4ROC This forum is for the discussion of a world wide 4Runner Club with separate chapters for each state

Web Hosting Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I will put my responses in-line with your questions...

Originally posted by mpulver
denverbikeguy;

This is most generous of you! Thank you!

I have some more questions down the lines of where Scottiac was going.

1. To support Scottiac's asking about PHP and MySQL, I know that the WA chapter wants to have a local BBS. Most of the current ones are PHP scripts.

Like a forum program? Yeah. We do provide PHPBB as an option (where we keep it upgraded, etc - you still moderate your own forums), or you can do it yourself though we do require that you keep the code up to date for security purposes. Other forum packages can be used but I'd want to talk with you about your intentions there.

2. Will you allow local shell access?

Generally, no. There would have to be a very good reason for it; since it's an additional security risk (that's a top priority with our services) shell access is extremely limited. This is a shared server as well, hence the reason for that.

3. Any support for simple mailing llists, or with a "yes" answer for #2, then can we install a simple list ourselves?

Mailing lists are ok; many forum packages also allow for a 'mass email' feature of the members which can often aleviate the need for another separate list. With additional portal packages like PHPnuke you can make quite a powerful site this way.

4. How do you feel about anon FTP?

I'm not wild about it. What were you thinking you'd need it for?

5. If we wanted a bit more disk space, (say, a couple of gig if we're going to run a BBS) can we pay you for it?

Additional space is available. Also forum packages include use of the MySQL server space necessary for the forum to run. If you add things like file uploads and what not, that would count against your space limit. Note that we do not currently implement a hard quota system, since it creates problems. Instead, your utiliztion is just passively monitored and accounted for accordingly - if you go over we won't cut you off hard like a lot of places will.

Thank you!

Mark
Thank you as well! Hopefully this answers your questions. I'm pretty flexible, I am also just paranoid security-wise so both myself and my business partner make sure nothing will create undue risk to the systems we have to run. This benefits everyone however since we don't have a lot of the security-related issues some web hosting companies seem to.

We're also getting some additional bandwidth installed Monday, so 4roc.org will be the first site I put on that. From there we can go about getting chapters' sites running.

Last edited by denverbikeguy; 08-13-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DBG! You're back!!!

YAY!

Lemme comment on your comments, but not in-line - I think the post would end up too large.

- PHPBB would be great! Will the local chapters have access to manage their own configuration?

- Not allowing shell access is understandable. The thought came from thinking that if you didn't have a forum program available, then I'd want to get in and install one myself.

- I haven't seen PHPnuke, but the need for a private mailing list isn't that strong so I'd forego the whole idea.

- I was thinking that anon FTP could facilitate people uploading pics, diagrams, sound bytes, etc. But, in retrospect, that's all a bad idea and just eats away at your server space.

- Cool on the additional space and no hard-limit rule. I agree that quota systems cause more hassles than they fix.

One additonal question...

I trust that the local chapters will be able to maintain their own web pages through private FTP?

So, to recap, you're about to host 4roc.org, and are willing to lease space/bandwidth to local chapters. As a bottom line, what would you charge per month for wa.4roc.org, including PHPBB configured for, say, 100 users.

And most importantly... How soon can we get on?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 08-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Ohhkay... Back once again. That was by far the ˟˟˟˟tiest week I've had in a while, sorry for the lack of response from my end.

To answer:

- Local chapters can manage their own PHPBB config. If you expect us to manage the board software (might be best, we can probably keep them updated a lot easier than if everyone does it themselves) we will need an admin account. Also we ask that you not touch the database configs, but the forums/users/whatever else are fair game.

- Regarding uploading pics and stuff, what about a PHP app that serves the same function, that way it's web driven and you don't need to worry about FTP clients screwing up and what not?

- Chapters will have full control of their webspace. I'm going to try and set up a web-based file tool for that as well. So far that is going well, should know more in about a week on what we want to use. There are a lot of free scripts out there that are great, it's just picking the one that is best for us that is the challenge.

- I have registered 4roc.org this afternoon, expect to have it propogate within 48 hours or so. Once that happens I can start setting up chapter sites.

- I will get back to you on the cost, I can't remember off the top of my head just now.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

WTF... I checked yesterday, domain was available. I registered it, now this comes up in the whois:

Domain ID99695462-LROR
Domain Name:4ROC.ORG
Created On:26-Aug-2003 16:34:03 UTC
Expiration Date:26-Aug-2004 16:34:03 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R39-LROR
Registrant ID:CA5A686FAD01964B
Registrant Name:jonathan sherman
Registrant Street1:123 Somplace
Registrant City:Sometown
Registrant Postal Code:98155
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Email:ebay@cryostasis.com
Admin ID:CA5A686FAD01964B
Admin Name:jonathan sherman
Admin Street1:123 Somplace
Admin City:Sometown
Admin Postal Code:98155
Admin Country:US
Admin Email:ebay@cryostasis.com
Billing ID:CA5A686FAD01964B
Billing Name:jonathan sherman
Billing Street1:123 Somplace
Billing City:Sometown
Billing Postal Code:98155
Billing Country:US
Billing Email:ebay@cryostasis.com
Tech ID:CA5A686FAD01964B
Tech Name:jonathan sherman
Tech Street1:123 Somplace
Tech City:Sometown
Tech Postal Code:98155
Tech Country:US
Tech Email:ebay@cryostasis.com
Name ServerNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name ServerNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name ServerNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name ServerNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name ServerNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM

who the hell is this guy?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:59 PM

Well its me... sorta... not my name or info, but I registered it.

I took the initiative since it was taking so long.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=16444
Old 08-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I was holding off while we got some details sorted out along with my life...

So what's the plan now? My server's ready to go but it seems we're crossing paths here.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:38 PM

mkay

Well, if you are actually going to be doing it.... I can hand you the login to the server with the settings and you can do what you like... but I cant just re reg it to you...

If your taking it I would like to be reimbursed for the fee though... otherwise just let me know what ip your server is at and I can redirect the domain name to it...

Is your server already setup for what you want to achieve, IE, Portal software.. what do you plan on running etc?

My status is my new server is now OS installed, and portal software being installed. Finally got the server to take the 180gb drive... stupid 137gb limit.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:46 PM

bout time we got all this stuff figured out. i know the washington site will definetly be on your server. thanks for going ahead and registering the name ducky!
Old 08-28-2003, 05:50 PM

after not paying attention to the button... hrm, anyways.. yea just got to figgure out who will have control of the main site (other website thread), I can whip something for Washington together why not lol...