4ROC This forum is for the discussion of a world wide 4Runner Club with separate chapters for each state

Website

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Website

I havent heard anyone mention this in a while, what did 4roc drop off the planet?

I took the liberty and snagged 4roc.org... Ill work on it some more...

links to the various sites will be like most clubs...

eg. ca.4roc.org for california... blah blah...

I havent decided on any kind of fees to help me out, right now Im just interested in getting this rolling, since no one actually did it yet.

and whats up with 4roc.com? did someone here reg it and just not set it up?

More details later...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: 4roc.com, Nope, some other person has had it for a while; unrelated to us unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

VA is looking for progress of some sort. Have a poll going on course of action. Personally I feel independent sites may create some progress, maybe later there will be enough cohesion between us. I feel anything is better than waiting with nothing.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:14 AM

Got alittle rust on your logo... =)

Hey individual sites are fine... but frankly if you can throw them in some sub directory of a site someone owns or even a free server site it doesnt matter... I can always redirect "va.4roc.org" to "www.someserver.com/~joesmoe/ourlocal4rocclub/" see what Im saying? the main 4roc site really is a goto all main directory of all the subsets... heck I even prolley plan on redirecting all the forums to this one, just because yotatech rocks and already has established forums for 4roc... maybe down the road we might make our own forums, but why do it now?

BTW it takes about 24-48 hours for my domain to propagate through... so if your wondering why the site is down.. thats why.

The Server is on my Dual PIII Xeon, unfort. its on my lame 768x128K DSL line, and hopefully within a few weeks will be moved to my brothers 640x640 line, and I already have my dual 1ghz machine with a mirrored 120gb drives and a 180gb main drive put together for the replacement of my dual Xeon, which will prolley remain in service as a non-4roc webserver... (Im currently hosting 4 or so sites)
Old 08-26-2003, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

At the moment I am considering buyng several domain names, felt I could pick up va4roc and redirect them all to subdomains on one host. Considering buying my own server but that would take much longer to get finsihed with.
The problem with current VA test site is the pop ups are horrible, just want to get it somewhere with some room to grow and no ads or code added. Otherwise not picky, but would be cool to get some kindof subdomain system.
I'm cool with VA.4ROC.ORG or any deal to keep the chapters together but I don't think that is possible unless someone high up at Yotatech pulls some benevolent dictatorship and makes the decision for all of us. As long as my fellow Virginians have no objections I would volunteer VA for any testbed subdomaining.
Let just get some progress.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

I took the liberty and snagged 4roc.org...
I thought denverbikeguy got 4roc.org?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:22 PM

Aparently when he said I will get it tomorrow back in Jan.... =) he didn't mention tomorrow never comes... lol

no hard feelings, just felt tired of waiting...

whats your current va website URL at, we can try a subdomain redirect....

After my domain name gets setup.....
Old 08-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

whats your current va website URL at, we can try a subdomain redirect....
Don't use it, tripod puts pop up code on each page, you would be transferring that too.
he didn't mention tomorrow never comes...
Been that long eh? We screw it, let's just roll with it. If we don't come up with a subdomain VA appears ready to buy our own domain.
If you wanna set it up just to test, we can work out the fees later when we're ready for everybody else. Lemme know what I can do.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:52 PM

Heh... didn't realized DBG was getting the domain name yesterday... I registered this morning.... dunno im sure he will chime in soon and ask me about it. but anyways....

Well first of all I have to wait about 24-48 hours for name server listings to propagate through the internet, so I can get my domain name working, its purchased, just not active.

Secondly to clarify you post.... are you looking for me to host the websites on my server? Just need clarifications...

I can host all of the websites on my server... this would just mean I will have to definately plan this out a bit more... for things like how to allow for webmasters to update their page w/o touching other regions websites... which is possible...

the ideal situation is for each region to have a site somewhere already on a server.. they don't need any fancy domain name... heck i've redirected to students folders on University computers... and I can have a third-level domain forward to that address...

for example...

typing in va.4roc.org would direct that person to your site at http://dbtestsite.tripod.com which I am aware of the popups and that won't be your permanent spot, but you understand what I mean, you don't know anyone with a website you can piggyback off of?

In anycase I will go ahead and try to plan that I will host each region on my server *gulp* which is not usually a problem, just the logistics of backups and disk space... gets me queezy...

Ill check it out all of my options and ill let you know when Im ready to need a test subject for the first regional site...

ohhh when hobbies turn into jobs...

Last edited by Ducky; 08-26-2003 at 01:11 PM.