93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Have you had a replacement windshield installed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you had a replacement windshield installed?

If so can you tell me the manufacturer's logo on the replacement windshield, how many miles you have put on your T since having the windshield replaced, and whether you have noticed any problems with it such as optical distortion, cracking too easily, or pitting too easily?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Bumping this to understand what prompted this question ... I'll be needing a new windshield as mine is cracked pretty badly, all from a little rock chip on I5. Anything to look out for when shopping for a replacement?

- not_a_taco
Old 07-12-2015, 04:47 AM

I need a new windshield too.

The replacement windshield business is very strange and I have gotten some poor quality ones. Maybe there is some reasoning to making them too soft, like this makes them more difficult to crack, but this seems to result in a lot of small pockmarks or "sandblasting." This is a real crapfest when facing the sun.

The T100 windshield is an FW739, but I haven't called around to see who offers this. I'm ready to reject Safelite/SGC, AP-Technoglass, and makes that are unknown to me. There is also a Chinese brand that I think I don't want.

One replacement windshield I got for my 5 series is from PPG/PGW, it has the PPG logo but was made in China. It has no pockmarks after 25k miles. My wife's car has an original Pilkington windshield, 200k miles on the car and very little damage. A replacement windshield I got made by Safelite is pure crap, after 40k miles or so it is in terrible shape. It passes the police safety inspection but is downright dangerous when I am facing this car towards the sun.

So unless I get some feedback from others, I am going to call around for quotes and ask them where they plan to get the glass from. Pilkington has a distribution center in my town and hopefully I will get one if I ask for it. Hopefully I can get that or PPG. I'm willing to try Crinamex too. All of the aftermarket windshields are made in different factories than OEM supply chain, but since these three companies do run volume production for carmakers (the glass in my truck is a mix of some Japanese brand and PPG, all with Toyota logos) I figure they know how to do it right, vs a factory like Safelite which has never supplied any OEM and simply copies (measurements etc.) whatever they can find in the wild.

Also note that I do not have a problem with safelite's installation services, I got my PPG windshield from them, I asked for it and they brought it and the guy actually let me do most of the work. You just have to be careful to not get a glass from their own factory.

Last edited by TDonkey; 07-12-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM

So I checked my windshield - it's a PPG Sunshade Solex Duplate Laminated Safety Float. Sounds like it could be OEM but I've only had my truck 1-1/2 years, so don't know if it was ever replaced. It has a few nicks and now one big crack that spread pretty quickly from a stone chip kicked up by a CRV. But not very pitted. Quite good if it's in fact an original 17 year old piece of glass. Our Japan-built Corolla had Pilkington glass, and our Japan-built Prius windshield says "Toyota AGC Automotive" and both held up very well. But our Japan-built FJ80 pitted pretty badly, I don't remember what glass it had.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 AM

This prompted me to go ahead and get a quote for my windshield; Safelite was cheapest but no mobile at that price, and their nearest shop is 50 miles away. So I called a local shop that will put in a Pilkington windshield for $280 at my house. The shop guy said that it's getting harder to find quality glass for some older vehicles but Pilkington or PPG for Toyotas is usually still available.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Cool! Thank you for the reports!

Original glass will show the Toyota logo along with the manufacturers info.

Aftermarket replacement glass usually shows the pattern number, such as FW739 for the T100 windshield.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Just a heads up from someone who has worked the auto glass industry for about a year, there are some brands that just hold up better. PPG and Pilkington are two of the best ones, and most widely used. They tend to take a bit more of a beating than some of the others, and I think it's due to the quality of laminate material used between the two panes. It's easy to determine after filling hundreds of rock chips, as the lower quality ones will often have issues with even filling cracks.

As far as windows leaking/noise from the windshield - this is generally due to either too much pressure in the cab after install (i.e. shutting the doors hard with the windows up). To prevent this simply crack the windows and shut the doors softly for the first 12-24 hours, and avoid carwashes for the same time frame.

The other cause could be a poor bond with the old and new urethane. If it's leading or whistling see your installer. DO NOT use silicone or other sealants to fix it yourself! It will only lead to future frustrations! Any glass shop worth their salt will warranty the install and fix it for you free of charge.

I hope this helps, I'm not sure what prompted the question, but I'm sure other people in the future may need this info. If you have any questions you are welcome to ask!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 AM

I got my new windshield installed today. I was amazed how cheap it was and I watched the tech install it curbside, and he seemed very thorough. The glass itself was about $130 and total bill with California tax was just over $240. There was quite a bit of rust under my cracked PPG glass, up at the header on driver and pass sides. The tech said it was not OEM glass, and the rust was typical on an older coastside Toyota, especially if the previous replacement didn't include any rust removal and priming. He did spend some time with a wire wheel and brushed on primer, plus a pre-coat of sealer in the rust holes, but I'm under no illusions this will be a permanent fix. He did offer to stop the job and let me take it to a body shop for a better repair but I chose to go through with it. The glass itself had a Pilkington sticker, but the actual markings printed on the glass are pretty generic ... DOT and the FW739, plus a CCC logo in an oval; I think that's the Chinese safety agency. We'll see how it holds up. The tech says he replaces a lot of older Toy truck glass, but he thought that's more because they're common,older and used a lot, rather than any weakness of replacement glass. My crack had in fact started from a chip,right near. The edge and he said those are guaranteed to propagate quickly and far.