Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO: Webster Pass, Radical Hill, Santa Fe Peak and Glacier Ridge

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up CO: Webster Pass, Radical Hill, Santa Fe Peak and Glacier Ridge

After Alan and I departed from CO4RJ on Sunday morning, we headed off for some of the Webster Pass area trails and kind of gave them a pre-run as I am planning on running these again with the group getting together for Ric's venture into the state (read: "Denver people" thread) next weekend. The weather was absolutely awesome yesterday. The heavy clouds we had were just unbelievable as far as the excellent pictures they provided and just the incredible experience from roaming around 12,000' for much of the day. Sure, there's something to be said for clear blue sky days, but the day we had on Sunday was sheer bliss.

Often times, we were in the quick moving clouds with very limited visibility. By the end of the Glacier Ridge trail, the clouds were really breaking up and views down to Dillon Reservoir were to be had. Today may very well have been the first snowfall as well for the higer elevations starting around 13,000'.

All the rest of the images will be posted on my site at some point along with full trail reports.

Almost atop Webster Pass with the end of the Red Cone trail coming down from the right

Heading up Radical Hill

On the Radical Hill summit

Along the Santa Fe Peak trail
Old 08-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Part 2

Santa Fe Peak trail

Glacier Ridge trail

Glacier Ridge trail

Glacier Ridge trail
Old 08-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Great pics, Darren!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:48 AM

great pics darren! i wish we had landscape like that here in so cal that wasn't closed off to vehicles.

on a side note,

i have been searching for post regarding aux lighting until i read about it on your site. i currently have 4 hella 500's, 55w ea, and wanted to run a couple more, but people have been telling me that would be too much for the alternator. my question is: have you been running all 8 of your foreward facing lights at the same time? do you notice any of the lights dimming when the truck is at idle? thanks, any info you have regarding the lighting would help out a lot.

again, great pics!

scott
Old 08-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Darren,

Awesome pics from Webster Pass. Looks like Alan's rig is stock, so I could probably make it up there as well. What are the plans for next weekend? Would like to go along if possible.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! We have a lot of sweet pictures from this run yesterday. We were pretty much in awe the whole time.

Scott, yes, I've run all my front-facing lights on at the same time. I've run all of them at the same time, in fact, even when I had the two stog fogs in the OEM bumper. Granted, I never run with my back lights on unless I want to see dust flying or what not. But the side ones and everything in front of those I do quite a bit. I checked with one other gentleman before I bought my UFO package to get an idea if what I was wanting to run was going to work or not. But no, I have no dimming or anything of the sort. My KC's are 55 watts each and the PIAAs are 85. So, that's 50.8 amps just in auxiliary lighting. I normally try to have all other extras off like the AC or the radio, but have even run with those on quite a bit as well. I think you'd be fine to add a couple more if you're wanting to head in that direction. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Rich, Alan has a lift and a TJM bumper. However, you could absolutely make it up to these places with zero problem. Ric will be stock as well, though he has the locker and sits a little higher stock than what we did and do. You would probably be able to leave your running boards on, but there is one spot on Radical Hill which may want to have a bite to eat. I would recommend removing them just to be safe though. We'd love to have you join. I've yet to finalize our route as I need to plan for Ric staying in a motel, while the rest of us camp some place. See ya tonight!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Good deal, although it's a choice between wheeling and installing my new supercharger. Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-18-2003, 07:25 PM

Are you running those trails again next weekend? I'm not sure of our plans but I'd love to run those trails again if you are.

Keep me informed...

John
Old 08-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Yes. We'd love to have you along. Follow the "Denver People" thread for updates. Everyone's pictures from the run you did last year, which I missed, really inspired me to do these trails as I had not been previously. No kidding. Now I have my own pictures to look at to do the same.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:35 AM

We'd love to come,l but will be camping in Nebraska.

Have fun!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Part I

My turn! My turn!

Looking back at the intersection of Webster and Red Cone.

More on the way
Old 08-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

PART II

On Glacier Ridge. If I remember correctly, I think the only words we were able to speak were "wow", "spectacular", and "amazing."

I think this one is my favorite:

You can view the rest of my photos here.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Re: PART II

Originally posted by HaveBlue
If I remember correctly, I think the only words we were able to speak were "wow", "spectacular", and "amazing."
Other times, I was unable to get any words out whatsoever. Totally speechless. That day was a classic and one that will be tough to forget.

Great images, Alan! I'm glad we were able to capture much of what we saw.