General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSC/TRAC Andy Mod 2.0 Question

Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC/TRAC Andy Mod 2.0 Question

Need some advice. I have the AndyMod 2.0 done on my 01 4Runner. It was working fine...the VSC was overridden and both dash lights illuminated, which told me that the VSC/Trac were disabled. I went to swap out the bulbs, and now the lights don't stay on and the VSC/TRAC arent disabled anymore. Both the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC bulbs illuminate briefly upon startup of the truck, but don't stay lit. I also spun the tires on gravel yesterday and the orange slip indicator light came on when the tires slipped. The "VSC OFF" light DOES still come on when I use the center diff lock. Not sure if i'm looking at a wiring issue somewhere but don't get what pulling the gauge cluster out would screw with and why simply pulling the gauges frigged something up.

Update...checked the wiring everything was connected so I tried this......While the truck was running, I unplugged the connector from the computer, took off my switch and just left the wires dangling. The VSC and TRAC lights and the ABS lights on the dash illuminated. Plugged the connector back in, lights remained on. Then I shut the truck off and restarted it but now none of those lights remain on ...mind you, currently the red wire with the black tracer is just cut and not connected to anything so in theory, the VSC and TRAC SHOULD be disabled. Not sure whats going on here.

I posted this in the 3rd Gen section too, but figured I'd try here for an answer too.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It would be nice to know just what this Andy Mod 2 is??

Just because things are connected does not mean you have good connections

One should be real careful unplugging things when circuits are powered up
Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It would be nice to know just what this Andy Mod 2 is??

Just because things are connected does not mean you have good connections

One should be real careful unplugging things when circuits are powered up
Here's the Andy Mod I speak of...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...active-204623/

That being said, nothing right now is "connected". The wire is simply cut, which should disable the vsc/trac. I see no reason why pulling the gauges would effect the vsc that was working/disabled properly before the gauge pull. The vsc still functions as the factory intended it to in that when I lock the center diff, the vsc is disabled. The point of the Andy mod is to always have the vsc disabled...even when driving in 2wd mode.

Last edited by '01T4R; 04-14-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is one of those things you need to go wire by wire

With the EWD for your vehicle and any prints of what was done
Old 04-19-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by '01T4R
Need some advice. I have the AndyMod 2.0 done on my 01 4Runner. It was working fine...the VSC was overridden and both dash lights illuminated, which told me that the VSC/Trac were disabled. I went to swap out the bulbs, and now the lights don't stay on and the VSC/TRAC arent disabled anymore. Both the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC bulbs illuminate briefly upon startup of the truck, but don't stay lit. I also spun the tires on gravel yesterday and the orange slip indicator light came on when the tires slipped. The "VSC OFF" light DOES still come on when I use the center diff lock. Not sure if i'm looking at a wiring issue somewhere but don't get what pulling the gauge cluster out would screw with and why simply pulling the gauges frigged something up.

Update...checked the wiring everything was connected so I tried this......While the truck was running, I unplugged the connector from the computer, took off my switch and just left the wires dangling. The VSC and TRAC lights and the ABS lights on the dash illuminated. Plugged the connector back in, lights remained on. Then I shut the truck off and restarted it but now none of those lights remain on ...mind you, currently the red wire with the black tracer is just cut and not connected to anything so in theory, the VSC and TRAC SHOULD be disabled. Not sure whats going on here.

I posted this in the 3rd Gen section too, but figured I'd try here for an answer too.

BUMP...Anyone else have any thoughts? It's gotta be something simple im overlooking given the circumstances of when the issue started.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01T4R: I just read about your dilemma as I am starting a final search for updates to the Andy Mod before I do it on my truck. I've been putting it off for quite some time. So, my question is, did you resolve your problem or are you still in the weeds?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManyMods
01T4R: I just read about your dilemma as I am starting a final search for updates to the Andy Mod before I do it on my truck. I've been putting it off for quite some time. So, my question is, did you resolve your problem or are you still in the weeds?
I did figure it out....Ended up being that I cut the black with with red tracer INSTEAD of the correct red wire with black tracer. I still have no idea why the VSC was off with the wrong wire cut initially. But, the correct wire is cut now and the mod works as intended. In 2 words...DO IT!!! I like knowing that the stupid system isnt gonna take over when im in a skid or want all power to the wheels.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:23 AM

