Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ (Colorado 4Runner Jamboree) 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoradoToy91
It is basically a giant rock garden of basketball sized rocks. Check it out on trail damage and see if you want to give it a shot
Yeah I looked at the traildamage report, but it seemed that they were making it sound harder than it looks. Being that pics can be deceiving, I asked.

If that's mainly what it consists of, we shouldn't have a problem. TD's report of 6-8 rating was higher than I expected (but you can't really trust those since most trails were rated 3-4 yrs ago at least). I mean, Chinaman's gulch is only rated 4-7 and I've heard it's tough.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ardent
Yeah I looked at the traildamage report, but it seemed that they were making it sound harder than it looks. Being that pics can be deceiving, I asked.

If that's mainly what it consists of, we shouldn't have a problem. TD's report of 6-8 rating was higher than I expected (but you can't really trust those since most trails were rated 3-4 yrs ago at least). I mean, Chinaman's gulch is only rated 4-7 and I've heard it's tough.
Chinaman's is easy IMO. Only section that is tough is the upper part where the V-notch squeeze is and that big ass boulder in the middle of the trail that likes to eat rear quarter panels. Several of us ran it last year with open rigs, and if I had rocker protection this year, I would run it with my new 4runner on 265s. All of the harder areas have bypasses. We saw several stock Jeeps on it including a girl who just bought a bone stock YJ who had never wheeled it make it through.

I thought about running the lower section to watch the guys in the afternoon on Saturday on the exit of Carnage. Still might do this, but again, lack of sliders makes it risky. I could always hike in though with my boys.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Chinaman's is easy IMO. ... We saw several stock Jeeps on it including a girl who just bought a bone stock YJ who had never wheeled it make it through.
Ain't skeered no more! My bro with a full-size Bronco on 35's and locked rear said it was tough. Maybe becuase he's a full-size?? He told me that I wouldn't make it without a locker and that the only IFS rig on the trail had to be winched. But then again, he likes to tell me that I can't do things that I can... yet he's always the one breaking on the trail...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Ain't skeered no more! My bro with a full-size Bronco on 35's and locked rear said it was tough. Maybe becuase he's a full-size?? He told me that I wouldn't make it without a locker and that the only IFS rig on the trail had to be winched. But then again, he likes to tell me that I can't do things that I can... yet he's always the one breaking on the trail...
We had a LOWERED IFS tacoma make it last year!!! (IIRC, it was lifted 4" in the back, but the IFS was sagging to 2" under stock height)

Last edited by 4runner Freak; 07-29-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM

If that is the case then I want to do this trail on Sunday. I think that there was rumble that some of the built rigs were going up it on Sunday and I would like to go with them if it is ok. I have 285's and the eLocker, I also always have a strap and body damage is just part of it. If it is doable and there is someone there to help me pick lines then I'm in.

ScottyC, if you and your boys want to ride up it on Sunday then I have open seats.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Full size will have some issues.

I ran it with a SAS'd 88 4runner on 35s last year. Open diff'd on both ends, and it was cake.

We got Danny through it in his 85' with 31s or 32's (I think) open-open and he just needed one push.

If its wet, things will change though.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I did.. We never would have got the studs out in Alamosa. It took me 4 hours to get them removed. I had to almost completely drill them out heat them with a torch and then use the extractor to the point of almost braking. I did go through a few extractors and numerous bolts welded and tapped into the studs. I also dented the face in a few spots so I used a large file and valve grinding compound to flaten the face.
Yeah, we would have NEVER gotten them out if that was the case. Glad you got it fixed.

I am bringing a gift certificate for any set of sliders 58", 67" or 78" of my weld on sliders.
Thanks for the donation Scotty!

Mayhem tried it last year in his Taco on 33's and a rear locker. IIRC, he had a tire issue and had to winch himself off of the trail. Unlocked on 33's on Iron Chest will be tough but not impossible.

