General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stirring the pot, HID's are coming!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 shrouds? Clean.. Gotta get further from that wall though..

I'd post a few better output shots of mine... if my diff wasn't all over my garage... ring gear felt like losing some teeth
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Yep e46 that the only one that fit in the headlight
Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
see thats no fair, i cant do a good retrofit lol
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM

thats from 150yds, i kneeled down and the camera(my iphone) was about 3ft off the ground

from about 50yds(and like 10yds to the driverside) and chest height at around 5ft from the ground
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Just take your time there is no point rushing it
Old 11-25-2011, 02:07 AM

You don't see a bit of a glare problem there Camo? Come on man..

And I don't buy the whole "I can't" attitude. I literally had no idea what I was doing when I did my retro, I had never even tried to take a light apart prior.. The quick and easy way of doing it is take the projector apart (4 screws) and put the bowl to the back of your housing, trace a smaller than you need hole, and cut. Drill 4 holes for mounting bolts OR use epoxy and sand the hole (dremel) 'till the projector fits level and nice. Put the projector together again, and epoxy - or bolt - the thing in place when you have the rotational adjustment correct..

If you really want to get creative either vacuum form or heat form plexi / lexan for lenses - or... take your stock lenses and cut out a flat piece of lexan and butyl seal it to the front of the housing - clear lenses for like 10 bucks. You can get lexan at Lowes/Home hardware etc..

Check out www.hidplanet.com - a couple of your gen 4runners on there, and lots of good info and people.. Just know plug and play hids is a pretty big "nono" there. Like IFS is at Pirate4x4.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 AM

I know that I CAN, but since i barely have enough to feed myself, I can't afford to put $300 worth of upgraded lights on a truck I'm probably gonna sell.

You can suck one of ya don't approve. Lmao

I'm also gonna do this PNP kit to my buddies 2011 dodge 3/4ton.

No one else has a problem with it, even my girlfriend didnt have a problem when I followed behind her and she has a cobalt.

I can see these lights being a problem for someone in like a Mazda Miata, or BMW Z4 or Something...

The only reason I even posted anything about this is because I know other people are questioning how bad it is. And it's not THAT bad, all you guys just get all butt hurt when we don't do things the "right way"
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 AM

And these pics are taken with an IPHONE. It doesn't do well with bright lights.

I'll take a picture of the 55w fog lights I got wired up as backup lights later tonight and show y'all how much "glare" they put off.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Haha buddy trust me I know all about being broke as crap.. I saved up over time to get my hids, and if you go on www.hidplanet.com and look at the classifieds, theretrofitsource.com is having a "garage sale" on projectors - the model I have (mini H1) are going for $70 bucks shipped with shrouds.. Open to offers.. (previous gen, gen III's I have 4.1's, not a whole lot different..) another 20 bucks for H1 bulbs (your h4 will unfortunately not work..) use your ballasts you have now and for under 100 bucks you can have projected hids in your lights..

If you think you have an improvement NOW, wait till you see projectors.. I know it sounds like a lot of cash, $100 for lights seems like a big deal to a lot of people (it is to me, putting my fiance thru college + paying the mortgage and bills takes truck cash out of the equation..) but the performance you get from them is incredible.

Pick up some junk yard lights and throw projectors in them, if you decide to sell your rig, put the stock lights in and put the projectors into your next vehicle.. Not a big deal.

Last edited by dropzone; 11-25-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
camo I did the same conversion 2.5 years ago, here is what I ended up with:
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
HID replacing the H4's:

I knew I would be running into some clearance issues, HID bulb assembly needs a bit more room than the stand H4:

I had to move the battery over a little bit for bulb clearance:

to solve that I dug through my secret stash and found a battery mount I bought a couple of years ago

to solve clearance issues with the coolant overflow/washer reservoir I used 1/2" spacer made of CPVC and some junkyard screws :

here are some comparisons--
H4 Low beams:

H4 High beams:

HID's
low beams

High beams:

overall install time was not too bad, maybe two hours. I am really happy with the outcome.
Just need to align them
i didn't think the glare was that bad..after driving it for a while and seeing other trucks with just the HID bulbs and not projectors it finally sunk in what a bad idea it was.

The deal Exist posted for the mini's is awesome, one that I might just suck it up and order as it would be better that the projector kit i have sitting on the shelf ready to go in the truck..

Last edited by rworegon; 08-19-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
The deal Exist posted for the mini's is awesome, one that I might just suck it up and order as it would be better that the projector kit i have sitting on the shelf ready to go in the truck..
Damnit I wish I could drive my truck out of my garage to take some shots that really show how good these projectors are, especially compared to plug and play hids.. Soon as I get my truck back together I'll get some comparisons between e-code's with hids, stock 4runner lights with hids, and mine .. I'd like to show people a proper comparison in hopes it pushes more people into doing a projector setup.

