General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring a 7mge coil to the 3vze harness

Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring a 7mge coil to the 3vze harness

ok, so i know this mod has been done (im waiting to hear back from the 2 members that i know have done it...but they havnt been active on the forum for a while)

from what ive been able to find, the black/red wire on 2 wire connector to the 3vze coil is the +, and the black/white is -. can someone please confirm this for me?

the issue im having is finding a wiring diagram for the 7mge that shows which of the 2 wires to the coil are + and -. the 7mge coil has a black wire and a white or yellow wire. unfortunately the diagrams i have seen, show the coil and ignitor in one box with 2 wires going between them, but no colour codes.

any help to get me wiring this thing up properly would be awesome guys!

also curious as to what needs to be done to get the coil-dizzy lead to fit. is there some sort of adaptor that can plug into the 3vze lead and then into the coil, or do i need to get the lead between the coil and dizzy from a 7mge cressida or supra? (the 3vze coil takes a 3-4mm pin in the lead, the 7mge coil takes a 10-12mm pin roughly)
Old 05-18-2016, 04:50 AM

well, i found the wiring info i needed after much google imaging. the brown/tan/creamy looking wire from the 7mge coil is the +, so this needs to be connected to the black/red wire from the 3vze coil harness.

still curious as to what lead or adaptor i need to go from the 7mge coil to the 3vze dizzy
Old 05-19-2016, 03:01 AM

ok...so ive got it all together now, the new 7mm eagle leads which arrived today have a larger fitting than the original leads, so they fit the new coil perfectly...but this in-turn, means that they dont fit in the dizzy cap, so the simple solution it to crimp them up until they fit nicely-its a bit of a time consuming process using pliers to roll the ends of the new leads into a tight coil so that they fit into the dizzy cap snugly, but it works none the less.

just has me baffled that the eagle leads which are designed to suit the 3vze DO NOT fit the factory dizzy cap without modification, sure...its not the end of the world, but its a pita. and number 5 lead was a little tight and should have been about 2" longer, if i had my time over, i would probably buy the ultra 8mm hipro leads next time.

at one stage i was thinking i had either been supplied the wrong leads, the wrong coil, or my car had the wrong dizzy. double checked the parts/part numbers and it was all correct. so there we go, that should be about all the info needed for anyone else who wants to tackle the coil upgrade. if ur not planning on upgrading the leads, u could possibly flare out the end of the original coil-dizzy lead, or grab a supra/cressida coil-dizzy lead and crimp the dizzy end so that it fits the 3vze cap.