Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Co4rj-05

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Co4rj-05

Had a great time in 04, just wondering if anyone had any news about this year's yet?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who are you and when are we going to drink some beer?

I was at the last Jambo, but apparently I did not meet you.

I am that fat guy from Wisconsin.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

I'd like it to be back at Ouray or Telluride this year. I liked those trails better than the trails we did for the '03 Jamb.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 PM

A venue change is likely in order.

In the next couple of months it will become apparent if I will be living out this way for the Jambo and I would consider stepping up if I could get help with web stuff since I am a weinie about that.

The camp at Buena Vista is cool.

The trails are just getting a little full.

Trails in Ouray are limited.

Avalanhce Ranch cuts things out for Denverites and would make me think twice.

That being said, I think that it is a good locals thing and the out of state attendance has been great.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Adrian: Are you looking at moving again?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 AM

I've got a grey and black 1st gen.

I didn't have a chance to meet too many people, due to parenting time problems. So my kids and I only made it up for the Saturday easy run to Mount Antero...But not this year, we're doin the whole weekend and I'll be locked and lifted with armor...and I'll bring the beer.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:01 AM

Heyworth, it will be good to meet you.

Lance, my lease is up at the end of July. If I have no solid gig and no grad school acceptance, I am on the road again.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:07 AM

We will have to think about alternatives this year. I understand people might want a change. But, all the planets seem to align around the chalk creek campground. It make a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Mainly it's proximity to a lot of trails and to Denver. I personally won't want to go to Ouray. Easy trails with few challenges, too far from Denver and the trails can be crowded.

I probably won't want to organize it this year, but will definitely help out significantly in certain areas. Hope Adrian will be around to help also.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JadeRunner
I personally won't want to go to Ouray.
Ouray was a fun trip, but we'd probably need a much bigger campground area than we had last time since the number of participants has been higher the last couple of years.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 AM

Chalk Creek is great. It is perfect for this crew though it seems they were a little more annoyed with us this year than the last couple.

I enjoy Chinamen's and Holy Cross. Iron Chest will be unpaved or is unpaved now, the Grizzly one is another option.

If I am going to be around to plan, I suggest an 8 rig max per hard trail per day.

The crew we had on Chinamen's last year was too big, more than twice that size it should have been. That makes it hard to enjoy the trip since it is more of a push, push, push deal.

This year I bet there would be interest in a small crew to hit Holy Cross above the city. A small group of built trucks could do it one day while a larger group of less modified rigs could go only to French Creek.

Other than Wheeler, I have never done the milder trails. For the people who have been doing only those, I assume it is getting boring. I advise taking an up tick and wheeling tougher. Most of us have wheeled with eachother a lot and know who can hang with who.

And lastly, I am interested in mission type statement on this event. If it is to cater mostly to locals, specifically Denverites, to breed community, then I think Buena Vista makes a lot of sense. If it is to draw people from out of town and to be about wheeling, then it is clear we have to hit tougher trails in smaller number.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Chalk Creek is great. It is perfect for this crew though it seems they were a little more annoyed with us this year than the last couple.

I enjoy Chinamen's and Holy Cross. Iron Chest will be unpaved or is unpaved now, the Grizzly one is another option.

If I am going to be around to plan, I suggest an 8 rig max per hard trail per day.

The crew we had on Chinamen's last year was too big, more than twice that size it should have been. That makes it hard to enjoy the trip since it is more of a push, push, push deal.

This year I bet there would be interest in a small crew to hit Holy Cross above the city. A small group of built trucks could do it one day while a larger group of less modified rigs could go only to French Creek.

Other than Wheeler, I have never done the milder trails. For the people who have been doing only those, I assume it is getting boring. I advise taking an up tick and wheeling tougher. Most of us have wheeled with eachother a lot and know who can hang with who.

And lastly, I am interested in mission type statement on this event. If it is to cater mostly to locals, specifically Denverites, to breed community, then I think Buena Vista makes a lot of sense. If it is to draw people from out of town and to be about wheeling, then it is clear we have to hit tougher trails in smaller number.
I agree with most of this.

If there are too many rigs it gets crappy. There were too many on Chinaman's last year and it got crappy. We can avoid this by adjusting start times. I'd personally like to do Chinaman's again when there is time to at-least try all of the obstacles without being rushed.

