FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

I need your opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need your opinions!

My brother is looking to buy a new 2012 FJ Cruiser and asked about the pros and cons. I was hoping to get it right from the best source possible, owners and other experienced people!

He isn't likely going to be rock crawling in it, just using it for regular camping, towing, hauling loads and normal stuff like that. He does live in Canada where there are lots of places to end up off-road or in the snow very easily so the 4WD characteristics are a big factor, even on a routine trip somewhere, but he probably will keep everything stock. One thing he was interested in was customizing the body a bit, are there after-market add-ons for superficial body work?

I know some of the pro's, that it is generally considered a very good 4WD right out of the box, and I haven't found anything bad online yet except from people who don't like the IFS, transfer case gear ratio, and a few other features that are probably too advanced to worry about in this case.

-Is it very reliable?
-Will it be fairly cheap to fix compared to a Volvo, Land Rover, Jeep, Mercedes, etc?
-Does it get the fuel mileage it says on the sticker, (I think 18-20MPG or something advertised.)
-Is there an alternative you would recommend for more of a daily driver SUV? Hopefully still Toyota!
-Will he be able to keep this for ten or twenty years if he wants with no real problem?
-How is it at towing?
-Is there anything he should ask for or get from the dealer right away, such as different variants or add-ons?
-Do they make a diesel version? If so is it worth it?
-Does it fit through the drive-through at Starbucks?

Just kidding on that last one, I read the thread comparing the FJ to Jeeps and it seemed that the soccer mom comparison kept getting brought up...Couldn't resist the dig.

Thanks for all the help! I love Land Cruisers so I'd love for my brother to carry on the tradition but I need to make sure it's the right fit.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
It is a Toyota :)

[QUOTE=ChuckDelta;51964768]...He isn't likely going to be rock crawling in it, just using it for regular camping, towing, hauling loads and normal stuff like that...lots of places to end up off-road or in the snow very easily so the 4WD characteristics are a big factor
If one plans to use an SUV really as a an SUV and not as a Soccer-Mom Utility Vehicle, one should get a 4WD. I live in San Diego but when I drove my 2WD XTerra (RIP) on dirt roads (Not rock crawling) and it rained, I got stuck.

... people who don't like the IFS, transfer case gear ratio, and a few other features that are probably too advanced to worry about in this case.
For general duty off-roading, no rock crawling, IFS should be OK, right folks?

-Is it very reliable?

Heck yeah; it is a Toyota
-Will it be fairly cheap to fix compared to a Volvo, Land Rover, Jeep, Mercedes, etc?
Heck yeah, and more reliable; It is a Toyota

-Is there an alternative you would recommend for more of a daily driver SUV? Hopefully still Toyota!
What else? Toyota 4Runner . I think the new 4Runners offer more creature comfort, but the FJ Cruiser handles rugged terrain better. If I could afford it, I'd buy an FJ (I only wish it had a more classic style- Like the 80 series LC)

-Will he be able to keep this for ten or twenty years if he wants with no real problem?
Heck yeah, it is a Toyota
Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the options on the FJ is a rear locker, so for normal not so difficult offroading, the FJ will do awesome and he will most likely never need anything more unless he starts running more technical trails.

The Toyota will be much cheaper to maintain then the Volvo, Mercedes and Land Rover. For the Jeep, that may be a bit cheaper since it is a domestic vehicle and parts are widely available for them.

Overall, I love the FJ and would recommend it, I have never been in one offroad or seen one in person offroad, but my 3rd gen 4runner with E-locker does pretty well. I have driven the FJ on the road and I think its a pretty cool SUV if its the kind of vehicle you are looking for.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
And let's not forget maintenance !!! Most people that I know that have cursed a yota are the idiots that think it will just run forever and they don't have to do anything to it.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 AM

I was definitely thinking about the maintenance schedule and how much the routine preventative things will cost...I'm guessing that will be fairly reasonable though because there are Toyota dealerships everywhere and buying it new it'll probably be 30,000 miles here, 50,000 miles there, and not an ongoing project (like my truck is.)