Here's a trip report of Iron Chest from last summer by some guys in my club
http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB3/view...hp?f=13&t=2580

I thought about running the lower section to watch the guys in the afternoon on Saturday on the exit of Carnage. Still might do this, but again, lack of sliders makes it risky. I could always hike in though with my boys.
The only tricky part about that lower section is the first squeeze rock. Plus the trail is in & out on that part so whatever you drive up you have to drive down. Just watch that quarterpanel

You could always drive up as far as you can and hike up to the exit. It's a short hike.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Grizzly lake just has one obstacle at the beginning just out of the stream, mainly because your tires are wet it makes it difficult. I went to find the trailhead for the damn thing a few weeks ago and ended up on Iron Chest.

As stated, Iron Chest can be done on 33's with a damn good spot. Got hung up on my frame in only one section... Winched off and continued the rest of the trail. The beginning section is a few hundred yards of decent sized boulders. I don't know that I would run it open/open

So we are going to camp near Holy Cross Thursday to Friday night rather than driving to Buena Vista then tracking out to the trail and back... So we will see you guys there.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mayhem
Grizzly lake just has one obstacle at the beginning just out of the stream, mainly because your tires are wet it makes it difficult. I went to find the trailhead for the damn thing a few weeks ago and ended up on Iron Chest.

As stated, Iron Chest can be done on 33's with a damn good spot. Got hung up on my frame in only one section... Winched off and continued the rest of the trail. The beginning section is a few hundred yards of decent sized boulders. I don't know that I would run it open/open

So we are going to camp near Holy Cross Thursday to Friday night rather than driving to Buena Vista then tracking out to the trail and back... So we will see you guys there.
Thanks for the info on Iron Chest and Grizzly. I personally haven't ran it so it's nice to get an opinion of somebody that has ran it in the past.

Sounds good about the camping near Holy Cross and not having to back track. We'll catch ya at the HC trailhead at 9am on Friday!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Once again, I don't get to see you guys this year. We really haven't long distance road tested Ron (~TC's~) Runner after the whole 3.0 fiasco. We also have to get into the tranny since there is a seal not working right. Well that and we are worried about a rear axle seal. *sigh*

You will break and you will go Broke. That's about the gist of our situation!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:44 AM

Well, I am out of here in a couple hours. Just need to wait for the trailer to dry out before I close her up for the trip. I will see you guys there!

I think on Friday I will be doing some fishing up at Cottonwood Lake with my boys and dogs. Probably just chill in camp today though.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 AM

Well, I am out of here in a couple hours. Just need to wait for the trailer to dry out before I close her up for the trip. I will see you guys there!

I think on Friday I will be doing some fishing up at Cottonwood Lake with my boys and dogs. Probably just chill in camp today though.
Right on, have some fun today with the boys and some of us will see you tonight in camp!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta stop reading this thread. Its bumming me out that I can't go
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Right on, have some fun today with the boys and some of us will see you tonight in camp!
Will do.

I think I have a plan for Saturday and Sunday too. Gonna run Pomeroy Lakes, and Tin Cup Pass this week too. I want to fish at Mirror Lake before running some of Tin Cup.

This is going to be a very mellow weekend for us. I am going to take my time and be VERY lazy. Its been a long time since I have had a week like this.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM

STICK just called me and wanted to know if somebody could bring an IPod car charger with them to the event. His IPod is out of juice and he's needing his tunes for the weekend. Anybody help a Cali dude out??
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM

STICK just called me and wanted to know if somebody could bring an IPod car charger with them to the event. His IPod is out of juice and he's needing his tunes for the weekend. Anybody help a Cali dude out??
I'll have mine with me, but I may be using it some.
He is more then welcome to use it or charge his up at night.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner Freak
I'll have mine with me, but I may be using it some.
He is more then welcome to use it or charge his up at night.
Thanks Danny, I think that all he needs is a couple of charges over the weekend to get him by.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM

You may have a damp night..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
You may have a damp night..
Yeah

STICK said it looked bad on the drive to BV. Guess I'll have to break out the tarp over the tent tonight
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Yeah

STICK said it looked bad on the drive to BV. Guess I'll have to break out the tarp over the tent tonight
Yeah, we dealt with the wet tent last weekend, we are sleeping in the 4runner.

Quick Reply: CO4RJ (Colorado 4Runner Jamboree) 2009!