Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Big Bear trail run Aug 7th-8th!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Bear trail run Aug 7th-8th!!

Ok, figured it needed its own thread not everyone may see it on the other one. I'm not sure of the trails up there, but a couple of the guys going so far do, so I'll trust their judgement. Anyway, these are the dates we've come up with, everything else is still undecided. I'll be camping in one of the local campgrounds, there are motels nearby also. Things that still need to be ironed out are:
Trail runs on both days? -- I would like to, just to explore as much as possible, this will be my first time wheelin' in the area.
2 different groups (stock&better than stock)? -- depends on how many people come. So far we seem to all be better than stock.
Bruce gone wild? -- only if we're lucky
I hope to see alot of the people that made the last Ocotillo trip in March. Also some new faces would be great! --Robert
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

One camping spot would be Holcomb Valley camp site which is located dead smack in the middle of all of the trails. Getting to this trail is relatively easy and you can do it w/ a stock vehicle (literally I mean Civic n all... not safe but I have seen a few civ's out there...)

Now we can do a variety of trails out there (some of which I have never done so I can't really say).

This is what I have done when I just had 285's and a 3" lift w/ sliders (front bumper only): White Mountain from 3N77 at 3N16 -> Horse Springs. Definitely need sliders and a lift w/ decent tires. A few tricky areas but w/ some direction it should be good.

For the adventurous: (The last bear run that Bruce and I did)
John Bull Flat (3N02 loop from 3N16)
Holcomb Creek (3N93 ->2N06X -> 3N16)

Moderate loops:
White Mountain (3N17)
3N61 Loop

Easy:
3N16
3N14
etc etc, I'll have to read up on these trails to see what will be fun

I know there are other trails just outside of Bear as well so I'm pretty certain we'll all be able to find some cool trails to hit up there.

Last edited by Good Times; 07-17-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Ok, figured it needed its own thread not everyone may see it on the other one. I'm not sure of the trails up there, but a couple of the guys going so far do, so I'll trust their judgement. Anyway, these are the dates we've come up with, everything else is still undecided. I'll be camping in one of the local campgrounds, there are motels nearby also. Things that still need to be ironed out are:
Trail runs on both days? -- I would like to, just to explore as much as possible, this will be my first time wheelin' in the area.
2 different groups (stock&better than stock)? -- depends on how many people come. So far we seem to all be better than stock.
Bruce gone wild? -- only if we're lucky
I hope to see alot of the people that made the last Ocotillo trip in March. Also some new faces would be great! --Robert

There are several options including (1) locked prerunners and stock 4x4's and (2) 33's plus locker and rocker protection or better.

Lot's of fireroads and old mine sites to explore...

I would like to make my first run with the guys from this board. I hope I can go.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Banned

I may actually come out for this one. I should have my tires and wheels and maybe even rock sliders by then ... so for the time being, count me in!!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:23 PM

I talked to Phalanx(josh) today, he said he will make this trip. He's offline for a bit right now, but will probably post here soon. So far that makes about 5 going right now.

calamari-did you mean that some of the trails are only for trucks w/lockers,33's, sliders,etc..?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be able to make this trip, so I can Trailmaster for a few of the more difficult runs.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry I cant make this one. Work sucks
Old 07-06-2004, 09:08 PM

Count me in... I think to make it fun for everyone, we should have two levels. easy-medium runs. hard-bodydamage runs.

Anyways, I'll be bringing up my mtn bike and (possibly) kayaks. Might as well make it a complete weekend . Figure if I can't drive some of the trails, I can follow along with my mtn bike
Old 07-06-2004, 09:10 PM

A lot of jeep clubs hold their runs up in big bear. Last few time we came up there, we ran into them. About time, we have a Toyota jamboree.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
I talked to Phalanx(josh) today, he said he will make this trip. He's offline for a bit right now, but will probably post here soon. So far that makes about 5 going right now.

calamari-did you mean that some of the trails are only for trucks w/lockers,33's, sliders,etc..?
At least one of the popular trails is best left to vehicles with 33's and rear locker plus sliders. There are lots of fireroads for prerunners and stock 4x4's plus some medium stuff for people with some mods.

I've only wheeled there once and only on the easy stuff. Sounds like a few of the guys here have more experience up there than I do
Old 07-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Contributing Member

this sounds like fun, i think i'm gonna be able to make this one.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:29 AM

Perhaps we can get a group camp up there; if people are up to it?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:08 AM

I'll ante up for this, but with my luck thus far, I can't say it'll pan out.

I'd be in the easy/moderate group.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:09 PM

I am almost sure i'm out on this one. i've been wanting to do big bear for along time but i will probably have a new baby boy around that time
Old 07-07-2004, 06:42 PM

No prob, Mikey. I think it will be fun, so I'll definitely want to go back. That's why I want to go and learn the trails, so we can cruise back soon. Congrats on the baby boy!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:51 PM

i'm folding on this.

4runner won't be done and i doubt i'd be pleasant company anyway.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:26 PM

I may consider joining you guys on Aug 7. I need to pre-run White Mountain before our TTORA later in the month. Anybody else want to tackle that trail with me?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ShowStop
I may consider joining you guys on Aug 7. I need to pre-run White Mountain before our TTORA later in the month. Anybody else want to tackle that trail with me?
I'm sure we can fit it in......
Old 07-10-2004, 09:12 PM

Goodtimes...

The Holcomb Creek trail you are talking about...you went in the back way. Up mogul hill, skipping the main rock garden and going down through the other one, Correct?

I did that before my lift and sliders. Needless to say I made friends with a few rocks.

I have been up there a couple of times. And there are roads all over the place. You have to check with the Forest Service though, I think the area from Crab Flats (??) west is closed. Because of the fires last October.

We went up last week and tried to go from Lake Arrowhead to Green Valley Lake , but got shut down. Still smelled like burnt wood. Sad.

I really want to go...But I am not too sure. I will be a late/last minute addition if I come. Or maybe even come up for only one day. HMMMMMMM
Old 07-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

This is tempting. So would I be fit for some of the trails with my truck? I'm a 2wd Prerunner, I should have my locker installed by then....
Bah, cant get my hopes up....it'll be hard to get the time off work. We'll see...

Quick Reply: Big Bear trail run Aug 7th-8th!!