I guess I don't trust new vehicles though for some reason. I feel like nowadays if a valve or seal or hose or something is meant to last 30,000 miles than it goes out after 20,000, whereas it used to be it would last over its expected lifespan...Toyota has a reputation for things lasting longer than they are meant to but I don't know if that has carried over to the brand new vehicles?

As long as things don't start breaking right away on the FJ Cruiser, and the normal preventative stuff doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it should be good!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
FJC is a good vehicle. Personally I wouldn't buy one new and would rather buy one a year or two old if you could find one. It's a personal preference though to save on depreciation value, or perhaps get a Toyota Certified Used, then toss the extra $ saved into modifications

5th generation 4runner is also a great vehicle to buy new. I believe it shares the same platform as the FJC, just a different body. Plus, if he's towing he can get the v8 - or the Trail Edition if offroading more. It also has more space and 2 more doors to get people in.

Toyota still has a great reputation, but definitely has lost some build quality compared to 10-20 years go now that they outsource parts or build in different countries. Personally, if I knew the person could afford it, I would recommend them a late model 100-series Land Cruiser, like an 06/07. It's not a new vehicle though, but they are GREAT vehicles which im sure you already know being a Cruiser owner and comparing a Cruiser to the regular fleet is like comparing apples to oranges since its comparing a $70k vehicle to a $35k vehicle.

Last edited by highonpottery; 08-27-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery

Plus, if he's towing he can get the v8 -
Incorrect. Only 4th gens have a v8. 5th gens are only the 4.0L v6 found in the FJC, Tacoma and Tundras.
*The 2.7L 2TR-FE 4cyl was offered for the first year of 5th gens in 2wd only models, but was discontinued.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife has a '10 FJC, 2wd with rear e-locker. It gets 20mpg on the highway at 80mph. It gets synthetic oil (0w-20) every 5K miles. We bought it a year and a half ago with 7K miles on it, it now has 45K. Not one single problem. It starts every time and runs flawlessly. And for her pavement pounder, that's what counts to me. Someday I may have a 4wd to play with, but for now my '84 is great.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM

End up getting it?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Yeah, we traveled over to the mainland a few weeks ago and checked it out and he bought it! It is in great shape and runs perfectly. Now he is working on getting all the little things how he wants it. Here are some photos.

I love the fact that it's white because the roof matches the rest of the body.

His first job was to get new tires put on because the ones on it were almost smooth.

He also bought new bumper pieces for the front and back bumper and a new grill so it is all black now instead of black and silver. He wants to do the side mirrors and door handles next. We were able to take the bumper covers off ourselves and change those out.

He also got his in-dash DVD and GPS mounted so that looks and works great. The only problem is that this truck has an upgraded sound system with a big sub-woofer in the back, but the sub-woofer button on the dash doesn't seem to do anything. It's probably just not plugged in right or something.

We were hoping to take it off-roading with my FJ-60 and have some fun, but ran out of time, I'm heading back home today. Vancouver Island is great for that though if you ever get up here. 1/4 of the island is owned by logging companies so there is a network of back trails cris-crossing the whole island. There is a map book you can buy of all of them which makes it really easy to go from one city to another on a back trail.

We did take a road trip in it the other day to get out in the woods and go for a hike...The back was the perfect size for his bulldog which is one reason he was looking at them in the first place.
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ChuckDelta; 10-01-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM

I've had my FJC for 4 years and haven't had any problems. I'm a former Jeep owner and I'll be the first to admit that straight off the dealer lot the FJ will leave the Jeep in the dust. It'll out tow (5k vs 1.5k-lbs) the Jeep. As for gas mileage, my 08' 4wd auto gets an avg. of 17mpg. I've gotten 20mpg, but you have to drive like a 90 year old man and keep the tach under 2k rpm. It's not the most aerodynamic thing on the road.