Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ (Colorado 4Runner Jamboree) 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
I would like to request that no one harass the local wildlife. Especially the little marmots. I don't know who it was last year, but someone (I think in our group) was using them for target practice on one trail run. I don't want to single anyone out now, but just don't do it in the future please.
I agree, no harassing the wildlife or tearing up the land where we camp and wheel.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM

This event looks like exactly what im looking for.

I have always wanted to drive my rig out to CO and wheel the scenery. How spread out are these trails. How many can be done in a day. Im used to wheeling <1000 acre parks. This kind of thing is new to me!

My goal is scenery!!! And I dont care how difficult the trail is. I guess we would have to hook up with a group.

I run the Chicago toyota jambo the weekend before so im not sure I can swing both but ill keep it in mind.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr

My goal is scenery!!!
I highly recommend the Grizzly Lake trail and and some trail (someone help with the name) above Baldwin lake for scenery.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 AM

Nice! Thats been looking for. I always figured I would just post up and see if people would meet me and show me around, but this way I could just hook up with you guys.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 AM

This event looks like exactly what im looking for.

I have always wanted to drive my rig out to CO and wheel the scenery. How spread out are these trails. How many can be done in a day. Im used to wheeling <1000 acre parks. This kind of thing is new to me!

My goal is scenery!!! And I dont care how difficult the trail is. I guess we would have to hook up with a group.

I run the Chicago toyota jambo the weekend before so im not sure I can swing both but ill keep it in mind.
You might be able to get 2 trails a day in. It depends on the trails though. Holy Cross (great scenery BTW!) is a day long trail. Some of the other trails like Iron Chest, Grizzly Lake, and some of the passes could be doubled up in a day. It will make for a long day but totally worth the drive out

Then there's BV Carnage. 0.9 miles long and takes 5-10 hours to complete

If you can't make the CO4RJ, you're always welcome to plan a trip to CO and post up your dates here. There's always somebody willing to take a CO newbie out
Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Volcom
You might be able to get 2 trails a day in. It depends on the trails though. Holy Cross (great scenery BTW!) is a day long trail. Some of the other trails like Iron Chest, Grizzly Lake, and some of the passes could be doubled up in a day. It will make for a long day but totally worth the drive out

Then there's BV Carnage. 0.9 miles long and takes 5-10 hours to complete

If you can't make the CO4RJ, you're always welcome to plan a trip to CO and post up your dates here. There's always somebody willing to take a CO newbie out
I was looking at last year pics and while BV carnage looks like a blast. I would rather do the scenery thing, than break 1000 miles from home with no tow rig! But I dont want to be board. I do want "some" wheeling. If I came out it would be for much longer than the event. I would also want to hit RMNP, maybe even moab.

It will be an extreem excersize is restraint to not run the 9 & 10 rated trails.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 AM

I was looking at last year pics and while BV carnage looks like a blast. I would rather do the scenery thing, than break 1000 miles from home with no tow rig! But I dont want to be board. I do want "some" wheeling. If I came out it would be for much longer than the event. I would also want to hit RMNP, maybe even moab.

It will be an extreem excersize is restraint to not run the 9 & 10 rated trails.
Great time of year to see RMNP but can be hotter than hell in moab that time of year. If you haven't been to moab before make sure ask around for the best trails to wheel with limited time. I'm sure many will have been there to ask.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 AM

This is one of the few "runs" I will go on. With my schedule, I only have time for a few each year. I like how its not "organized" and regulated. Its just a bunch of Toyota guys (or whoever) who get together to wheel and hang out. You'll have stock rigs, mild rigs, and fully built rigs all in camp.

One thing I will tell you is that the drive to Buena Vista on 285 alone is worth the trip. I would also tell you to run out to Ouray and go wheel around there as well. Black Bear Pass is the one trip I will definitely plan with the family this year. There is spectacular scenery all over this state that I have yet to see myself.

Go to Moab in the spring or fall. I'm heading to Moab with a bunch of the Tacoma guys off the Pirate board this year in April. Again, not a sanctioned run, just a bunch of guys getting together to wheel and hang out. So, I don't feel pressure to put on a Vendor hat. I can just vacation and not "work".
Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Dudes.

