FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Cruiser vs. Xterra

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJ Cruiser vs. Xterra

Which SUV do you think comes out on top in terms of power, performance and features between the FJ Cruiser and the Xterra? And as for the design, I prefer the Cruisers look to it's competitor, but beyond that - what really makes it stand out for you?

Toyota FJ Cruiser vs. Nissan Xterra

Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fj.. killer engine 6 speed or auto rear locker with atrac is amazing on the trails.. wash out interior.. and its a toyota!!

FJ CRUISER!

I LOVE TOP GEAR!!! AND THE STIG!!!!! HIT ME UP!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigt
fj.. killer engine 6 speed or auto rear locker with atrac is amazing on the trails.. wash out interior.. and its a toyota!!

FJ CRUISER!

I LOVE TOP GEAR!!! AND THE STIG!!!!! HIT ME UP!
I second what he said!

Plus there are WAY more aftermarket parts available for the FJ than an Xterra
Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 PM

xterras are alright, but i dont like the way they ride. it feels like a jeep, and after awhile that gets annoying.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:49 PM

why would you ask which is better on a toyota forum?

of corse we are going to say the toyota, we are biased here

if you want an unbiased answer, check out other forums, like maybe pirate 4x4, but be very carefull there, dont post, its scary there
Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Xterras are nice, but as a diehard Toyota owner on his 4th Toyota, I will say FJ

The FJ fits my lifestyle, and is everything I would ever want in a vehicle.

A happy contented owner

Sorry about the reflection off the legs in the last picture.
I do not tan easily, I burn.

Tons of aftermarket parts for the FJ Cruiser, and there is the heritage that the FJ Cruiser pays homage to.

FJ is bigger inside, at least that is what one of my sons says.
His stepdad had one of the newer bigger Xterras a few years back, and the first time he rode in mine he said it was bigger up front from the passenger seat.
His stepdad also like my rig over his Xterra.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

I have not driven an FJ, but I have sat in one...I was disappointed when Toyota came out with them...I was hoping they would be like the old FJ40...you know, more of a Jeep like size...appearance and with a removable top! I know Corey loves his, and I respect him...he is a good guy! I thought it had too many blind-spots and would be hard to see out of when trying to avoid body damage...though I know Corey disputes this Bottom line.....It is a Toyota so you can't go wrong.

As far as the Xterra goes...my sister has a first generation Xterra and I hate it...uncomfortable seats, weird seating position (like you are sitting on the floor), and poor ride. BUT! I have rented and '07 and an '08 for a week each on my Fall Colorado vacations and absolutely loved them. They ride better than my 2000 4Runner did new, are quiet inside (which was a surprise for a Nissan), the seats are extremely supportive and comfortable, and the seating position is perfect for me. We really enjoyed them on our trips and even took one of them to Lead King Basin near Crested Butte...gotta love a rental, eh!

I have had great luck with my Nissan's in the past...I have a '96 Altima with 155K miles and no problems so far except a bad knock sensor. The only negative I would say about the Xterra is it does have a lot of plastic on it which may start looking bad or get damaged.

Of course I am more open minded than most of the people on this forum...as long as it is Japanese, get what you like...

Look the Color I had even matched the beautiful trees...

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM

the wife and i looked at the xterra before we bought our accord and i liked it but it was difficult to get into the back seat with a child in a car seat
Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gatorblue92
the wife and i looked at the xterra before we bought our accord and i liked it but it was difficult to get into the back seat with a child in a car seat
Very good thing to look at if you have kids....and actually the main reason we bought our Sequoia. Though I can't imagine an FJ being easier??
Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

FJs are tight in the rear for passengers.
Many do put the kiddies in the rear with child seats, but it is tight, something to think about.

With my sons now being grown men, who needs rear seats.
More room for big boy toys

Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 AM

I guess it sort of depends on what you want to do with it... If all your after is a grocery getter than the FJ may not be the best especially if your after 4 (real) doors. But if you want a serious off-road rig that has factory lockers, advanced traction, lots of aftermarket extras, and still remains a good daily driver than the FJC is a good choice.

I've taken my FJC on all sorts of 4x4 trails and back roads as well as to and from work everyday... would not trade it for the world... But I don't through babies in car seats or spend a lot of time trying to fit a sheet of plywood in the back.

Good luck getting the rig that is right for you.

Last edited by lgrt; 05-16-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
FJ !!

This is a Toyota board btw, So I dont think many of us are going to say nissan..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Very well put LG.
If the FJ were not available, I would go for the 4 door Tacoma, and pretty much trick it out like this one.