Holy Cross will be a drag to do again if I don't get to at-least try to get to the city. Last year, crossing the creek and turning around didn't make much sense to me. I think 2 groups on it would be good as well. Or, like we did in '03, all pile in the rigs than want to go past French Creek.

I have never done Iron Chest, but would like to if it is returned to it's previous state or better.

We also might want to re-think our philosophy of letting everyone around us. We do so out of courtesy, and end up limiting our fun while we watch other groups play.

I don't know about Ouray, I haven't done those trails yet. But what I have heard leads me to believe they are more easy/moderate than hard. Which turns me off to a degree, but if it is there I will probably still attend cause I like hangin' with you guys!

What about Avalanche Ranch? Has anyone been there? Adrian, were you saying it's too far for Denver folks? It looks pretty cool to me and it can't be as far as Moab for you guys.

Whatever the deal, this is a great event with a great group of people. I'll see you there and help support it if possible.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:26 PM

The Ranch is pay to play and more extreme instead of moderate.

I really like the Buena Vista trails since they are trails, not "Adventure Parks."

The group is getting more modified, but we need to keep things open for stockers and less modified.

Again, the next two months are going to reveal a lot about the next two years of my life, so I cannot make a firm move.

I would attend a Friday, Saturday, Sunday event in Buena Vista during early to middle August where one day was above the city, one day was a slow, fun run of Chinamen's and the last is either a walk along Carnage with bigger trucks, a trip up Iron Chest, or some new trail.

I'd like to hear more from people who have been running the moderate and easier trails. If those folks are sick of those trails and cannot make the jump to the next level, that presents a problem.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
We also might want to re-think our philosophy of letting everyone around us. We do so out of courtesy, and end up limiting our fun while we watch other groups play.
When did we ever get bogged down by a group we let pass us?
Old 01-31-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora Sandman
When did we ever get bogged down by a group we let pass us?
On the trip we ran on Holy Cross we did that at French Creek, I can see Jim's point in that sistuation. We need to look after ourselves also.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

On the trip we ran on Holy Cross we did that at French Creek, I can see Jim's point in that sistuation. We need to look after ourselves also.
That was the occasion of which I spoke. If we would have not let the Jeeps pass we would have been able to play instead of watch. IIRC once you get past the Creek (even if a string is necessary) there is still some nice trail up to the city, that's totally doable by our group.

I am with Adrian on his trail selections and intentions for the trip. Holy Cross, to the city. Play on Chinaman's, it's so close to camp even a long day would be fine and a run up Iron Chest, I've never done that one.

I would vote for later August due to the high potential of another trip in mid July that we may have repairs from
Old 02-01-2005, 06:22 AM

That was the occasion of which I spoke. If we would have not let the Jeeps pass we would have been able to play instead of watch. IIRC once you get past the Creek (even if a string is necessary) there is still some nice trail up to the city, that's totally doable by our group.

I am with Adrian on his trail selections and intentions for the trip. Holy Cross, to the city. Play on Chinaman's, it's so close to camp even a long day would be fine and a run up Iron Chest, I've never done that one.

I would vote for later August due to the high potential of another trip in mid July that we may have repairs from
I agree with Adrian also his trail comments. Except when I looked at Iron Chest this summer. It was way out of my league. It was littered with very large rocks that were very loose. It's looked like 35" territory and massive armor required. Damage likely.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with Adrian also his trail comments. Except when I looked at Iron Chest this summer. It was way out of my league. It was littered with very large rocks that were very loose. It's looked like 35" territory and massive armor required. Damage likely.
So it's fixed and better than before? Cool, I should be turnin' 35's with a crawler by then so Sounds like a good Sunday trail for a very small group of rigs.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:05 PM

So it's fixed and better than before? Cool, I should be turnin' 35's with a crawler by then so Sounds like a good Sunday trail for a very small group of rigs.
Wow! 35's and a crawler. So much for you and I having similar equipped rigs. You go...

By the way, from what I hear the Avalanche Ranch targets the extreme guys. Unlike other parks that have less difficult courses and options. One of the guys in Rising Sun is trying to opening a 4x4 park in Idaho Springs (west of Denver). Now that would be cool.