I mean, come on - we spend how much on tires, brake conversions, solid axles or long travel, engine mods, armor... and cheap out on seeing the trail / the road?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM

i agree with exist. this is my third retro on my 4runner
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM

i think HIDs are great, yea there bright for other people, but i have them aimed correctly and there not to bad, but for some reason they cut out the other day, so i went and got the best halogen bulbs you can get, they were 80 freakin dollars a piece!!! they were just put in so i can see untill my new HIDs get here, the hids were only 75 dollars for both!
getting flashed with peoples brights is well worth it because i can actualy see and half of them cant, i got 12000k 55watt hids and they are not that blue, inbetween blue and white. and i have 12000k 55watt hids in a set of projector fog lights. i love my set up. if you want HIDs get on it
all these hater that say no HIDs are eather old or cant aford good HIDs. using a proper housing and aiming the lights right will keep from blinding people (unless your in my neck of the woods were half of the driving is up and down hills)
all these old farts are just by trying to down talk HIDs.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by AK.taco.kid
i went and got the best halogen bulbs you can get, they were 80 freakin dollars a piece!!!
You got ripped off...plain and simple.

getting flashed with peoples brights is well worth it because i can actualy see and half of them cant, i got 12000k 55watt hids and they are not that blue, inbetween blue and white.

all these hater that say no HIDs are eather old or cant aford good HIDs. using a proper housing and aiming the lights right will keep from blinding people (unless your in my neck of the woods were half of the driving is up and down hills)
Have you even read this thread? Not a single person has said HIDs are crap, just HIDs in reflector housings. Having a little common sense doesn't make you old or poor. Geezus. Do yourself a favor and read this:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM

i think HIDs are great, yea there bright for other people, but i have them aimed correctly and there not to bad,
Immediately lost all credibility...

but for some reason they cut out the other day,
because you got cheap bulbs and/or ballasts.

the hids were only 75 dollars for both!
lol..
getting flashed with peoples brights is well worth it because i can actualy see and half of them cant,
They can't see because you're blinding them...
i got 12000k 55watt hids and they are not that blue, inbetween blue and white. and i have 12000k 55watt hids in a set of projector fog lights. i love my set up. if you want HIDs get on it
wow... just.... wow....
all these hater that say no HIDs are eather old or cant aford good HIDs.
The irony is amazing here.. like.. wow..
using a proper housing and aiming the lights right will keep from blinding people
Oh the irony gets even better.....

...... I'm just blown away right now. I haven't witnessed this much HID related ignorance EVER..

Last edited by dropzone; 12-01-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 PM

To exist and BMcEL:

Amen...Gentlemen...amen...

And this speaks for itself:

"The only reason I even posted anything about this is because I know other people are questioning how bad it is. And it's not THAT bad, all you guys just get all butt hurt when we don't do things the "right way"'

Nothing else needs to be said.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM

and i said right way, as accodiring to the yotatech elders..

like i said before, mine are aimed to the right of the truck, so when i pass someone like say on the interstate, yea it blinds the hell out of them, for about 5 seconds.

still have not been flashed or anything..drove 300 mile round trip to work on a buddie's chevy that was broke down around Okemah, OK. never had any problems.

i could see even better if i could adjust mine like stock halogens, but then i would be blinding people.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
close your eyes for 5 seconds on the highway a few times. And close them for like 10 seconds at a time while in the city. Let us know how that works out for ya. You can aim them all you want and you will still have that light scatter which is what blinds people, it's not the beam that blinds them.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM

well until i start getting feedback from other drivers tellin me they're bright (as in flashing me) they're staying.

gonna get a set of 6" spotlights too
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by camo31_10.50
and i said right way, as accodiring to the yotatech elders..
Not sure why people think it's just the 'elders' that are against HIDs in reflector housings. I'm 23. Having a little common sense doesn't make you old...that thought honestly makes me laugh.

From lighting expert Daniel Stern:

There are NO legitimate or safe HID bulb retrofits for halogen headlamps.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html

I think we can all agree that THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO PUT HIDS IN REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. Anyone who says there is either hasn't done their research or is mildly retarded (probably the latter). Otherwise you're accepting the fact it's a bad idea and doing it anyway (usually the case). I can't stop anyone from doing the conversion but I'll be damned if anyone tries to say it's a good idea.

Edit - and I think people haven't been flashing you because there are so many of these conversions out there now it's just a waste of time. I rarely got flashed when I had a pnp kit but I know for a fact I was blinding people.

Last edited by BMcEL; 11-30-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Stirring the pot, HID's are coming!