I did figure it out....Ended up being that I cut the black with with red tracer INSTEAD of the correct red wire with black tracer. I still have no idea why the VSC was off with the wrong wire cut initially. But, the correct wire is cut now and the mod works as intended. In 2 words...DO IT!!! I like knowing that the stupid system isnt gonna take over when im in a skid or want all power to the wheels.
Thank you for your quick response. I was on a long dirt road yesterday, switched into 4wd just to keep it active and the VSC activated constantly. I cannot wait to make the modification. What still confuses me, and I am ready either way, is which way is better -- splicing into the red/black wire at the master cylinder or the V18-3 red/black wire under the dash by the kick panel? What do you think? I only really want the VSC deactivated. Oh, and do the dash lights still come on either way?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:49 PM

Thank you for your quick response. I was on a long dirt road yesterday, switched into 4wd just to keep it active and the VSC activated constantly. I cannot wait to make the modification. What still confuses me, and I am ready either way, is which way is better -- splicing into the red/black wire at the master cylinder or the V18-3 red/black wire under the dash by the kick panel? What do you think? I only really want the VSC deactivated. Oh, and do the dash lights still come on either way?
I personally hit the V18-3 wire for a couple reasons. A. You dont have to run a wire through the firewall B. The under the dash you can simply cut the wire and enjoy no VSC...ORRRR you can splice into it and run a wire from there directly to your dash panel and mount a switch so that if you DO EVER want VSC, you can just flip the switch. Not sure what you mean by "do the dash lights come on either way" but with mine, when my switch is set to OFF, the VSC is off and the VSC/TRAC lights illuminate. When i turn the switch ON, the lights go off. If you just cut the wire and leave it rendering the VSC disabled permanently, you can always take the bulbs out of the dash so that theyre not lit up all the time. I like to have my dash light tell me it's off, but didnt like the orange light, so i put an led in there and put several layers of scotch tape with blue permanent marker on each layer so that i now have a VERY dim blue light instead of the obnoxious orange, but I can still see that my VSC is in fact de-activated. I removed the bulb for the VSC/TRAC light, but blued out the VSC OFF light so I just have the one. Does this make sense??
Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 AM

To 01T4R: Yes that makes sense and I like your OCD attention to detail regarding the dash lights. I am the same way and I will take a look at the dash light situation after I get the switch wired in. I have tons of wire and OEM type connectors left over from my days in an Impala SS club, so I should come up with something -- maybe a colored bulb skin could work. I already ran the 'Andy mod' wire through the firewall but I am glad I did not go further as I like this solution better. The switch was delivered via USPS to my post office yesterday and I will pick it up later today after a get back from a visit to a VA clinic off-Island. Thank you so much for holding my hand as I prepare for what should be a really simple modification.
BTW: the switch -- I bought two is from PARTS EXPRESS, PN 060-096, SPST, 15A 125 VAC - price: $1.59 ea. It looks identical to the OEM switches. I will try to upload a photo when I complete the job. Thank you again.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM

01T4R: Well, I completed the install including the VSC OFF and VSC/TRAC bulb color change. I used blue rubbers in order to change the yellow to green to match the dash “D” selector light. I have red, green and yellow bulb rubbers but I chose the blue and I like the result. I had to cut about 1/8” off of the rubber to get a good fit.The switch I bought is smaller than I thought it would be but it still has the same shape as the OE switch and I like it. I only had one slot left to install it in, as the one on the left is for my Porsche rear fog light. I also chose to install the switch the way I did so when the VSC is active the rocker is in and the ‘dot’ shows. The way it shows in the photo is with the VSC off. I hope my photos are clear and help everyone. I had fun doing the work and I think it came out pretty nice.

Last edited by ManyMods; 08-19-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:34 PM

^^^^ Nice job!! Do you like having the VSC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights staring at you though? I thought they were kinda redundant so I took out the VSC TRAC bulb...one less idiot light for me LOL
Old 09-14-2016, 03:26 AM

Vsc/trac light on dash

^^^^ Nice job!! Do you like having the VSC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights staring at you though? I thought they were kinda redundant so I took out the VSC TRAC bulb...one less idiot light for me LOL
I love having those features OFF. As for the dash lights, once I put those BLUE rubber covers over the bulbs changing the display to green. The display on the dash is slightly less than the shift indicator light which is also green. So, all in all I am extremely happy and grateful that someone had the knowledge and the willingness to tackle a problem that has been plaguing us for over a decade. I love what one member called the VSC/TRAC --- The "Oh Please Don't Kill Me" feature. So true.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:30 AM

I love having those features OFF. As for the dash lights, once I put those BLUE rubber covers over the bulbs changing the display to green. The display on the dash is slightly less than the shift indicator light which is also green. So, all in all I am extremely happy and grateful that someone had the knowledge and the willingness to tackle a problem that has been plaguing us for over a decade. I love what one member called the VSC/TRAC --- The "Oh Please Don't Kill Me" feature. So true.
I call it the "anti donut doing system" lol