If Toyota was no longer around, then I would consider the Xterra or the truck from Nissan.
But I am hooked on Toyota quality, been driving them since '86.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
V

Now THAT is COOL!!!

I just wish Toyota would make the 4Runner look cool again....

Mine should hold out a while, but if I had to look for something now I would either look at a Tacoma (though a truck is not real practical for me) or I would look elsewhere.

Another positive thing I will say for Nissan, at least in our area, their dealers service departments are head and shoulders above Toyota's. Our Toyota dealers are all idiots...they can't even get an alignment right...I almost bought a Nissan based on that alone (and I have tried 5 different dealers here over the years). I do have a great independent Toyota mechanic, but they can't do warranty work. Everytime our dealer did warranty work on our Sequoia they screwed something else up.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have had good luck with my local dealer, sorry to hear you had some trouble.

Oh, many more Tacomas with roof top tents here too.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f172...-tents-139672/
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

I bought the FJ and my buddy with his wrangler decided he wanted something a little more than a jeep, so he got the xterra. The biggest complaint I have about his is there is just a little more elbow room than the jeep. FJ's are very comfertable inside, and that compromises the width of trail you go down... well kinda... Only if you care about your paint and that being said, I have never had the width hold me back. The xterra claims to have more horses, right? But his truck is not faster off the line nor as managable on the road. I haven't yet ever felt like my FJ would tip where as the xterra feels a little more like the 95 and under 4Runner where it keeps you a bit nervous.

After reviewing and driving both, I am happy I stayed with Toyota. This FJ has had the steel bumpers put on, but has since hit 3 vehicles with no damage to my truck. I also do some urban offroading around downtown houston without any trouble... (For those unfamiliar, think baja but no dirt... just buildings and pavement.)
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 PM

from my personal experience, my mom recently got an 06 xterra and i dont like it. its small not too powerfull and a little to suburban, or passenger vehicle-ish (with a small backseat). on the other hand my girlfriends, gay boyfriend, recently let me drive his 08 fj for a 200+ mile trip other than having 35's on it, it was stock. all i can say is it was awesome. tons of power, really comfortable, even in the back. i could see it being difficult to maneuver a carseat in and out, but an adult can slide in fairly easy, it got better mileage than my 85 p/u. hauled on the freeway at around 90 mph it was completely controllable, and quiet . i didnt get it offroad but i could only imagine. the only complaint i had was the speedo was a little small. it was readable but the style and size was a little hard for me to adjust to. all in all i was in love with that fj. as much as i love my truck i would gladly poor gas all over it and burn it down for an fj.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 PM

On the mod and accessories front, here in the AZ (especially in the higher income areas) most of the Toy guys buy the Fjs and trick them out. Easily the most wheeled toyota here. Many more than the tacos and 4Runners. My friends father bought one as a tow rig for his dirtbikes and we've made that thing the sickest unit in town. If I had to buy a "new" car I'd definatly go with the FJ. I really hope they don't discontinue that line.. I have yet to actually see a newer XTerra on the trail here, but I have wheeled with a guy that had a older one and I liked the look of it alot more than the newer ones. It looked more or less designed to be an offroad truck. IDK how it was on the power front though.

Bottom Line: FJC!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kingbrian
from my personal experience, my mom recently got an 06 xterra and i dont like it. its small not too powerfull and a little to suburban, or passenger vehicle-ish (with a small backseat). on the other hand my girlfriends, gay boyfriend, recently let me drive his 08 fj for a 200+ mile trip other than having 35's on it, it was stock. all i can say is it was awesome. tons of power, really comfortable, even in the back. i could see it being difficult to maneuver a carseat in and out, but an adult can slide in fairly easy, it got better mileage than my 85 p/u. hauled on the freeway at around 90 miles per hour it was completely controllable, and quiet . i didnt get it offroad but i could only imagine. the only complaint i had was the speedo was a little small. it was readable but the style and size was a little hard for me to adjust to. all in all i was in love with that fj. as much as i love my truck i would gladly poor gas all over it and burn it down for an fj.
The ones I have rented had 4X the power of my 4Runner and the seat went back further then my 4Runner. I am 6'2" and it fit me fine. My only complaint is the lack of a carpet mat in the cargo area, everything slides around.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
The ones I have rented had 4X the power of my 4Runner and the seat went back further then my 4Runner. I am 6'2" and it fit me fine. My only complaint is the lack of a carpet mat in the cargo area, everything slides around.
well nissan does have that supercharged v-6, the one i drove it have that though. just off of nissans track record alone would make me lean towards toyota. im just a toyota guy i guess but the FJ is pretty bad ass in comparison to the xterra.

Quick Reply: FJ Cruiser vs. Xterra