Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Co4rj 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Co4rj 2006

Talk is starting up again for another CO4RJ. First off, where are we going to go this year? Last year many of the trails we did were in the Fairplay area. So maybe we could could camp over in that area and if we wanted. Its only about an hour drive to other more popular trails, like Chinamans Gulch, from there. Thats just my idea off the top of my head.

Put up your thoughts, Its all pretty much up in the air. Sschaefer's crew is going to New Mexico and won't be joining us this time around I believe.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=co4rj Take a read over this thread to help with ideas for this year.

As for timing and dates, I say we should make it almost mid summer and possibly have it span over a longer time. Especially if we decide to go somewhere further.

Im pretty much game for anything, so let the thoughts fly.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

hmmmmmmmmmmm......

13 hours.........

Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 AM

I might be in if I get some things on my 4runner done eventually!

Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 04:30 AM

If there's going to be one in Colorado, let's do it on another weekend, so if we get lucky we can go to both!

Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 05:26 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Kyle,
thankx for starting a thread,
I was talking to someone last night about this, and we both feel that the Jambo is about people getting together, and having a nice time, NOT beating the heack out of your rig.
The thought came up about having the Jambo in the Glenwood Springs area, most trails are only rated a 4 from my understanding, that means that the "stockers" and the people newer to 4wheeling will feel comfortable. but the "Hard Core" wont want to go, but, it may may a nice time to just cruise and enjoy the sights, again, thats "just" a thought..
As far as dates, i think people that want to do this, needs to post up some dates, and ideas. i dont care where and when, its about getting good people together. Lets try to keep this as "FAMILY FUN" as possible.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

yes, we also really loved the shower at the end of the day, and the fire was also a great bonus. now i remember someone saying something about the Front Range, a hot tub at the end of a run would be cool also.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:47 AM

I say whoever steps up and plans this event should just plan an event that is focused on people having a good time, meeting fellow Toyota owners and viewing great Colorado scenery while enjoying some moderate 4 wheeling. If that appeals to somebody, then they will come, if not then they won’t. You can’t please everyone. I think the CO4RJ catered more toward the “hard-core” crowd the last 2 years and that’s fine but I say after 5 years lets get back to focusing on an event a wide range of people could comfortably attend. There is a whole new batch of Toyota owners who are just starting out where a lot of us were 3 or 4 years ago. CO4RJ is a great way for these people to get out and do some wheeling – see some mods up close and personal and gain valuable information from fellow Toyota owners. It shouldn’t be about “showing someone up” or proving you’ve got the biggest, baddest truck on the internet. Or on the flip side – someone shouldn’t feel excluded because their biggest mod is removing the running boards.

There are people who have stepped up and taken their later model 4Runner and Tacomas to new places in the 4x4 world and by their own admission have “out grown” a lot of us with out mild lifts and lots of stock components. As much as I do enjoy these people’s company and checking out their rigs – I think they are more of a specialized/unique group that has wisely started their own events to better challenge and suit their needs. So, I can understand why some in this group might not want to make a several hundred mile trip to wheel trails that won’t really challenge them. That being said, it is always nice for the rest of us to be able to check out the more built rigs – and I hope some of this crowd still decides to make the trip – especially those who already live in Colorado.

So, ultimately – not needing to cater to the hard-core crowd allows us a much broader range of trail options and possibly new camping/lodging facilities.

I think the hard part is the camping/where to stay. I do like the Buena Vista campground and the shower facilities are nice but I would really like to look into finding another campground so we can run some different trails. Glenwood is a possibility. Also there are some really nice trails around Keystone/Breckenridge area etc.

This is all just my opinion – and since I’m more in the “moderate wheeler” category - that’s obviously the way I lean.

John
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I say whoever steps up and plans this event should just plan an event that is focused on people having a good time, meeting fellow Toyota owners and viewing great Colorado scenery while enjoying some moderate 4 wheeling. If that appeals to somebody, then they will come, if not then they won’t. You can’t please everyone.
AMEN.

So, ultimately – not needing to cater to the hard-core crowd allows us a much broader range of trail options and possibly new camping/lodging facilities.
i agree

It shouldn’t be about “showing someone up” or proving you’ve got the biggest, baddest truck on the internet. Or on the flip side – someone shouldn’t feel excluded because their biggest mod is removing the running boards.
i couldnt have said it better, lets all get along and have a nice time.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SteveO

So John, are you going to get the ball rolling? Where is the sign up sheet?
hehe. I'll will definately be involved - as much as I can be.

John
Old 02-27-2006, 03:38 PM

I'm up for anywhere in CO - I still have lots of exploring to do.
I'm still in the "moderate"/"scenic" category since my skillz aren't quite up to par yet.

