad you enjoyed the Coney. Sounds good. Got new shoes to boot, eh? What did you end up getting?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Sounds like fun, both on the run and at the expense of the JGC owner! I'm going to miss those runs into the mountains out there.