Poop, I'm not going to be able to hit the aggro stuff myself - bringing the new semi-virgin 4Runner - but I plan to roll some of the backwoods historic mine and view trails instead. Trails that might be challenging enough to be interesting but not so difficult that I have to worry about breaking (and extracting) a truck that I'm still in the process of properly preparing.

We'll find something good.

STICK

Last edited by SharpStick; 02-10-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

There are a ton of non aggresive scenic trails in the area. Last year we went on Hancock pas, Mt. Antero, Baldwin lakes, and a couple of others i can't remember. BEAUTIFUL stuff. I didn't get to go on some trails that I wanted to so I'll be heading up to Temichi Pass and Tin Cup this year.

Great event looking forward to it!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:43 PM

I put us down as a maybe... We will be running moderate/mild trails.

John
Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM

Wow, all quiet on the midwestern front. Buzz buzz buzz?

If folks are getting poor, it's understandable. We could invoke a hunt-for-your-dinner roadkill rule, make the drive back from the trails more challenging.

STICK
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SharpStick
Wow, all quiet on the midwestern front. Buzz buzz buzz?

If folks are getting poor, it's understandable. We could invoke a hunt-for-your-dinner roadkill rule, make the drive back from the trails more challenging.

STICK
Still a little over 4 months away and most of the snow in the high country won't be melted and trails won't be clear until May We're still in hibernation here in CO
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Ok, I'm in. Got Friday off from work, so my wife and I will be there. Probably runnin the light to moderate trails.

Originally Posted by Volcom
Still a little over 4 months away and most of the snow in the high country won't be melted and trails won't be clear until May We're still in hibernation here in CO
Snow? I haven't seen snow in months...

Last edited by Ardent; 03-09-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I've driven through that high-mountain stuff a thousand times headed to the resorts, and it never fails to impress me. Big snow = Yay! I was at Big Bear 'boarding two weekends ago, and the stuff at altitude always blows me away. Mammoth reportedly got five feet in a day last week. I can only imagine what that drifts up to.

Tested the 4Runner at TDS this weekend. There were SOOOOO many Toyotas, but only a few YotaTech guys repping. We need bigger stickers! I have great photos - Jaime from off-road.com shot them. He'd stay on the main trail in the wash in his half-ton while I crawled all over the place around him, and he would shoot out his window safari-style. I almost rolled the truck about 10 times.

STICK it in a hole
Old 03-10-2009, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. . .I just remembered my friend is getting married on a 31st. Hopefully its a June 31st and not a July 31st. . .

EDIT: It is July 31st . Looks like I'll be getting there early Saturday morning. I'm not gonna miss this weekend yet!

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 03-10-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I highly recommend the Grizzly Lake trail and and some trail (someone help with the name) above Baldwin lake for scenery.
Mt. Antero?

Last year we did Hancock pass and went up to the Alpine tunnel afterwards. Then we did some trail that is only open one month out of the year due to mud/human impact. There is a local club that takes care of it, they opened the gate in front of us (Don and I) We were the first ones on the trail for the year. Kinda cool. BEAUTIFUL stuff.

scenery:

The entrance to the 1 month trail

Last edited by poorboyota26; 03-10-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 PM

I used to hang out with some guys from Littleton. Know Eric or Craig Moir? Because there's only ten or twelve people there, right?

Your photos make me weak. CO is excellent.

STICK
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Sorry, never ran into them at the general store. We small town folk stick close together so I may run into them sooner or later.

Ha Ha I still claim Littleton but I'm living in my moms basement with my wife while I finish up school here in Greeley. I hate Greeley.

come on out and wheel we'll have a blast.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Then we did some trail that is only open one month out of the year due to mud/human impact. There is a local club that takes care of it, they opened the gate in front of us (Don and I) We were the first ones on the trail for the year. Kinda cool. BEAUTIFUL stuff.
Williams Pass?

Quick Reply: CO4RJ (Colorado 4Runner Jamboree) 2009!