I'll have to play it by ear come July if I can make it or not tho.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I'll have to play it by ear come July if I can make it or not tho
If you cant make it, ill be more than to run your rig, just to make sure its still up to par, what are friends for ?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:20 PM

I will be more then happy to help head this. Most of us in this group this year are gonna be in the moderate/scenic groups. I think it would be fun to do some real camping, not to say last years wasn't, but I think it would be nice to go to a place that is cheaper and more in the mountains. I'm open to about any trail, It would be fun to get out and see some new trails and some new scenery. Most of the trails I have done have been in the front range area. The San Jaun mountains may be a good place to check out, I know there are a good handfull of us that have never been out that way. Darrens website http://www.mycolorado.org/trails.html has a good list of trails there, most of them look pretty easy, but from what I've heard there are tons of trails in that area.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:48 PM

I tend to lean towards to the harder trails, but I still would love to have a trip with a bunch of fun folks trail riding and getting to enjoy the wonderful CO scenery. I'm game for pretty much whatever. How long of a drive from Fort Collins will this be most likely?

Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I reflected on this at the gathering last year and will touch it again, playing off what John said...

CO4RJ was started, in Buena Vista, by Jeff the Marmot to get new people together so they could see how to use their rigs. Everyone did the same trails together and had a good time. Over time, this has changed.

I have attended the last 4 CO4RJ's. This includes meeting some of my best wheeling friends at the second ever event. I met them when we all had similar trucks, were on the same trails and were all spikers.

Then things got popular and some people griped loud and hard about making getting on and off the trail a priority. This fact, combined with an increasing diversity of modification REQUIRED trucks to be split among several trails and started the separation.

Last year I "planned" the event. I did a piss poor job, it was under attended and most people admitted, both to my face and behind the keyboard, to having a crappy time. This taught me a hard lesson about CO4RJ 2006.

To be successful this year, the event must:
1. Not be in Buena Vista
2. Not divide trucks up amongst trails
3. Not have me and people like me in attendance

Good luck in planning. I hope you can learn from my/our mistakes.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:11 PM

I thought you did an awesome job last year, it was my first time to be up there for a co4rj. I had a great time. Anybody who told you that they had a crappy time probably wasn't trying to hard to have a good time to begin with. I think you should come, maybe not being the one to plan it will help you with having a better time, less stress.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Flygtenstein,
as Ive said before, last year was our first time, and we had a GREAT time, and cant wait till next year......
I also think that every one that anything to do with the planning, did an "awesome" job, i know that its no easy tast. I know that we, appreciate what you, and the others did to get it going...
I personaly would love for you to be there.. you are an icon. you are the CO4RJ ( you and your kilt,lol ) you have to be there, even if you have no part in the planning.. you are good people !!!!!!!!!
Ill say it again,
THANK YOU, to all that any part in planning the Jambo.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 AM

Okay, first off, thets get a place chosen. So far the thoughts are Glenwood Springs, Breck/Keystone, and San Jaun Mountains. Glenwood Springs would be a great place for the kids and place to have other activities outside of wheeling. Same with Breck/Keystone.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Glenwood Springs area, I've never been up there and the scenery is great.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:57 AM

Can someone list what trails there are in and around Glenwood Springs? I've never run any out there.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 AM

this sounds like fun im down to go if yous dont mind. im down to go any where.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:38 PM

Flygt, My personal underattendance was purely do to a little event (sarcasm!) called a wedding and a honeymoon. I would have come and WOULD have had a good time otherwise. Even not being there I know that negative vibes were not your fault! I've run several trails with you now and have never had a bad time. Your good people, man! As is everyone I've met on every group trail I've done.

Im gonna send this in a PM to you just in case you didn't plan on checking this thread again, but also wanted to post it so all others who agree can see.

My 2 cents....
Wheelin is a passtime, if it pisses you off don't do it, and more importantly, don't blame someone else for it! If you cant deal with hanging out while some one else tries something 'till it hurts, don't do group runs, go alone!

That all said, I like the idea of the San Juans. Something new. As for deviding up, even on easy trails you get above 8-10 rigs (I would hope we will have at least that many in attendance) and it's gonna get sticky. Imagine being the one guy coming the other direction having to wait forever while what feels like a freight train is passing by. There's a reason why the forest service limits the group size on hiking trails and heavy traffic areas like Moab. Not a popular stance but one to think about. As for dates, My vote is for Labor day weekend Sept 2-3 (Purely selfish, I've got a 3 day weekend with monday off which allows for a return trip day). I also vote for Saturday and Sunday runs, seems like the last CO4RJ I went to ended on Sat. which left me solo on Sunday.

Quick Reply: Co4rj 2006