Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I really want that 4runner
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Go for it!

I was thinking about it... but I had a little $1,000+ issue arise. I thought my house came with a full 500 gallon tank of propane, but evidently the guy that sold me the house didn't own the propane in the first place, so the gas company came a knocking.

Oh... and Cory refused to sell it to me for less than he paid for it
Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cargun
I was thinking about it... but I had a little $1,000+ issue arise. I thought my house came with a full 500 gallon tank of propane, but evidently the guy that sold me the house didn't own the propane in the first place, so the gas company came a knocking.
That sucks man...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I finished cleaning up the outside for the most part... here are some good before and afters:

(sorry for the blurryness.... )

Last edited by colsoncj; 11-14-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Also an update on the motor... The bottom end is ready for rods and pistons (which are almost ready to go....) and the head should be done this weekend. I hope to have the motor together by Thanksgiving!

Transmission looks like its going to be a 5spd, but I'm not too sure if its going to be a G52 or a W56... Will know more as soon as I pull it out of the parts truck.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 AM

I'd try and find a W56 so you don't have to notch the floor pan.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Update on the 85: I started tearing out the interior to spruce it up. Here it is taking out the seats:

Heres after vacuuming up all the crap and pulling up the vinyl floor:

And the back after a vacuum:

The back after pulling up the floor and taking out the seat bottom:

All the stuff out:

Also figured out this was a utility model, not a passenger model. The back side panels dont have knockouts for the rear seat back clips, nor does it have the bracketry for the seat back.

Right now I'm working on gutting the entire interior to clean up inside the truck and inspect the operation of everything. Soon as its all good, all the interior parts will get a thorough cleaning and be reinstalled!

Last edited by colsoncj; 11-28-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Clean up looks good, I need to get another project.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks!

I got some more done today, and I plan on working on it tomorrow. Should have some more pics later this weekend.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Well I got all the side panels off and got most of the dash stuff gutted. Here are some pics of the dash:

And I found another use for a suburban, mobile storage facility:
Old 12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Well, today was not a good day in history of this project... I ran into a large conceptual/compatibility problem. Apparently there are some HUGE differences between an 84 carbed truck and an 85 fuel injected 4Runner. Huge enough that I'm now rethinking my plan. I made some assumptions, and we all know what it means when you assume.

For starters, I'm accustomed to the 85 and later fuel injected systems, so thats what I was basing my thinking and assumptions off of. In those systems you can seperate the engine harness from the body harness by the ECU in the passenger side footwell. Heres where it goes south: In an 84 style (and possibly other carbed vehicles) you cant. Its like the body harness and engine harness are all wrapped into one. On a side note, all carbed vehicles apparently dont have the hole in the firewall for the fuel injection engine harness either, but thats no big deal becuase we were going from fuel injection to carburation. Anyway, from my looking and comparing and looking and comparing and scratching my head, a few choice words, looking and comparing some more, I've deduced that it would be a huge pain in the butt to convert this fuel injected 4runner to carbureted. It would entail one of two methods:

1. just jimmy rig it and get it to work long enough to get it out of the driveway. This would mean leave the fuel injected harness in it, and just find the leads for the oil pressure, water temp, and power for the carb.
2. Remove all wiring in the vehicle (and I mean ALL), and convert it over.

Now I cant do #1, cause it just wouldnt feel right. The check engine light would stay on all the time reminding the new owner that his or her "new to them" vehicle has been jimmy rigged just long enough for them to get suckered into buying it.

Now with #2, I dont have a full carbed harness for a 4Runner. Got 2 for a pickup, but no runner. And I'm pretty sure they are different. So, I could just merge them together, but frankly I think by the time that was done I would have wished I didnt have a conscience and went with option 1.

SO.... heres what I've come up with for now. I have a SD laser engine sitting in the pickup I was going to keep. I dont think its that far from running. The thought is, get it spinning, see if it might run. If it runs (or at least spins, pull it out and put it in the runner and convert it from carbed to fuel injection. Then take the nice pretty new carbed motor I was building for the runner and put it in the 84 pickup. That way no screwing with wiring harnesses, and both trucks stay the way they were meant to be from the factory. Good for the runner, bad for the pickup. Oh well.

If someone knows something I'm overlooking, please let me know... I've kinda got tunnel vision on the whole deal cause I've been tinkering with it for so long.

Last edited by colsoncj; 12-01-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Does this mean you don't need a pic of my ECM?

Do you have enough crap laying around to convert to FI for both rigs?

What is a SD laser engine?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a big project haha.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Does this mean you don't need a pic of my ECM?
Yes, I'm good now...

Do you have enough crap laying around to convert to FI for both rigs?
Nope. Dont have 2 fuel injection capable motors, just one. would need at least a head, if not a whole other longblock

What is a SD laser engine?
SD = short deck.
Laser = SD = short deck.

Laser or SD are interchangable. It denotes an engine made in 85 or later which has a shorter deck height, a different head, different timing chain length, provisions for a knock sensor, and easily are converted to FI.

Its opposite would be a TD or tall deck block, made in 84 and earlier. These dont have the provision for a knock sensor, have a longer timing chain, and a different head.

All TDs were carbed with the exception of some celica 22Rs. SDs came in both varieties. To convert a TD to FI you need to machine for the knock sensor, get a dual bolt pattern TD head, cross your fingers, and convert. Or just go get a FI system from a celica which doesnt have a knock sensor.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Since you have the 4Runner pretty much gutted, I'd POR-15 it, just a thought.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ADH8796
Sounds like a big project haha.
Actually its not any bigger than it was, just different.....
Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fastkevman
Since you have the 4Runner pretty much gutted, I'd POR-15 it, just a thought.
It would just be the interior... IMO not too critical... plus I'm not keepin the rig and it would just add to the cost, something I couldnt justify.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 AM

I thought that short block we got in St. Louis was as FI block. Or is that the one you have and you didn't get any short decks with this purchase?

Yeah, if that complete engine I had was a short deck instead of a tall deck I could have sold it 12 times in the first week I listed it.

Wouldn't it be sweet if all you had to do to keep a Toyota from rusting was POR15 the interior? Unfortunately by the time your interior starts rusting the rest of the truck has already fallen apart.

Last edited by Cargun; 12-04-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

I dunno about that short block... I can check it, but it doesnt matter, Ive got a SD complete motor in that 84, I'll just use it in the 85 and the motor I was building, just put it in the 84.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
I dunno about that short block... I can check it, but it doesnt matter, Ive got a SD complete motor in that 84, I'll just use it in the 85 and the motor I was building, just put it in the 84.
Propane the 84?

Quick Reply: New Trucks